April Challenge DISCUSSION - Chiaroscuro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elliott your pic isn't posted properly: give it another go.

Edit: I can see it now, nice shot.

coming in late to the whole taking photies on public/private land thing. I've been stopped more times than I care to remember - especially in Boro' where the street wardens, security are like the Waffen SS.

There's a good guide to your rights here - http://www.sirimo.co.uk/2009/05/14/uk-photographers-rights-v2/

Oh, and I'm in for this months challenge too.

there we are... I've made a spectacular balls up of entering this month. Hopefully, in that mess of the last post, the image should now be visible. If a nice mod wants to edit the old broken link out of my entry, that would be very much appreciated...

so there mines in, tricky subject this month and I did not wanna do black and white, even though others have gone that way, I thought it was an easy cop out (for me anyway)

Going away in a few days so did not have much time left, happy with the results tho, the horses are defo light and dark, like in the original example posted by AB22

Without offending anyone here, I do feel that the theme has been a little mis interpreted here and there, its not just a black and white photo with light and shadow that creates this effect, but hey who am I to know - lol

art (and photgraphy is that very thing) is very subjective, and a personal view, and thats what makes it great how folks interpret the theme

anyways enough rambling

here are a couple of my rejects, straight out of the camera and slightly cropped (if they needed it)

Logon or register to see this image

if you look closely at this next one you can see bishop viaduct in the early morning mist right in the middle of the pic

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
That's my entry in. I've had a right 'mare with the posting though. Somehow I've hit reply instead of edit when I added the EXIF details. Can a kind mod please fix it?

I found this month a real challenge. I wanted to do something which really showed an appreciation of light & shade, rather than just hoying in a B&W shot. I didn't come across any such scene all month so I thought I'd do something a little different and chuck in a self portrait. The fist is performing the dual role of holding my head up and covering my face. I'm not trying to look hard, nor am I holding my nose because someone's farted!

That's my entry in. I've had a right 'mare with the posting though. Somehow I've hit reply instead of edit when I added the EXIF details. Can a kind mod please fix it?

I found this month a real challenge. I wanted to do something which really showed an appreciation of light & shade, rather than just hoying in a B&W shot. I didn't come across any such scene all month so I thought I'd do something a little different and chuck in a self portrait. The fist is performing the dual role of holding my head up and covering my face. I'm not trying to look hard, nor am I holding my nose because someone's farted!

That's a good shot mate (you bastard, i was going to call mine self portrait)
Was down at Seaham for Easter and had a walk down the docks with the missus (nee pics, or insert whore pun here) Managed to grab an ok shot. I'll have a chance the morn neet to get one at work i've spotted a few times, and might even kill two birds and get one for next month.

That's mine in. Took it as an excuse to try a new technique. Decided to to try a chiaroscuro shot based on oil paintings, so I set up a still life style composition and lit it by candlelight. Very little PP done other than making the blacks a little blacker in some small areas of the frame. It actually looked better if I softened the whole thing - more oil painting-ery - but I wanted a more out-of-camera shot this month so I left it as is.

Not mad about it, but it's a technique I'll try again.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's mine in. Took it as an excuse to try a new technique. Decided to to try a chiaroscuro shot based on oil paintings, so I set up a still life style composition and lit it by candlelight. Very little PP done other than making the blacks a little blacker in some small areas of the frame. It actually looked better if I softened the whole thing - more oil painting-ery - but I wanted a more out-of-camera shot this month so I left it as is.

Not mad about it, but it's a technique I'll try again.

I also experimented with candlelight and although that's not how I ended up lighting my entry, it was very interesting. All in all, this was a month I have learnt a lot from.

Well thats mine in, not had much chance to get out and be creative.
Nearly posted a dead dog picture!! Found a carcass of one in one of the dilapidated old cottages.

For me, it comes down to the treatment of the piece of art in question. If it's just a straight-up shot of the art then, in my opinion, that violates that rule (which I had no idea existed!). If it's been composed, lit, exposed to make something interesting and unique then that's fine by me. I've yet to see anything that imo violates this rule.

For me, it comes down to the treatment of the piece of art in question. If it's just a straight-up shot of the art then, in my opinion, that violates that rule (which I had no idea existed!). If it's been composed, lit, exposed to make something interesting and unique then that's fine by me. I've yet to see anything that imo violates this rule.

The only thing I have an issue is outright cheating - nicking a picture you found elsewhere, or taking a photo of a photo and passing the original off as their own.

Other than that, it's all subjective. If someone took a snapshot of a statue then I probably wouldn't like it, but if they took an interesting shot of the same statue then I might.

Which entry are you complaining about Peachbum?
I wasn't complaining at all! :)

I was wandering round an art gallery, not photographing anything, just looking at the paintings, and thinking about chiaroscuro. I then went to look at some sculptures/statues and it got me wondering about the competition. I only took pictures of the one statue as I liked it so much and the light falling on it made me wonder if I could take a picture of it for the competition. I was just wondering to myself really where taking a picture of art (painting/sculpture) wasn't allowed and the crossover point to where it was allowed.

I think it has been answered by several though. If I took a picture of a painting which was "chiaroscuro" style, it would be wrong as someone else had created the light and shade, but if I took a picture of a statue using available light to maybe create shadows etc it would be allowed because it would be my picture.

Right that is my entry in. Not that happy with it but no time to take anything else. I had some nicer ones with a longer exposure but the wind was 'wobbling' the upright scaffold poles about so it gave an ugly effect in places. It is straight out of the camera and converted to JPEG in Lightroom - no post processing at all which was always my intention this month. I took a few more in my flickr stream under April 2011 entries. I need to find a new subject as both this month and last month were taken from my apartment window. I did have another couple of entries (hopefully) but they are on an undeveloped film and I won't get them in time for this month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back