Applying for a job you’re not qualified for

What’s the worst that can happen? Give it a go!
Are you female? There are lots of studies saying blokes will apply for any job if they can meet most of the requirements while women take the requirements very literally.

I have, and have got the job; more than once. Fill yer boots.

Anyone ever done it? How did it go?
Yes many many years ago. 1970's. Had all the experience for the job, but they wanted an ONC qualification. I only had part 1 of the ONC, not the final part, but I put on the application I had a full ONC. The interview went great, and they said the job was mine, and discussed start date etc. One of the interviewers then said they just needed to check the ONC certificate. Shit, Still blagging I showed them part 1 and said I'd lost part 2.No probs they said we'll just ring the college and verify. Couldn't get out fast enough. Never heard from then again. The strange thing is that is the only time in my life I've been asked to show quals. I since got a Masters, of which I am very proud, and nobody has ever asked to see it

Yes many many years ago. 1970's. Had all the experience for the job, but they wanted an ONC qualification. I only had part 1 of the ONC, not the final part, but I put on the application I had a full ONC. The interview went great, and they said the job was mine, and discussed start date etc. One of the interviewers then said they just needed to check the ONC certificate. Shit, Still blagging I showed them part 1 and said I'd lost part 2.No probs they said we'll just ring the college and verify. Couldn't get out fast enough. Never heard from then again. The strange thing is that is the only time in my life I've been asked to show quals. I since got a Masters, of which I am very proud, and nobody has ever asked to see it
Yeah I think exaggeration is fine but lying could always bite you in the arse! Thing is if you’d said when they offered you, you’ve got the first part they probably would have paid for you to do the second part. :)

Yeah I think exaggeration is fine but lying could always bite you in the arse! Thing is if you’d said when they offered you, you’ve got the first part they probably would have paid for you to do the second part. :)
Yes young, and really wanted that job, but it taught me a lesson. Actually that experience spurred me on to get properly qualified.

Back