Applying for a passport

Appreciate that I'm quite possibly fucked here, but if anyone has applied online for a passport renewal recently, can you tell me how long it took from receipt of the old passport to them updating the tracker thing? I know it was delivered yesterday 13:00 but when I log on it still says waiting for the documents to be returned (but with a note saying it won't update immediately). Wondering when I need to be chasing them because otherwise I'm likely to lose a fuck load of money and spoil and the bairns summer :cry:

Appreciate that I'm quite possibly fucked here, but if anyone has applied online for a passport renewal recently, can you tell me how long it took from receipt of the old passport to them updating the tracker thing? I know it was delivered yesterday 13:00 but when I log on it still says waiting for the documents to be returned (but with a note saying it won't update immediately). Wondering when I need to be chasing them because otherwise I'm likely to lose a fuck load of money and spoil and the bairns summer :cry:
You could chase them and provide proof of your holiday booking.

We sent off for a new passport at the beginning of April and still waiting.

Took a couple of weeks to get it back from when they received it. A lot depends on where it goes to, the bairns went to bootle and it came back really quickly like within 3 weeks

I ordered one for the bairn and it was about 3 weeks end to end. They don’t update the website on a regular basis for tracking so you just need to keep everything crossed that it’s arrived and is being processed

Thread on it here Passport problems.

Just done ours, mine went to Newport, the bairn's to Peterborough. Both took about two weeks between the post office saying documents had been received and it being updated on the website.

In total both took around six weeks, give or take a few days.

Last edited:
You could chase them and provide proof of your holiday booking.

We sent off for a new passport at the beginning of April and still waiting.
Ah fuck that's not promising like.

Basically we booked a holiday on Thursday. Bit of an impulse thing, saw a decent enough deal (£2500 all inclusive for a week in Mallorca for me, the missus and the bairn, and the place looked class for the littleun).

Didn't realise our last holiday was 5 years ago. Me and my lasses passports are fine, but the bairns expires the day before we fly out (and she won't go without him).

We fly 29th July, so about 7 weeks.

I looked for emergency appointments but nothing came up, so rather than waiting and hoping I thought I'd just apply. Friday morning I took a photo which I don't think will be accepted (it said "fine" on the site, but then looks like it's cropped the top of his head off when it's gone to the person who was to confirm his identity). Needed to get the process started so that, on Friday, I could get it applied for and get his identity confirmed. Posted his old passport off that day, arrived Monday.

Didn't realise that if you apply this way you can't also get an emergency appointment (that was going to be my plan!).

So just sat anxious. I've got him better photos from a booth with a digital code. Hopefully if the photo I sent isn't good enough I can send the other straight away. Some people saying if it's a renewal it might be back in 3 weeks, a lot say 4-6, but you're meant to allow 10.

No idea what I do if it doesn't arrive. Thought maybe I could move it to next year, but would be a 70% cancellation charge (through tui) so that's not worth doing. Guessing I'd go myself, maybe try and get my dad to come. But would spoil the bairns summer because his mam has told him we're going, and if it costs me most of the £2500 I probably can't afford to go away again next year.

Hopefully it'll work but genuinely struggled to sleep last night just worrying about it

It took about 3 weeks for my Granddaughter's passport to be renewed. Once it was recorded as received it didn't take long to arrive.
A little longer for the Grandson's but that was for his first adult passport.
I'm sure you'll be fine.

Last edited:

Took 3 weeks for mine, got it last week

During Prime Minister's Questions on Wednesday, the PM said the Government is "massively increasing the speed with which the Passport Office delivers". He said, to the best of his knowledge, "everybody’s getting their passport within four to six weeks".

Boris doesn't lie, you'll be fine.

Book a cheap flight for sometime really soon.

There’s a policy that they’ll fastrack passports for people who have an urgent flight apparently. Someone was talking about it at the weekend.

Edit: you already have a flight booked, it’s already urgent…I might be talking bollocks and was lied to.

Back