Are lies always a bad thing?

Panhead

Winger
Basically as some of you may have seen on another thread, we had to have our Labrador put to sleep suddenly last Sunday. Very very traumatic experience, and I know it is part and parcel of owning pets. What makes it ten times worse is we rang the vets on the Tuesday to arrange her individual cremation and to pick out her urn etc etc. We were told on the night to ring before the following Friday so she could be picked up and returned to us this week. I received a phone call last Wednesday and told she had been placed in a "wrong coloured bag" and was therefore taken on the Monday and had a communal cremation the next day (basically along with road kill) and we cannot obviously get her ashes returned to us. All I can imagine is she has just been dumped in a bin or put in a landfill. Absolutely f***ing finished me off if i'm being honest.

Was talking to the wife last night, and basically cannot understand why the vets told us, they could have just got in touch with pet crematorium, explained situation and had them send out an urn. We'd have been none the wiser, and would not have had the extra stress not getting her ashes back has caused.

I'm almost completely incapable of lying.

Even if its a totally minor thing it just eats away at me. Can't decide if its weakness or a positive character trait.

I think I could massage the truth to a degree. E.g. to protect a young child, if I had one.

In your situation they probably thought they were doing the right thing. Damned if they do damned if they don't.

Basically as some of you may have seen on another thread, we had to have our Labrador put to sleep suddenly last Sunday. Very very traumatic experience, and I know it is part and parcel of owning pets. What makes it ten times worse is we rang the vets on the Tuesday to arrange her individual cremation and to pick out her urn etc etc. We were told on the night to ring before the following Friday so she could be picked up and returned to us this week. I received a phone call last Wednesday and told she had been placed in a "wrong coloured bag" and was therefore taken on the Monday and had a communal cremation the next day (basically along with road kill) and we cannot obviously get her ashes returned to us. All I can imagine is she has just been dumped in a bin or put in a landfill. Absolutely f***ing finished me off if i'm being honest.

Was talking to the wife last night, and basically cannot understand why the vets told us, they could have just got in touch with pet crematorium, explained situation and had them send out an urn. We'd have been none the wiser, and would not have had the extra stress not getting her ashes back has caused.

Jesus how upsetting. No doubt an innocent mistake but that doesn't make it any better. Sorry to hear that she was put to sleep.

As traumatic as that must be for you I don't really think you can be unhappy with the vets for telling you the truth. By all means be unhappy with them for making such a mistake obviously.

The vet's may well have gotten in touch with the crematorium & asked them to send you some random ashes but for the crematorium to do that would be unethical & quite probably be illegal so they'd be well within their rights to decline.

Incompetent twats.

Nowt wrong with a few white lies but something as serious as that shouldn't be lied about.

Something like that needs the truth, I understand its upsetting to you, but I don't see how they could knowingly mislead you given that it's such an emotive subject. Sorry to hear about your dog though.

One of those things where they would have done the decent thing and had it massively backfire on them.

As they say, "No good deed goes unpunished".

The bairns had an urn full of ashes out of our fireplace ever since her horse died.
:lol:

I think it’s been covered, it would be unethical and inconceivable that two separate organisations would lie to protect one or the other.

You should create somewhere or something special to remember it by, as a way of finding some comfort. For example a bench, or plant a tree.

On a side note, I noticed there was a pet graveyard at Jesmond Dene Park.

Back