Applying for a passport

Thanks mate. I got the text on Thursday to say they'd got his old passport back, so now I'm just waiting for them to comment on the application which we did online. I know the photo will fail, and I've already taken the bairn to a booth to get proper ones done. When you got the photo rejected did it let you send them by email/ upload using the digital code on the photo booth ones, or did you have to post them in? Wish I could just upload it now, but until they tell me the old one is no good it seems I just have to wait and hope they look at it quickly!
My lads photo got rejected and it was just a case of uploading another photo for us.

Thanks mate. I got the text on Thursday to say they'd got his old passport back, so now I'm just waiting for them to comment on the application which we did online. I know the photo will fail, and I've already taken the bairn to a booth to get proper ones done. When you got the photo rejected did it let you send them by email/ upload using the digital code on the photo booth ones, or did you have to post them in? Wish I could just upload it now, but until they tell me the old one is no good it seems I just have to wait and hope they look at it quickly!
I went into the online and it let me upload the code, only took mins snd sure it was the next day it was approved đź‘Ť

Spot on, thanks everyone. Glad I've had the text saying they've received his old documents back, hoping it's not going to take too long from here. Will be a massive load lifted once it comes through. I mean, we're flying to mallorca with easy jet on the 29th July, and they've just announced Easy jet strike action for Mallorca, including that day, but at least I'd be covered if I can't get there! Wish holidays were stressfree like when I was a bairn and my parents had to do all the worrying that I was blissfully unaware of!

Spot on, thanks everyone. Glad I've had the text saying they've received his old documents back, hoping it's not going to take too long from here. Will be a massive load lifted once it comes through. I mean, we're flying to mallorca with easy jet on the 29th July, and they've just announced Easy jet strike action for Mallorca, including that day, but at least I'd be covered if I can't get there! Wish holidays were stressfree like when I was a bairn and my parents had to do all the worrying that I was blissfully unaware of!
Lot to be said with my old dear trailing us off to Berwick for a fortnight :lol:

Last time we went away, 2018, our little girl will have been 2. Couldn’t enjoy any of the lead up to the holiday cos we were travelling with a bairn. To be fair, she was topper, it was owa lass who decided she knew what the luggage allowance was for Jet2, so went with that. We were flying TUI. Ended up at departures unpacking & repacking cases cos of the f***ing idiot. Even when we got to the hotel about 6pm, I was fucked after the day of travelling from about 4am, didn’t start enjoying it until waking up the first morning.

So, if your passport comes & strike action isn’t on, just read this post back to yourself :lol:

I’m aiming to come back to the UK for a week in early August and wondered if there was any quick turnaround service or if you can go in person? I let mine lapse 4-5 years ago but had previously done the renewal thru Washington DC.

Kids don’t have UK passports but am also thinking of getting them on the ladder early given the shit show stateside at the moment

I’m half not bothered, because we haven’t booked anyway, but, if they came back today I’d probably be thinking about booking a last minuter. However, the other thing on my mind that might mean this is a blessing, airports. I’ve got a 6 & 2 year old, can’t be arsed with delays & stuff.

Might be Jesus’ way of telling me to fuck off this year & go again in 2023.

I’ve got a few days away with the lads in September anyway, so owa lass & the bairns can get fucked :lol:

I am in a similar position to the OP so I have been reading with interest. I booked an impulse deal to Florida for family 2 weeks back with 6 weeks until we were due to travel. We had a trip there cancelled in 2020 due to covid, so we had the cash waiting, but one of the bairns passports has expired since. I immediately applied online and then I started seeing the horror stories of people waiting 8-12 weeks. It has never been an issue before as you could just turn up at the passport office if required urgently. We have 4 weeks until we fly now and I got an update last week requesting that I sent the bairns birth certificate to prove I have parental responsibility of them. I sent it next day delivery and I have heard nothing since.

Im not one for sob stories, but the lad got chicken pox the morning that we were due to go to London for the playoff final and was he absolutely devastated he couldn't go to the game after going all season. I can't bare to disappoint him again and I am set to lose thousands if it doesn't come in time. I am stressed to bits about what should have been something nice for the family.

Last edited:
Last renewed mine 2nd week of January 2020. Didn't pay for fast track, submitted photo and application online on the Monday, sent old one back next day, had new passport Monday of the next week and old passport back with corner chopped off the following day. Ridiculously fast. Mind you that was just pre covid.

Subsequently got talking to a lad through a close mate of mine who works for the passport office who said that the fortnight after new years day is the best time to get one (without paying more for fast track) as application numbers are low and it's when they take delivery of new production equipment, in other words when many of the systems get reset and there's hardly any point in doing a fast track application then as you're ripping yourself off effectively paying the extra.

That was beginning of last year he told me this mind...wouldn't be surprised if its all gone tits up across all 365 days now, and not just the peak spring/summer when I bet most people are putting applications through....

Last edited:
Applied for new passport last week and it arrived today , 8 days including weekend from application to receiving - that’s using the standard service. Not sure if it matters where it is processed but this one went to Glasgow.

Applied for new passport last week and it arrived today , 8 days including weekend from application to receiving - that’s using the standard service. Not sure if it matters where it is processed but this one went to Glasgow.
Fuck me man. I’m on 9 weeks today since they received owa lass’ & the bairns.

How do you find out which incompetent sack of shite office has it?

Fuck me man. I’m on 9 weeks today since they received owa lass’ & the bairns.

How do you find out which incompetent sack of shite office has it?
It was the address you send your old passport back to , apparently they don’t process until you send the old one and they receive , I sent it signed delivered they confirmed receipt the next day and regular updates (received , processing , printing , with delivery company) every other day since by email and text

Last renewed mine 2nd week of January 2020. Didn't pay for fast track, submitted photo and application online on the Monday, sent old one back next day, had new passport Monday of the next week and old passport back with corner chopped off the following day. Ridiculously fast. Mind you that was just pre covid.

Subsequently got talking to a lad through a close mate of mine who works for the passport office who said that the fortnight after new years day is the best time to get one (without paying more for fast track) as application numbers are low and it's when they take delivery of new production equipment, in other words when many of the systems get reset and there's hardly any point in doing a fast track application then as you're ripping yourself off effectively paying the extra.

That was beginning of last year he told me this mind...wouldn't be surprised if its all gone tits up across all 365 days now, and not just the peak spring/summer when I bet most people are putting applications through....

Didn't know this was a thing but did mine around the same time earlier this year. Took exactly eight days and that was posting the old passport off on New Years Eve and having to redo the photo

Did daughters a couple of weeks later and that took two weeks

It was the address you send your old passport back to , apparently they don’t process until you send the old one and they receive , I sent it signed delivered they confirmed receipt the next day and regular updates (received , processing , printing , with delivery company) every other day since by email and text
Newport. Just checked. They’ve confirmed reciept of the old passports 9 weeks ago today.

Newport. Just checked. They’ve confirmed reciept of the old passports 9 weeks ago today.
That's where mine and our lass's went for renewal. Took about six weeks I think. Maybe just under. Is there a time limit they give before you can chase it up?

The boy's was a new one and went to Peterborough. They were slower confirming receipt of documents but had the passport with us a week quicker.

That's where mine and our lass's went for renewal. Took about six weeks I think. Maybe just under. Is there a time limit they give before you can chase it up?

The boy's was a new one and went to Peterborough. They were slower confirming receipt of documents but had the passport with us a week quicker.
Think it says on the website not to contact them before 10 weeks.

Back