APRIL 2015 - Landscape in portrait format

Status
Not open for further replies.

oROSSo

Striker
Staff member
As chosen by our February winner, @tom tom macute our April theme will be 'Landscape in portrait format'

Couple of old examples, one from myself:
Logon or register to see this image
Durham Cathedral by oROSSo, on Flickr

Or see steeeeds shot from March's comp:
This way to Lindisfarne by Paul_Nelson, on Flickr

Please send your entries to [email protected] (5000 pixels along the longest length, JPEG format) along with your username by midnight 30th April. You can take the picture from now onwards till the closing date.

Happy shooting everyone.

I'd agree. Quite open really. Should be lots on entries. Nice time of year for it too.
yep, I hate all this 'does not meet theme' bollocks - if we want more people to enter we need to be more forgiving about people interpretations.

When I chose the theme I always assumed that there was a definite distinction between a seascape and a landscape.
But it seems that a landscape can also depict the sea, and a seascape contain areas of land.

Wikipedia defines them both as...........

"In the UK a seascape is defined in planning and land use contexts as a combination of adjacent land, coastline and sea within an area, defined by a mix of land-sea inter-visibility and coastal landscape character assessment, with major headlands forming division points between one seascape area and the next."

and

"There are two main meanings for the word landscape: it can refer to the visible features of an area of land, or to an example of the genre of painting that depicts such an area of land.[1] Landscape, in both senses, includes the physical elements of land forms such as (ice-capped) mountains, hills, water bodies such as rivers, lakes, ponds and the sea, living elements of land cover including indigenous vegetation, human elements including different forms of land use, buildings and structures, and transitory elements such as lighting and weather conditions."

So really anything goes.

When I chose the theme I always assumed that there was a definite distinction between a seascape and a landscape.
But it seems that a landscape can also depict the sea, and a seascape contain areas of land.

So really anything goes.
My apologies tom tom ... I meant to link you in as theme chooser, but linked steeeeed instead - sorry!

"5000 pixels along the longest length"

My DSLR doesn't have 5000 pixels on its longest length. Is that a maximum or do you require upsizing?

Any more in yet?
Yer a few more, some nice ones too

Been crazy busy this week at work and tomorrow will be no exception so I won't have time to start the voting thread till tomorrow night/Saturday morning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back