Ark Street Consett, Durham, ring any bells?

A Latvian parent of one of my pupils recognised my accent today and asked me where I was from. It turns out his grandfather escaped from the Soviets during the WW2 and ended up in the North East for the next 25 years. The parent had tried to find the house for sentimental reasons but evidence of its existence no longer exists. Can anyone help please? I presume it was knocked down as I've seen the photos and they look like typical mining houses. Thanks.

A Latvian parent of one of my pupils recognised my accent today and asked me where I was from. It turns out his grandfather escaped from the Soviets during the WW2 and ended up in the North East for the next 25 years. The parent had tried to find the house for sentimental reasons but evidence of its existence no longer exists. Can anyone help please? I presume it was knocked down as I've seen the photos and they look like typical mining houses. Thanks.
On a side note, did you manage to escape the worst of the flooding?

Ark Street was next to Green Street Consett. There is a "Consett and District Heritage Initiative" Facebook Page, and they love owt like this. Somebody on there will maybe be able to help

I lived in Ark street 1953-1963ish. Do you have access to the photos? I'd love to see them.

Back