April Schedule

Just chatted this through as well. Usual post Wembley drop happens to most teams after a final, even though this one is pretty pointless. I hope we can push on post next Sunday - we will have 3 games in hand on Luton, Barnsley and two on Pompey. The usual, points on the board is better than games in hand is often true.

Agree, if they win their next game. If they draw then 6 points ahead and we have 9 points to play for.

Imagine if that was Man City. Pep would be fuming!

Doubt it, they play shed loads of games all the time when the Champions League is in full swing and they have two other cup competitions going. They play more games every season than we have this season

Last edited:
I think you’ll handle your run in probably better than many give you credit for. But I also think you’ll end up falling just short.

Just had a feeling for Luton and Barnsley for some time now, since we started falling away in Jan.

Barnsley are getting the moments you need. Pen save v us, top class keeper at Donny, the Walsall game. This on top of them being a good side anyway.

We’re targeting 90 pts. That allows us 1 more loss and 1 more draw. We probably can’t afford that loss to be against yourselves.

There’s every chance even then that 90 may end up not being enough.

Two games straight after a final, both on heavy pitches against teams that won't want to get beat. A week come Sunday we will probably have a good idea of how the season will pan out for us.
The next three of four after the final are the most important games of the season. Even a couple of draws are going to fuck us up.

Hard to argue against these points; we definitely need some good performances and great results in the games after Wembley.

Just chatted this through as well. Usual post Wembley drop happens to most teams after a final, even though this one is pretty pointless. I hope we can push on post next Sunday - we will have 3 games in hand on Luton, Barnsley and two on Pompey. The usual, points on the board is better than games in hand is often true.
Agree, if they win their next game. If they draw then 6 points ahead and we have 9 points to play for.

Barnsley's next game is at home vs Coventry whose recent form is mixed; anything is possible in that game, though Barnsley will expect to win it.
I can't bring myself to cheer for Coventry for obvious historical reasons, but haway the Barnsley own goals.

I'm also hoping Bristol Rovers can keep our gap against Luton down to 10 points...

Last edited:
Think folk thinking a side drawing so many games will suddenly win all but 1 or 2 are dreaming sadly.

Play offs. But wembley has little bearing on it.

The fixtures are:

31/03/19 Portsmouth v Sunderland (Checkatrade Final)
03/04/19 Accrington Stanley v Sunderland
06/04/19 Rochdale v v Sunderland
09/04/19 Sunderland v Burton
13/04/19 Sunderland v Coventry
19/04/19 Sunderland v Doncaster
22/04/19 Sunderland v Peterborough
27/04/19 Portsmouth v Sunderland
30/04/19 Fleetwood v Sunderland

Going to be really tough going that....
Peterborough is away

Flip side is players prefer games to training, the actual cup run has had little effect on fatigue as most of the players used in the early rounds were on the fringes, the backlog doesn't help and as long as the squad is sensibly rotated we should be okay, win at Wembley and I think we won't see much of a downturn, lose and it could affect them especially the younger lads ,up to Ross to work his magic #eyeontheprize ;)

Think folk thinking a side drawing so many games will suddenly win all but 1 or 2 are dreaming sadly.

Play offs. But wembley has little bearing on it.
The same can be said of Barnsley. Struggling for goals at the minute and drawing a lot. There's no reason why we can't win the next 5 after the final to really put some pressure on. Away games to 2 bottom half teams and then a run of home games where we're capable of beating anyone.

The same can be said of Barnsley. Struggling for goals at the minute and drawing a lot. There's no reason why we can't win the next 5 after the final to really put some pressure on. Away games to 2 bottom half teams and then a run of home games where we're capable of beating anyone.

Your right mate.
Done my head in that Barnsley winner. Need them to slip up soon to give hope!

there was after the semi final..so will be after the final..
this is bigger than rioss has ever deaslth with..
it will be the job of catts mcgeady and matthews to try to keep concentration levels high in the run of league games..

that has drawn 16 games..
A big squad does not equal a good squad. However, young lads in their prime should be able to deal with 5*90 minutes of football over a 14 day period. Set of tarts

There is no reason why we couldn't win the 16 drawn games but ................

Last edited:
A big squad does not equal a good squad. However, young lads in their prime should be able to deal with 5*90 minutes of football over a 14 day period. Set of tarts

There is no reason why we couldn't win the 16 drawn games but ................
f***ing hell, let's not bother then

I'm looking at it that this weekend could serve as a very useful Play Off Final dress rehearsal. The fact that we will have been to Wembley only 8 weeks earlier may help our cause and eliminate stage fright and simply not turning up.

Back