Arcade Fire - The Suburbs

Venkman

Striker
Ten years old last week. Greatest indie rock record of all time? Always held Funeral as their best and still do regard it as one of the very best debuts of all time, but having revisited the Suburbs (remember getting the album on release and it coming with the video for 'We Used to Wait' where you had to put your address in, I liked it then, but didn't love it like Funeral) its just perfect from start to finish. In lyrics, cohesion, emotion, everything.

Saw them live around the time, was amazing. Then kind of lost interest while every now and then going back to Funeral. Never even bothered with Reflektor or Everything Now. Will have to as Reflektor is now considered as up there with their very best.

Ten years old last week. Greatest indie rock record of all time? Always held Funeral as their best and still do regard it as one of the very best debuts of all time, but having revisited the Suburbs (remember getting the album on release and it coming with the video for 'We Used to Wait' where you had to put your address in, I liked it then, but didn't love it like Funeral) its just perfect from start to finish. In lyrics, cohesion, emotion, everything.

Saw them live around the time, was amazing. Then kind of lost interest while every now and then going back to Funeral. Never even bothered with Reflektor or Everything Now. Will have to as Reflektor is now considered as up there with their very best.

superb band and record. City with no children my favourite track.

Reflektor is excellent although it’s more electronic based.

Will have to as Reflektor is now considered as up there with their very best.
Is it? Bar a few songs I thought is was a pretty poor album.

The suburbs though is class. I always struggle to choose between that and funeral as my favourite. And completely agree about it being amazing live.

Brilliant, brilliant album. Best album of 2010 and it had some competition.

It just gives you a feeling listening to it.

All of their albums are great though, even Everything Now.

Is it? Bar a few songs I thought is was a pretty poor album.

The suburbs though is class. I always struggle to choose between that and funeral as my favourite. And completely agree about it being amazing live.

Apparently so, panned when it came out but over time become to be regarded as excellent if a little long. Going to give it a go.
They were fantastic, just wish I'd seen them somewhere smaller than an arena.
Brilliant, brilliant album. Best album of 2010 and it had some competition.

It just gives you a feeling listening to it.

All of their albums are great though, even Everything Now.

I'm not a huge fan of Neon Bible, but even that is better than much of other band's output and has some wonderful songs on it.

Last edited:
Apparently so, panned when it came out but over time become to be regarded as excellent if a little long. Going to give it a go.
They were fantastic, just wish I'd seen them somewhere smaller than an arena.
May give it another go too. Always really liked Reflector, We Exist & Normal Person but struggled with the rest.

I saw them at castlefield bowl a few years back on the everything now tour and they were class. Probably the smallest venue I've seen them in too

It has 20 mins of filler in it. Isn't a patch on Funeral as a cohesive piece of work.

I think they've got progressively worse with every record. They can still write good pop tunes but the last few records have been uninspiring with far too many frankly shit tracks.

Funeral is better no? I'd say that's the best indie rock album. Turn on the Bright Lights, Dear Science and a few others are better than The Suburbs IMO.

I agree that it's a better album than Funeral. Though both are superb, I think The Suburbs improves with age. Sprawl II is an absolutely perfect song.

Love them but there's a song on the Everything Now album that is quite frankly a piss take it's that rank. Don't have the skills to post it on here but I'm sure someone can. It's stand out bad so I'm sure you'll know which one I mean.

I actually laughed the first time I heard it. Can't remember the name.

Last edited:

Back