April Voting Thread - Chiaroscuro

April Challenge winner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

I thought it was an interesting competition this month. I've applied a fairly rigid definition of the theme whereby the photograph should pay attention to the contrast between tones in order to create the visual appeal in the image. Just having some light and some shade or being black and white is not enough for me!

Right, here goes:

TomTomMacute - An impeccable start to the competition. I honestly didn't think it would be bettered when I first saw it. Nailed the theme and it's a class shot to boot. vote

Clyde - I didn't think TTM's shot would be beaten until I saw this. Pure class. Looks like a pretty cool event you were at (I wish there was stuff like that to shoot around here) and it's a fantastic shot. To capture rapidly unfolding action with such creative flair is a rare skill. vote

Janiep - A nice idea but, for me, the light just doesn't fall on the places I'd want it to. The composition is not my cup of tea, in as much as that the statue's face is pressed up against the edge of the frame. My guess is that you've composed to include the wing (this is the kind of stuff that's part of the real challenge for a photographer) but it feels a little awkward for me.

Andrewcoates 77 - I hate to appear like a bad get, but for me this is not chiaroscuro. It's just black and white! Nice choice of subject though.

Tired Eyes - Nice idea and quite funny.

Les the Scientist - I like the idea of the expressive lighting. I just feel like when you set up a shot like this it should tell a story. Maybe I'm just an idiot and can't spot it. It's the most likely explanation!

Lucky Knickers - Excellent shot, but it feels more contre jour than chiaroscuro to me.

Phil - I really like the shapes created by the light and shade in this. To me, this is what chiaroscuro is all about. The only thing stopping me from voting for it is that there is not real point of interest in the shot. My eyes kind of float about the frame without ever being drawn to anything in particular.

Great Soprendo - I love your choice of subject but the composition doesn't work for me. I would've gone in tighter and really made the two doors, separated by the shadow line, my subject. Good eye, though.

IanHesfordbaitbox - I absolutely love this shot. The way you've spotted the 'burst' created by the relationship between light and shade. For me, this is the purpose of chiaroscuro. vote

Huejorgan - I can see what you were going for here but I don't think you got the right light for it. As a result, I don't think it meets the theme.

SHYTALLKNIGHT - Nice shot. A really great night shot. I just don't think it meets the theme.

Thank Heaven for Shed 7 - I'm happy with the way it looks on my monitor but I guess I fucked it up! I've got some nasty dirt on my sensor so I have to 'heal' it out of every shot in PS. I'm guessing I had this brush still selected instead of the dodge/burn tool when I was darkening the left side. In terms of taking a good photograph that meets the theme, this is probably my favourite shot of mine so far.

Elliott - Beautiful shot. Doesn't meet the theme for me though.

Madmackem - I like the subject a lot. It isn't really overly illustrative of chiaroscuro photography though.

NotSpavin - I can totally see what you were going for, I just don't think you quite pulled it off. I'd be interested to see the softened shot that you decided not to enter.

Peachbum- Really clever idea but (perhaps I'm applying a really strict interpretation of the theme) there aren't strong enough contrasts between the light and shade. Very clever though and I can see a very individual style developing in your shots.

Cook - Really good shot. Just more contre jour than chiaroscuro.

Taipeisafc - Nice shot. I just found it a bit too similar to some other shots that you'd entered in the past.

Mainze - Nice shot. The composition doesn't quite work for me. I would've gotten in a little tighter. You seem to be taking to this photography lark quite nicely! (Unless you've been doing it for ages....I'm just sure you said you were new to it.

Amnorrageordie - Smart idea, really well executed. vote

AndyM - Fantastic shot. Is it contre jour rather than chiaroscuro? I don't know, I just know that it's f***ing class. But digital? Are you feeling okay?! I also can't believe that you're digital is a 5D mkII! vote

A tough but rewarding month I think.

Cannot argue with that, I think the same myself I need to make some effort to find some new subjects (it was pretty much the same shot as my Rule of Thirds entry)
To be fair though, each shot should be judged independently, and Andy M has probably entered three of that train now?:?:

To be fair though, each shot should be judged independently, and Andy M has probably entered three of that train now?:?:

I can think of one other Andy M shot from the competitions featuring a bloke, a train and some steam. My view is that a) they're different enough and b) I'm just completely blown away by the shot anyway. It's stunning.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was an interesting competition this month. I've applied a fairly rigid definition of the theme whereby the photograph should pay attention to the contrast between tones in order to create the visual appeal in the image. Just having some light and some shade or being black and white is not enough for me!

Right, here goes:

TomTomMacute - An impeccable start to the competition. I honestly didn't think it would be bettered when I first saw it. Nailed the theme and it's a class shot to boot. vote

Clyde - I didn't think TTM's shot would be beaten until I saw this. Pure class. Looks like a pretty cool event you were at (I wish there was stuff like that to shoot around here) and it's a fantastic shot. To capture rapidly unfolding action with such creative flair is a rare skill. vote

Janiep - A nice idea but, for me, the light just doesn't fall on the places I'd want it to. The composition is not my cup of tea, in as much as that the statue's face is pressed up against the edge of the frame. My guess is that you've composed to include the wing (this is the kind of stuff that's part of the real challenge for a photographer) but it feels a little awkward for me.

Andrewcoates 77 - I hate to appear like a bad get, but for me this is not chiaroscuro. It's just black and white! Nice choice of subject though.

Tired Eyes - Nice idea and quite funny.

Les the Scientist - I like the idea of the expressive lighting. I just feel like when you set up a shot like this it should tell a story. Maybe I'm just an idiot and can't spot it. It's the most likely explanation!

Lucky Knickers - Excellent shot, but it feels more contre jour than chiaroscuro to me.

Phil - I really like the shapes created by the light and shade in this. To me, this is what chiaroscuro is all about. The only thing stopping me from voting for it is that there is not real point of interest in the shot. My eyes kind of float about the frame without ever being drawn to anything in particular.

Great Soprendo - I love your choice of subject but the composition doesn't work for me. I would've gone in tighter and really made the two doors, separated by the shadow line, my subject. Good eye, though.

IanHesfordbaitbox - I absolutely love this shot. The way you've spotted the 'burst' created by the relationship between light and shade. For me, this is the purpose of chiaroscuro. vote

Huejorgan - I can see what you were going for here but I don't think you got the right light for it. As a result, I don't think it meets the theme.

SHYTALLKNIGHT - Nice shot. A really great night shot. I just don't think it meets the theme.

Thank Heaven for Shed 7 - I'm happy with the way it looks on my monitor but I guess I fucked it up! I've got some nasty dirt on my sensor so I have to 'heal' it out of every shot in PS. I'm guessing I had this brush still selected instead of the dodge/burn tool when I was darkening the left side. In terms of taking a good photograph that meets the theme, this is probably my favourite shot of mine so far.

Elliott - Beautiful shot. Doesn't meet the theme for me though.

Madmackem - I like the subject a lot. It isn't really overly illustrative of chiaroscuro photography though.

NotSpavin - I can totally see what you were going for, I just don't think you quite pulled it off. I'd be interested to see the softened shot that you decided not to enter.

Peachbum- Really clever idea but (perhaps I'm applying a really strict interpretation of the theme) there aren't strong enough contrasts between the light and shade. Very clever though and I can see a very individual style developing in your shots.

Cook - Really good shot. Just more contre jour than chiaroscuro.

Taipeisafc - Nice shot. I just found it a bit too similar to some other shots that you'd entered in the past.

Mainze - Nice shot. The composition doesn't quite work for me. I would've gotten in a little tighter. You seem to be taking to this photography lark quite nicely! (Unless you've been doing it for ages....I'm just sure you said you were new to it.

Amnorrageordie - Smart idea, really well executed. vote

AndyM - Fantastic shot. Is it contre jour rather than chiaroscuro? I don't know, I just know that it's f***ing class. But digital? Are you feeling okay?! I also can't believe that you're digital is a 5D mkII! vote

A tough but rewarding month I think.

I was worried he might jump off ! :lol: Yeah brand new to all this, but really enjoying the discussion, and learning a lot from all the other shots posted on here :-D

That's for that - totally agree fwiw. Wanted to create an oil painting effect but didn't really achieve it.

Might try a bit of PP on that shot once the voting has finished.

The only shot of that engine I've ever posted on here, this was the other one:

Logon or register to see this image

There's about 80 years between them, and I'll not bore you with any of the many technical differences... ;)

Never took it with this competition in mnid but I thought it fit rather well.

Haha, cheers - don't worry, the camera isn't mine! Not sure I'd ever be able to afford one...maybe in a few years when the Mkii has inevitable arrived. Although maybe if I stopped buying film and shitty old cameras I might. Don't worry, I'll not make a habit of it...

EDIT - that should read MKiii.

More great entries from Tom Tom (winner for me), Taipei (consistently excellent) Peachy and Andy

Honourable mentions for Spav, Hesford and Elliott too.

The only shot of that engine I've ever posted on here, this was the other one:

Logon or register to see this image

There's about 80 years between them, and I'll not bore you with any of the many technical differences... ;)

Never took it with this competition in mnid but I thought it fit rather well.

Trains are obviously a hobby? I think your shots are great: keep 'em coming.

Excellent stuff from a number of people again. Mine was pretty sh1te and I probably shouldn't have entered - amazed I got any votes TBH. No time for critique this month I'm afraid though.

Voted for tomtommacute, shed7 and andym - excellent work fellas.

Last edited:
Hi All, am new to this photography thing,was seriously impressed by the standard of all entries

Voted for tom tom macute, The Great Soprendo, Shed7, peachbum, amnorrageordie

Not really good at doing the critique thing being a complete rank amateur and with little understanding :)oops:) of the techniques required. The ones I voted for did stand out for me personally though.

As said earlier, great standard of entries from everyone imo, will have a go myself soon..cheers

Well done Andy a great shot, ( and possible tribute to Fred Dibnah leaning over the engine rail ).
I new once you got you nose in front it would take a Devon Loch moment to catch you.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXNVtxIxtP8[/ame]

A big thanks to all who voted, not just for me but all the others too.

well done andy

again some cracking entries this month some great talent out there.

I would nicely ask the question do some fulfill the brief tho?, I' not so sure - lol

having said that a very high standard again, well done to one and all.

aww gutted i didn't vote, kept meaning to come back and do it. fwiw i was gonna vote for andy so it wouldn't have made a difference. i thought it was a brilliant photograph, as were all the entries this month. you lot are very talented! :-D

thanks for the votes on mine, and for the c & c, much appreciated and always taken on board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back