Are the echo for real or what?

girojim

Striker
Dear reader,

Football is back with a bang, and what a weekend of it we have ahead! Of course, all of us here at the Echo have got our red and white scarves ready for Sunderland's date with Oxford United on Saturday.

If you’re backing The Black Cats too, then we want to make sure you don’t miss out on a single moment of the action. With our brand new digital Season Pass, you can get a front row view of each and every game for a whole year, brought to you by our fantastic sport reporters.

For just £39.95, you’ll get a whole year of unrestricted access to all the sporting stories on our website. From real-time match updates to insightful post-game analysis, plus all the latest news and gossip from the Stadium of Light before anyone else covers it, we’ve got you sorted.

I've got my red and white scarf ready and I am in a good mood today, so I think I will offer unrestricted access to the whole of RTG for a special discount price of £59.99 I can't offer you " news and gossip from the Stadium of Light before anyone else covers it " though - clearly the Echo are better at that.

It shows how local news papers are struggling.

Back in the day I used to pick up the sports echo on the way back from the match. Impressive that it was in SavaCentre by about the time I had made it back on the bus. For away games, I used to look forward to the fans report in ALS (monthly catch up) to get a bit more of a real view.

Then we had the previous incarnation of this board, the FTM Exec Club, were you got a range of fan reports within a few hours of the game finishing. Spending a year being punished for sins in a former life, living in Bristol, ALS was hard to come by so I started just using this board and news sites. (97/98 season)

Then we had the chat room with matchday live discussion for games I couldn't attend. Now we have active match threads, reports and analysis, discussion (and plenty of disagreement!) and although harder since our top flight days, streaming to just watch the game anyway.

Fan reports are something that seem to have died out a bit. Probably 10+ years, you would have a well written match report from a few posters, now it is all views and discussion, but you do have free access to 10 minutes of highlights giving more than a match report would.

The need to read the likes of the Echo is pretty low.

Ha, ha!

That tickled me. Are they just practising for April 1st., or do they spend Friday lunchtime in the pub? 😁

Just shows how out of touch, "local" newspapers are. There's literally no need for any of that.

I'm amazed physical newspapers are still going, but surely no one is paying £35 for stuff you can find for free (bar the views of whoever is the journo for the Echo these days).

Most of their stories are just regurgitated from elsewhere. Can't remember when the Echo last had a genuine exclusive? Was it that Arbenit Xhemajli wasn't signing?

All they have over, say fanzines, is access to press conferences - and there are other papers where you'll go to get them quotes if you're desperate to read them.

Dear reader,

Football is back with a bang, and what a weekend of it we have ahead! Of course, all of us here at the Echo have got our red and white scarves ready for Sunderland's date with Oxford United on Saturday.

If you’re backing The Black Cats too, then we want to make sure you don’t miss out on a single moment of the action. With our brand new digital Season Pass, you can get a front row view of each and every game for a whole year, brought to you by our fantastic sport reporters.

For just £39.95, you’ll get a whole year of unrestricted access to all the sporting stories on our website. From real-time match updates to insightful post-game analysis, plus all the latest news and gossip from the Stadium of Light before anyone else covers it, we’ve got you sorted.
Bargain

Dear reader,

If it’s anything like their website is set up it’ll just be adverts for pandora jewellery f***ing everywhere .

Back