Arena of Light

What gigs have we had on like?

Some crap guitar band from, guess where, Sunderland?

Some one-'hit'-wonder from the '90s with shit haircuts and rain macs?

One fraction of M-People?

That's why they don't sell.

I must have missed those.
Split Festival? Did that ever sell out? Load sof gigs at the Manor Quay back in the day who sold out elsewhere and couldn't here.
Sunniside Festival - did that ever sell out?

The bloke will be skint with some of the stupid suggestions from off here.

Why not build an airport to fly people into the arena while he's at it,or dredge the river so he can get a few cruise ships to dock out the back of the west stand.
There are plans in place for medium size cruise ships to come to sunderland,

Split Festival? Did that ever sell out? Load sof gigs at the Manor Quay back in the day who sold out elsewhere and couldn't here.
Sunniside Festival - did that ever sell out?
'Cos look at the clip of the lineups man. The Sunderland niche of indie with a mix of 90s nostalgia.

And how big were Catfish when you had them in a 100-odd venue? How big are they now for that matter?

Nee offence, I dinnar who ya work for, but it's all a bit small fry innit?

I'm talking about an arena that might have hosted the likes of Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Arianna Grande, Little Mix. Ya kna, people everybody's heard of.

It's by the by now. It's not happening, won't ever happen. But it could and should have been done years ago. The fact yay couldn't flog a few more tickets for a fresh-faced indie troupe from Sheffield doesn't really hold up as a reason why it couldn't have.

The only "steal" there is that the NIA has taken pretty much everything from the NEC. Which was always going to happen because the NIA is central, and the NEC is half way to Coventry, next to the airport.

We're talking a much smaller scale here - 1000/2000 type gigs where Wolverhampton has the civic hall complex; Birmingham a couple of options. Get's some bands, in part because that venue has a richer history than the Birmingham ones, but not many.

The NEC is also a shite venue, but that's all East of Birmingham action anyway.

'Cos look at the clip of the lineups man. The Sunderland niche of indie with a mix of 90s nostalgia.

And how big were Catfish when you had them in a 100-odd venue? How big are they now for that matter?

Nee offence, I dinnar who ya work for, but it's all a bit small fry innit?

I'm talking about an arena that might have hosted the likes of Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Arianna Grande, Little Mix. Ya kna, people everybody's heard of.

It's by the by now. It's not happening, won't ever happen. But it could and should have been done years ago. The fact yay couldn't flog a few more tickets for a fresh-faced indie troupe from Sheffield doesn't really hold up as a reason why it couldn't have.

Cheers Chris Wallace from Houghton-le-Spring, your feedback is much appreciated.

We're talking a much smaller scale here - 1000/2000 type gigs where Wolverhampton has the civic hall complex; Birmingham a couple of options. Get's some bands, in part because that venue has a richer history than the Birmingham ones, but not many.

The NEC is also a shite venue, but that's all East of Birmingham action anyway.

Yeah - I know Wolverhampton Civic. Brum doesn't actually have that much in that range. Symphony Hall is much bigger. The Town Hall and Digbeth Civic might fall into that category, but their are practical difficulties at both getting gear in and out.

Yeah - I know Wolverhampton Civic. Brum doesn't actually have that much in that range. Symphony Hall is much bigger. The Town Hall and Digbeth Civic might fall into that category, but their are practical difficulties at both getting gear in and out.

Digbeth Civic is the main one now. Is it the old Irish centre - I have a gig booked there for later in year and its been ages since I went to a gig in Birmingham, let alone that part of town.

I disagree with the comments that Sunderland couldn't sell gigs out. Scarborough OAT every year has massive names and they all sell out easily and Scarborough is not easier to get to nor does it have the capitive area like Sunderland either. I've never in my lifetime knew of a good gig in Sunderland in terms of something people actually want to see outside the Stadium of Light.

The North East badly needs an arena which is around 4k - 5k imo as there's plenty bands who know they won't sell out the Utilta / New Arena in Newcastle as it's too big and there's not enough people are so you end up having a half capacity which is just crap for everyone. Next after that your down to the O2 Academy / City Hall which are 2k each which are a way too small and a waste of time.

It should be on the Vaux or Civic Centre sites though not near the football ground.

Back