Are the government doing enough?

Are the government doing enough?

• Yes

Votes: 95 48.7%
  • No

Votes: 100 51.3%

• Total voters

And the point I was making in my post was?..........
The fictitious point you were making was that SK wont have any resources left to combat a second wave , given that the germans are copying SKs blueprint ,either both countries should have contacted you first to find out where they were going wrong or ,we, who you say are doing it right , with our vastly bigger death rates are , have the superior modus operandi.

The fictitious point you were making was that SK wont have any resources left to combat a second wave , given that the germans are copying SKs blueprint ,either both countries should have contacted you first to find out where they were going wrong or ,we, who you say are doing it right , with our vastly bigger death rates are , have the superior modus operandi.
Ah so the South Korean government were making it up then? And the rest of Asia fearful of a second wave hitting them?

I havent said either of them are doing it right or wrong so pipe down and jump back in your box

I'm anything but a Tory. I think the approach would have broadly the same whoever was in government so it is up to people to do their part (the majority are).
So your either denying or ignoring the systematic underfunding of the NHS for the last decade then ?

Under the Dail Mail comment piece they mention creating a “Minister for Testing”

“Or a leading political figure? Jeremy Hunt fits the bill.

He's a successful businessman and, as the longest-serving Health Secretary, knows his way around Whitehall. The ex-Conservative leadership candidate commands respect”

:eek: :rolleyes:

not sure Jeremy hunt sleeps too comfortably mind, as health secretary around the time the nhs pandemic Stress test exercise was conducted and more or less ignored in 2016.....

So your either denying or ignoring the systematic underfunding of the NHS for the last decade then ?

Would you have preferred the Government has said 5 years ago that we're giving the NHS an extra £1B but it has to be spent on a load of ventilators and masks we might or might not need ?

The Germans are doing exactkycwamhat the Koreans did . Testing everybody and actively chasing up anybody who has been in contact with a positive tested person.
South Korea aren't special, they knew this shit was coming and got in early and created loads of tests by stockpiling. You do also know that South Korea on average have tested about 7,500 per day. Recently, out of 410,000 tests only 10,000 have tested positive so that potentially means very few, unlike the UK, have had it and recovered or not even shown symptoms. So all that testing will come to nothing if they try to live life normally given the lack of immunity from people who've gone through infection. So do they just keep in a permanent semi lockdown until the vaccine is found? If we keep the old and vulnerable safe then surely it will allow us to have a more relaxed measures in the future and to stay well within the NHS capacity?

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/coronavirus-compendium-thread.1502050/page-772#post-31458846

As for Germany, they're not doing exactly what South Korea did and tried to but haven't stopped the outbreak. They're expecting it to get worse plus a lot of their cases have been younger people but now it's hitting older people. They had 128 deaths yesterday and there have been questions raised as to how they recording deaths.

The time in BBC video should be 1:52:10

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/coronavirus-compendium-thread.1502050/page-777#post-31460754
https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/coronavirus-compendium-thread.1502050/page-777#post-31460561
https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/3000-new-cases-and-374-new-deaths.1511982/page-3#post-31461034

At the moment it's too early to be saying what is right and what is wrong and which countries are doing the right things. A potential game changer is when the antibody tests are eventually available and rolled out so millions can be tested (after the NHS and essential workers) to see just how many have actually had it. The Imperial College estimate that around 15% have had it in Spain (7m), 9.8% in Italy (6m), 2.7% in UK (1.8m) and only 0.72% in Germany (600,000). I hope it's higher in the UK and given just how many reckon they've had it then maybe so.

Bear in mind that Germany doing all those tests have probably just tested all the people who in the UK would have just been self isolated, hence their lower average age rate for cases. So therefore if the UK had tested people with the main symptoms then all they would have done is increased the case figures but the death figures wouldn't change. However I agree, the front line should be getting tested though and they should be the main priority at the moment.

Anyway, enough said :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Why did you reply to it then ? Would you have preferred it or not ?
I'm not sure how 10 years of NHS underfunding means that some countries don't have enough tests so need to use them . Germany may have tested 1,000's more but if we had then we'd probably have 1,000's more cases from many of the same people self isolating at the moment.

South Korea designed tests and ordered raw materials way back in January. Countries have since been withholding stocks of PPE & medical resources and even stopping them at borders creating a worldwide shortage. China has been knocking out cheap tat that has been rejected. It's basically the bog roll & pasta situation at the moment on a global scale.

I see the answer as to why Germany are testing so many is the same reason as South Korea, they started designing a test mid February. So again, just how much bog roll and pasta did they stockpile to make all these tests?

One question to ask, is why haven't Germany/South Korea simply shared their test methods instead of countries fannying on trying to create their own and therefore a panic buy situation for materials. Look at Spain, they got some from a Chinese company and they were 30% reliable!

For me, it's the bog roll and pasta situation on a global scale and certainly fuck all to do with 10 years of underfunding the NHS.

I'm not sure how 10 years of NHS underfunding means that some countries don't have enough tests so need to use them . Germany may have tested 1,000's more but if we had then we'd probably have 1,000's more cases from many of the same people self isolating at the moment.

South Korea designed tests and ordered raw materials way back in January. Countries have since been withholding stocks of PPE & medical resources and even stopping them at borders creating a worldwide shortage. China has been knocking out cheap tat that has been rejected. It's basically the bog roll & pasta situation at the moment on a global scale.

I see the answer as to why Germany are testing so many is the same reason as South Korea, they started designing a test mid February. So again, just how much bog roll and pasta did they stockpile to make all these tests?

One question to ask, is why haven't Germany/South Korea simply shared their test methods instead of countries fannying on trying to create their own and therefore a panic buy situation for materials. Look at Spain, they got some from a Chinese company and they were 30% reliable!

For me, it's the bog roll and pasta situation on a global scale and certainly fuck all to do with 10 years of underfunding the NHS.

The basic test is used routinely throughout the world for detecting viruses and not just in humans. An NHS spokesperson on Newsnight last night said they’d got some spare test kits from their local veterinary lab. It depends on knowing the unique sequences from a virus that will identify it and the sequence was released quickly - scientists around the world have had it for a while. It hasn’t been kept secret. Germany and South Korea are using the same methods everyone else is but their governments planned ahead for testing and got hold of the reagents to do it. The reagents are used by lots of labs in this country for research and diagnosis and several companies, universities etc have offered to provide reagents for testing that they have on hand and some are offering help by providing people and facilities to do it. Apparently the NHS has capacity for about 8.5k tests per day at present so they’re almost at capacity now. There are plenty of competent scientists in the country familiar with the technique - biotechnology is something we do very well here. I suspect that, as someone else pointed out, the polymerase needed could be the limiting factor at the moment. Someone was suggesting that Germany had a good supply because large pharma companies there produce it. Not sure if we have home produced polymerase. The government haven’t been on the ball with this partly because the original plan for herd immunity didn’t involve mass testing just a large number of cases.

Back