April Voting Thread - Chiaroscuro

April Challenge winner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Vote for as many as you like and you have 7 days to vote.

Voting Guide (which you can ignore of course)
Photographs should be judged on how well they meet the current challenge topic.
Photography equipment used should not be a criterion for rating a photo.
Evaluate the photo in various aspects, set a consistent norm and give your vote accordingly
If you don't vote for a picture, please try to provide constructive criticism how the shot could be improved.

If any of you can't see one or more of the pictures drop me a PM listing what you can't see and I'll stick them on Flickr or something similar.

Good luck everyone.

I just couldn't split these three, my favourite shots of the month and a vote each.

1st - tom tom macute - Love the highlighted swish shape, beautiful.
1st - lucky knickers - I think the sky really makes this shot special.
1st - Iain Hesford Bait Box - Took me a while to figure out what it was, great shot.

Tom Tom Macute - I work about 100 yards away from that bridge. Nice shot, like the way it starts in the bottom left corner and ends in the top right corner. Vote

Clyde - Very classy action shot, nicely capturing the guy balanced on one hand. Love the spot lighting. Vote.

Lucky Knickers - Even though it's a relatively poor quality photo taken on a mobile the colours are superb. I'd love to see how good it could have been with a decent camera. Worthy of a vote still though.

I have picked the three that IMHO paid careful attention to how they lit the subject, and with really excellent results: Andym, Clyde and Thankheavenforshed7.

I limited myself to three votes but my runners-up were as follows. I loved Lucky Knickers' shot, but for me it was more appropriate to Contre Jour. I also liked Spav's shot which was beautifully lit, but for me the end result lacked a little bit of wow factor.

I vote on this pretty much every month and thought its about time to say hello.

I'm no photography expert but I like it as an art and would like to say well done to everyone who contributes their work.

I generally tie myself to three votes per competition and this was the hardest one for me so far to judge.

I voted for TomTomMacute for the composition of the work which draws in the eye and leads you through the picture as well as interplay and fall of light on the bridge itself and the background. A very elegant picture.

Amnorrageorgie - nice picture which meets the brief I like the way you have sandwich the shade between the light and the footsteps intrigued me. Well thought out and composed picture.

Tired eyes - A simple picture that actually made me chortle. For that you get my vote. I thinks its simple and well thought out but quite clever.

Honourable mention to Andy M, Mainze and Taipeisafc and IH Baitbox. You pictures were fantastic and I sorry but I can give myself just 3 votes.

Keep up the great work I look forward to this competition every month. :)

I found the brief (chiaroscuro) to be very wide, and I think that is been shown in the variation of entries over the month, from the side/front lit entries like janiep's and not_ spavin's, to the entries that were black and white and shadow.

from the given link

chiaroscuro = 1: pictorial representation in terms of light and shade without regard to color
a : the arrangement or treatment of light and dark parts in a pictorial work of art b : the interplay or contrast of dissimilar qualities (as of mood or character)
4: the interplay of light and shadow on or as if on a surface

5: the quality of being veiled or partly in shadow

This was a total learning month for me - so thanks for the theme :)

Here are my votes and reasons for not voting

TomTomMacute - I like the composition, love the lines and idea, and if you win, it will be a creditable win. I'm just not voting for it because it seems to be too "altered" for my taste.

Clyde - everytime I look at this photo I wonder where the shadow of the second leg is?

Janiep/NotSpavin/Les the Scientist/Mainz All similar entries, meeting the theme, but the composition let these entries down for me.

Tired Eyes - made me laugh, but there were pictures I preferred.

Lucky Knickers - I really like the photograph, but I don't think it meets the theme, it is more of a silouhette.

Phil - love this picture, (I would however crop vertically left and right perhaps, to get rid of light bit bottom left and dark bit top right). VOTE

Great Soprendo - Simple and effective. I would have liked to have seen the apex/peak of the wall perhaps, but this may have spoiled the composition.

Huejorgan - love it! Meets theme, and well composed.VOTE Picture of the month

Mine - I was going for 1) above

Cook - I think this is more contre jour, and it has produced virtually a silouhette. The composition lets the photo down a bit too, the bare tree has it's outline spoiled by the bush behind it. Sorry Cook.

Taipeisafc - you are in prison aren't you! Not sure the subject matter is that interesting! But it is unusual too. VOTE

Thank Heaven for Shed 7 - This would have got a vote, but you have blocked half the picture out with a black and white leaf-type pattern, which has spoiled it, (IMHO) - I do think it is a good photograph though.

Amnorrageordie - my favourite picture by you. Love the way all the different parts of the picture work together VOTE

AndyM - not my favourite picture of the month, but it is probably the best VOTE

SHYTALLKNIGHT - I found the picture a bit busy - the people at the bottom are a bit of a distraction, I think I would have concentrated on just the lighthouse and the sky.

Elliott/Andrewcoates 77/IanHesfordbaitbox/Madmackem - All good entries, just preferred others.

Please as ever take in the spirit intended, especially as the brief was so wide. :)

Last edited:
Tomtom macute, lucky knickers & andym for me in that order.
Also liked the shy tall knight's entry. He's a bit of a git though so he's not getting a vote.:)

Thank Heaven for Shed 7 - This would have got a vote, but you have blocked half the picture out with a black and white leaf-type pattern, which has spoiled it, (IMHO) - I do think it is a good photograph though.

Absolutely gutted. I don't know what the fuck has happened but I tried to darken that side of the picture so that it was completely black. In fact, on my laptop it looks exactly as it should. I've just checked on another monitor and noticed that it's came out as a horrible pattern. I'm totally devestated. It serves me right really for pissing about with the image too much but, like I say, it looks pitch black and exactly as it should on my laptop :cry::cry:

Edit - looked at it again. I reckon I had the healing brush selected instead of dodge/burn brush. I just did one really quick pass to darken it. I cannot explain how f***ing gutted I am about this. I thought I had a pretty good shot this month. Fuck! Should've bought a Mac!

Taipeisafc - you are in prison aren't you! Not sure the subject matter is that interesting! But it is unusual too. VOTE

Nope not in prison, although it feels like it sometimes! Cheers for the vote and I think this is the first time you have voted for one of mine....I must be getting either better or worse.

Just the one vote this month for Peachbum, as I think the shot stands out from the rest by a long way. The image captured gives a feeling of the past and present all rolled into one, one half of the picture could be 1930 whist the other could be 2011. The light and shade split adds even more to feel of the image, and it also meets this months chosen theme perfectly.

An excellent entry, well done !

Last edited:
Absolutely gutted. I don't know what the fuck has happened but I tried to darken that side of the picture so that it was completely black. In fact, on my laptop it looks exactly as it should. I've just checked on another monitor and noticed that it's came out as a horrible pattern. I'm totally devestated. It serves me right really for pissing about with the image too much but, like I say, it looks pitch black and exactly as it should on my laptop :cry::cry:

Edit - looked at it again. I reckon I had the healing brush selected instead of dodge/burn brush. I just did one really quick pass to darken it. I cannot explain how f***ing gutted I am about this. I thought I had a pretty good shot this month. Fuck! Should've bought a Mac!

I'm looking at it on a MacBook and it's all black for me. :-D

I'm looking at it on a MacBook and it's all black for me. :-D

Weird. The only screen where I can see the problem is on my iPod and even then only when I tilt the screen. On my laptop and wor lasses laptop it looks black.

Just the one vote this month for Peachbum, as I think the shot stands out from the rest by a long way. The image captured gives a feeling of the past and present all rolled into one, one half of the picture could be 1930 whist the other could be 2011. The light and shade split adds even more to feel of the image, and it also meets this months chosen theme perfectly.

An excellent entry, well done !
Thank you Mainze! :-D

nope not in prison, although it feels like it sometimes! Cheers for the vote and i think this is the first time you have voted for one of mine....i must be getting either better or worse.
:p

.... I thought I had a pretty good shot this month. Fuck! Should've bought a Mac!
No just don't mess about in paintshop! :)

As I'm going to vote No in Thursdays AV referendum( I think first past the post system is still the best), it seems at odds with fact that I've voted for four entries in the months competition.
So in no particullar order............

Peachbum.. Absolutely wonderful photograph ( as were the ones not entered) . Why has it not got more votes?

AndyM........ Another great photograph which ticks all the boxes for me.I saw the same engine at Tanfield not so long ago but not quite in that light.

Thankheavenforshed7... excellent lighting makes for a great portrait.

JanieP .... once again the lighting and contrast make what is possibly a plain statue come to life.

Just my own personal opimion of course.

Probably the hardest one to vote on yet - loads of really great entries on show.

Went for ThankHeavenForShed 7, Clyde and andy m, as all were really smart interpretations on the theme.

ive fucked up the voting i clicked on myself rather than thankheavensforshed7. Any way to delete the vote for myself?

Quality lighting, great shot @ shed7!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back