Are we over or under achieving this season?

Doesn't seem to be doing Portsmouth any harm lately. They are bang in form and have caught us back up pretty quickly

Maybe smiler. But the loss plus the international weekend hasnt helped. Who knows. Livid about those 2 homes last week like.

You're talking complete bollocks. Your opening gambit was "whole new squad" and it patently isn't. The players who've underperformed this season were all added by the manager. The teams who finished first and second in this league last season both signed more players than we did at the start of the season and for far less outlay.
There's absolutely no excuses for failure this season. The manager inherited a solid core and has been well backed by the owners.

How's it bollocks? In our previous two matches alone we've had 13 and 15 players in the match day squad that weren't in the squad last season! So as far as squads go that's a massive overhaul. It's far from bollocks, we've got a new manager with as good as a new squad to except 4-5 youve mentioned.. The aim was promotion so how the.hell are we underachieving when top two is in our hands and play offs guaranteed.

Tbh its a miracle we're in the position we're in with the two centre backs we have playing for us.

Last edited:
Were the names I mentioned here or not and are most of them first team regulars or not? Our leading scorers were both here. Our captain was here. Most of the shite we have has been signed by Ross.

Yet you continue to ignore the fact that lately we've had comfortably more than half of our first 11 playing in our last team lately. Hume made one appearance last season. Honeyman was still shite last season. Maja made a handful of appearances
This. We're underachieving. We should have walked this league. No excuses. The fact that we have drawn so many games and struggled to beat teams shows we are now on par with a lot of teams in this league. If we don't go up it will be a disaster.

We signed league one players to compete in league one, there was no signing that stood out and screamed championship quality and screamed we should walk this league.

What is the obsession with this "lowest ever finish"? If we finish 2nd and go up, it will be a successful season

I don't think that's correct
It will be a success but it will also be our lowest ever :) I'll be over the moon however we go up if we do. The question remains, how can you call our lowest achievement "over achieving? :)

Yet you continue to ignore the fact that lately we've had comfortably more than half of our first 11 playing in our last team lately. Hume made one appearance last season. Honeyman was still shite last season. Maja made a handful of appearances

We signed league one players to compete in league one, there was no signing that stood out and screamed championship quality and screamed we should walk this league.

Absolutely. Look at our defence, a L2 CM at right back, two L1 reserves at CB. We have strong CM options yes and the best winger in the league - but the rest are pretty average. We also have a half fit Grigg up front and the other striker we spent money on has spent half the season injured.

We have a good squad, but not the amazing one people keep talking about.

Compared to our long history and the one and only time we've previously been in this league.

History is irrelevant though - we are here from the last decades worth of problems and we are no longer the Bank of England club and have never been in my lifetime.

Our previous to this level is also absolutely irrelevant.

With the team changes, new ownership and problems we have had, this new start can have aspirations and desires but no cast iron guarantees.

How's it bollocks? In our previous two matches alone we've had 13 and 15 players in the match day squad that weren't in the squad last season! So as far as squads go that's a massive overhaul. It's far from bollocks, we've got a new manager with as good as a new squad to except 4-5 youve mentioned.. The aim was promotion so how the.hell are we underachieving when top two is in our hands and play offs guaranteed.

Tbh its a miracle we're in the position we're in with the two centre backs we have playing for us.

It is bollocks. He had two full backs, two CM's, two wide players and a striker who were all first choice at the start of the season. That's 7 of 11. Have a look on Statcat and you'll see that 6 of the 10 outfield starters in the first few games were already at the club.....as well as 4 or 5 of the 7 subs.....and we got off to a flying start.

I think we need to wait until the end of the season - if we go up automatically then can't argue with the outcome achieved.
If we go up via the play-offs then again it's objective achieved (but the manner of this would not fill me with confidence).
If we don't go up (fail in the play offs) then that is a definite under achievement and I would have serious doubts over whether Ross is the right man for the job.

I have two main concerns so far this season:

1) We have not improved since the autumn, no obvious style of play developing and if anything have slipped back a little while clubs such as Barnsley, Luton and Charlton (Charlton had all sorts of off-field problems at the start of the season) have improved as the season has gone on

2) Ross has not demonstrated any nous in player recruitment - only unqualified success out of numerous signings is our goalkeeper. Signing job lots of players from the Scottish pub leagues never works - Strachan signed a load of Celtic players for Boro in the championship and they struggled.

History is irrelevant though - we are here from the last decades worth of problems and we are no longer the Bank of England club and have never been in my lifetime.

Our previous to this level is also absolutely irrelevant.

With the team changes, new ownership and problems we have had, this new start can have aspirations and desires but no cast iron guarantees.

Who's talking about cast iron guarantees? We're talking about expectations based on the history and size of the club coupled with the new debt free status and budget size relevant to our competitors. Fans of this club have every right to expect that those factors should ensure any stay in this league is a very short one.

Its been a strange season, but its not over yet so impossible to say IMO. If we go up its been successful, if not then of course it would be disappointing. However, most seasons, the points total we look like we'll have would be enough for promotion. Still a lot can happen in the games that are left. We came into the season with a big unknown a lot of things. 1 thing the club has now is a bit of pride again. We have players who are willing to fight for the shirt and if we didnt go up, we should be in a very strong position (on the field) to do so next season. Hopefully we get up 1 way or another though this year

It will be a success but it will also be our lowest ever :) I'll be over the moon however we go up if we do. The question remains, how can you call our lowest achievement "over achieving? :)
Because you have to understand the context. This time last year the club was on it's knees - double relegation and a disaffected squad, most of whom had no desire to be here and a fan base on the slide.
New owners, new manager and about 14 players on day one. We didn't sign anyone until late June - for us to be anywhere near ready to compete by August was a minor miracle.
Don't forget, McGeady missed the first 9 games of the season, and the midfield didn't really settle down until Leadbitter signed in Jan
We've also lost a lad who scored 16 goals in 26 starts

Its been a strange season, but its not over yet so impossible to say IMO. If we go up its been successful, if not then of course it would be disappointing. However, most seasons, the points total we look like we'll have would be enough for promotion. Still a lot can happen in the games that are left. We came into the season with a big unknown a lot of things. 1 thing the club has now is a bit of pride again. We have players who are willing to fight for the shirt and if we didnt go up, we should be in a very strong position (on the field) to do so next season. Hopefully we get up 1 way or another though this year
Agree 100%

We've sold players for over £20M and sacked two who cost us over £20M. We've replaced the 'keeper and back four, lost our top scorer, had numerous, significant injuries (McGeady, Maguire, Watmore etc) and have an imbalanced squad. We lack pace and physicality in midfield, so often struggle to compete, even against midtable sides. I think it's a bloody miracle we're in with a chance of automatic promotion. If we go up, under these circumstances, it'll be a remarkable achievement.

Wow!

Miracle? That is some take right there....

Before the season I’d have snapped your hands off for a play off place, now however I’d be extremely disappointed if we didn’t finish top 2.

Don’t think I could take another year of playing these poxy little shit house clubs.

By being capable of understanding the phrase ‘over achieving’ in the context of this season, per the thread title.

If we don't finish top 2 we deserve it

If we hadn't drawn so many games we'd be sitting pretty

Overall we've overachieved but we've fallen short at totting up time
So falling short for you is not being promoted by mid-April? Or have you just decided already we are not going up?

Last edited:
Massively underachieving given our resources.

Yes I agree. If we had got off to a hangover of a start and gradually improved I wouldn't be so bothered. We now have team that looks easier to play against and less organized than we had in the first month of the season and that's the managers fault IMO.

A manager that had a solid start behind him and has McLaughlin, McGeady and the spending power to bring in the likes of Grigg and Wyke should be easily automatic promotion in this league.

Back