Army surplus

Discussion in 'SMB' started by Dave Herbal, Apr 15, 2019 at 12:25 PM.

1. Dave Herbal

Dave Herbal Striker

Looking at rucksacks and there are some army bergens that are considerably cheaper than the camping shop equivalents.
    Are they any good for the occasional camping trip or is all MoD stuff shite?

2. HABA87

HABA87 Winger

That Military 1st site looks decent.

3. Kevj

Kevj Striker

Decent quality gear, or at least they used to be. I’ve got an older bergen which is still going strong.

Not as fancy as the civvy stuff, but definitely built to last. The one I’ve got is modular too, so the side pouches zip on and off and can be used as a stand alone day sack with the correct yolk.

Dave Herbal likes this.
  4. RYHOPER1

RYHOPER1 Midfield

5. duff_man

duff_man Striker

Dave has finally gone and flipped, be living wild in seaburn dene this time next week.

6. weebil64

weebil64 Winger

Are they bulletproof?

7. Dave Herbal

Dave Herbal Striker

8. luvulongtime

luvulongtime Striker

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 2:50 PM
  9. Horatio Pugwash

Horatio Pugwash Striker

I think I've got one in the garage you can have

Dave Herbal likes this.
  10. Martin F

Martin F Winger

Built to last, unlike the high street brands.

11. Bollotti

Bollotti Midfield

I have a Bergen, which I must of had for 20 years. Still going strong. On the other hand some of the civvy rucksack just drop to bits after a couple of years.

12. socrates

socrates Striker

13. CW7

CW7 Full Back

Shit - thought this was about Wacky Races.

14. Farfrom Athletic

Farfrom Athletic Goalkeeper

Bulletproof if you excuse the pun, however the new Virtus one’s are shite.

15. duff_man

duff_man Striker

Karrimor used to make good rucksacks until fat mike ruined them

16. The Exile

The Exile Striker

Get the newer dpm pattern stuff.

The action man gear is sturdy, but my normal work shirts have gone from being 100 % cotton Ben Shermans to 66% polyester 33% cotton over two decades. Every expense spared.

17. humbug

humbug Striker

'just popping out for a pint of milk love...'

[​IMG]

peil likes this.
  18. RYHOPER1

RYHOPER1 Midfield

19. Don’t get upset if the kids start chanting ooh Jonny Rambo when you pitch up your tent.

20. gipetto

gipetto Striker

It depends what size you want mate. I have three.

I've got a Karrimor SF Sabre 45 with the two additional side pockets which add another 25 litres of storage so that's 70 litres in total. It's a cracking back pack if you're going camping.

If you want something a bit smaller, I've got a 35 litre 5.11 Tactical Rush pack, much smaller than the above, but still big enough to carry camping gear. You can add molle pouches if you wish.

I've recently bought a 20 litre mil-tec backpack that's 20 litres, it's just a day pack really but if you're creative, you could definitely use it for camping. You'd have to customise it mind as it wouldn't fit all camping equipment inside, unless you rely on a hammock instead of a tent.