Applying for a passport

Massive back log at the minute like
My sources tell me that's not really true. The papers have been saying this like 500k backlog, but not giving the context that around a million passports are being issued every month. It's two weeks worth of work.
During Prime Minister's Questions on Wednesday, the PM said the Government is "massively increasing the speed with which the Passport Office delivers". He said, to the best of his knowledge, "everybody’s getting their passport within four to six weeks".
Think those are average times. There is a percentage where they are taking longer, but normally where the application has been messed up in some way.

I wouldn't worry about it. Give it a couple of weeks. Most people are getting them back in your timescale.

Last edited:

Appreciate that I'm quite possibly fucked here, but if anyone has applied online for a passport renewal recently, can you tell me how long it took from receipt of the old passport to them updating the tracker thing? I know it was delivered yesterday 13:00 but when I log on it still says waiting for the documents to be returned (but with a note saying it won't update immediately). Wondering when I need to be chasing them because otherwise I'm likely to lose a fuck load of money and spoil and the bairns summer :cry:
I had a little note on the bottom saying documents received dated may the 9th (sent off in April). The large top banner just changed today saying passport received (it was in process before that) a good month after everyone in the house got theirs back. Not panicking yet like as I don’t go away till august but fook me they’re shite

Thanks everyone, feeling slightly more optimistic with 7 weeks to go. Hopefully the passport photo not being great won't add too much time, since I've got others ready to go!

Basically the bairn had school Friday morning, so if I waited and got a proper photo from a booth it would have been Friday afternoon, which would likely mean identity not confirmed until Monday, old passport sent back and wouldn't arrive until Wednesday (tomorrow).

Took a risk that I was better sending it off with a photo that might not be suitable, but would mean they'd have the old passport by Monday, giving me a couple extra days. Hopefully they just say "it isn't suitable" and I can give them the digital code or post the new photos straight away.

The stress is unreal like, be shit enough if it was just me going, but the missus has had a shit time of it recently and she looked genuinely happy for the first time in months when we booked it and the bairn is buzzing. One of the worst bits of being a dad is when you feel you might let your family down. Hopefully it'll be okay though, genuinely appreciate the replies, it's slightly calmed me. Going to have a f***ing good drink when it drops through the door, if it does!!

I had a little note on the bottom saying documents received dated may the 9th (sent off in April). The large top banner just changed today saying passport received (it was in process before that) a good month after everyone in the house got theirs back. Not panicking yet like as I don’t go away till august but fook me they’re shite
Must have you down as a wrongun.

Appreciate that I'm quite possibly fucked here, but if anyone has applied online for a passport renewal recently, can you tell me how long it took from receipt of the old passport to them updating the tracker thing? I know it was delivered yesterday 13:00 but when I log on it still says waiting for the documents to be returned (but with a note saying it won't update immediately). Wondering when I need to be chasing them because otherwise I'm likely to lose a fuck load of money and spoil and the bairns summer :cry:

5 days between a text saying they had the docs and another text saying it had been approved. Then a text 4 days later saying the passport had been sent.

That was end of March

Booking a holiday without a passport...brilliant, then blaming the passport office for not dishing it out quick enough when every man and his dog wants a passport.

My advice would be not to book a holiday without checking if your passport is in date. Not being nasty or nowt, just everyone nars the crack down the passport office these days.
They really don't. I know someone who got one back in 18 days, someone else 13 weeks.

My advice would be not to book a holiday without checking if your passport is in date. Not being nasty or nowt, just everyone nars the crack down the passport office these days.
He couldn’t of been any more clear that it is his fuck up and is just asking for a ball park answer on how long it’ll take. Your going on like he posted “fuck the passport office bunch of useless bastards”

He couldn’t of been any more clear that it is his fuck up and is just asking for a ball park answer on how long it’ll take. Your going on like he posted “fuck the passport office bunch of useless bastards”

Loads of people blame the passport office. There is no ballpark answer. It could take days or weeks depending on criteria.

Back