Applying For Jobs / Compiling CV etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unrelated but also CV query

I've done a load of different jobs, many on short-term contracts, and none of which are related to my current career.

How do I fit all these in a CV without making it too long, or without removing some and making it look like I have a patchy job history?

Pick 4 (plus your current) and only put the year you started not finished. If they dont ask dont volunteer, if they do just say youve worked short term contracts and but as they can see have lots of relevant experience.

I've done a load of different jobs, many on short-term contracts, and none of which are related to my current career.

How do I fit all these in a CV without making it too long, or without removing some and making it look like I have a patchy job history?
Might not work with you but I had half a dozen jobs through a recruitment agency when I was younger. Rather than putting half a dozen contracts in I just put the agency and don't bother going into details unless it's specific to a role (which it hasn't been in over a decade).

bunch them all together, ie Jul 2010-Jul 2015 short term contracting with company a,b,c etc

I only ask for last 5 year, anything longer than that is irrelevant

Been out the game of applying for jobs for a while now, fancy a change.

Anybody got any pointers for compiling a decent CV or where to get templates etc?
Having a single CV is a big mistake, you need to tailor your CV to each job you're applying for. Look at the job description they've supplied and try to fit your experience to it.

Use a bit of embellishment if needed as long as you canprovide a good enough examples of it in your interview.

Been out the game of applying for jobs for a while now, fancy a change.

Anybody got any pointers for compiling a decent CV or where to get templates etc?

I've just had mine ripped apart. Points that came from the exercise were:

A) Two pages maximum is the absolute top limit.

B) Don't cram too much information in, supplying information in brief bullet points.

C) Do not put on date of birth as it's not required now and putting in name pls date of birth alongside your address can epose you to identity fraud.

D) It's up to you whether you opt for ordering information as a chronological CV or a skills-focussed CV relevant to the type of job you're looking for.

E) The structure I have is name and address at very top, followed by a personal statement, a key skills section, employment history on the first page, followed by academic qualifications, other professional qualifications, hobbies and interests (optional) and referees (you might opt for referees available on request).

F) Much is made of customisation in modern CVs. It's up to you whether you opt for customisation of your entire CV, howver, it has been suggested to me that the only section you need to customise is the key skills section on the first page to focus on the job you're chasing. Completely rewriting a CV for each job is probably making too much work for yourself. If you go for a skills-based CV, you might have two or three copies, each focussing on a different set of skills, modifying only the key skills section depending upon the job. A chronological CV will probably mean one copy with the key skills section being altered.

G) If you put referee contact details on your CV, only include name, position, telephone number (beter a mobile number) and e-mail address. Agaon, I've been advised not to include a full contact address (at least a home address) to avoid potential identity fraud.

H) Many jobs only ask for a CV these days without an accompanying cover letter, notably agency application. The logic behind this in part is a cobination of not saturating a potential employer with too much information (limited time) and that you'll focus the key skills section of your CV to the job anyway. There's not too many jobs specifically ask for a covering letter these days though it still happens.

I) Most applications are via agencies now and also through the internet via Jobsite, Total Jobs, Linkedin, CV Library or via company website or e-mail. The old letter plus CV via post is extremely rare now. CVs and letters should be in Word format and not PDF. This is because agencies chop off your contact details before forwarding to companies to reduce chances of companies directly contacting the candidate and cuttin gout the agency.

------------

Hope that helps. As others suggest, there's plenty examples if you search via Google or Yahoo to give you guidance.

Note agencies are variable in the service they provide, varying from very good to complete time wasters, annoying companies and candidates alike.

Having a single CV is a big mistake, you need to tailor your CV to each job you're applying for. Look at the job description they've supplied and try to fit your experience to it.

Use a bit of embellishment if needed as long as you canprovide a good enough examples of it in your interview.

But as I suggest above, do you completely rewrite your CV each time you apply or as suggested to me, have a key skills section you alter each time. Rewriting each time can create alot of work if you're applying for multiple jobs?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back