Applying for a job you’re not qualified for

Went for an HR Managers job in China, that I was woefully under qualified for apart from speaking Chinese.

Walked into the office, said I wanted it. Was immediately interviewed in English. Massively exaggerated my leadership and management experience.

Interviewed in Chinese about how I'd handle arguments, disagreements with temperamental foreign staff.

Went upstairs to meet the director. Talked about Chinese Tea for half an hour.

Got the job, learned as I went and made improvements based on what I'd have expected as a member of teaching staff. Teaching staff reported significant improvement at Xmas party. Left after 2 years never to be replaced. :cool:

Depends what you mean by not qualified. If it’s not necessarily meeting all the requirements in the vacancy details, then yes.

Mixed results. Sometimes didn’t get the job and other times did. I’d only apply if I genuinely thought I could do the job.

The missus has done the same and made her big career break throughs because of it. She’s always been capable, just sometimes the pre-requisites were hard to come by.

Would never apply for a job I was totally out of my depth for. I’d be terrified in case I actually got the job.

Yep, at a University, stepped in as an interim to a senior role, from a more junior role.

Something I'd never done before, but was good enough at it to be asked to apply for it permanently with the inference that the job was mine.
Decided against it, as it wasn't something that I particularly would have enjoyed, longer term as there was too much pandering to a select group of people.

My advice would be, if you're in contention, have confidence in your own ability to do it, then go for it.

Depends what you mean by not qualified. If it’s not necessarily meeting all the requirements in the vacancy details, then yes.

Mixed results. Sometimes didn’t get the job and other times did. I’d only apply if I genuinely thought I could do the job.

The missus has done the same and made her big career break throughs because of it. She’s always been capable, just sometimes the pre-requisites were hard to come by.

Would never apply for a job I was totally out of my depth for. I’d be terrified in case I actually got the job.
The job advert actually doesn’t specify any prior experience, just the kind of skills they’re looking for. All of which I can do, just never in that particular field before.

I'm doing it...

Was offered it mind.. just had to do the official paperwork and checks
How far off the job spec were you?

The job advert actually doesn’t specify any prior experience, just the kind of skills they’re looking for. All of which I can do, just never in that particular field before.

How far off the job spec were you?

Well I've gone from doing IT in the city to mentoring and outreach work with troubled teenagers.

Every day different. Currently in St Albans library

Anyone ever done it? How did it go?

If you were 100% qualified for the job, you'd have to be doing it already. If they're accurate about the skills you need and you're accurate about whether you have them, go for it. The law of averages says at least one person they have in place doing that job is completely useless so you wouldn't even be the weakest link on day one.

I've known a few excellent talkers who have punched above their weight and regretted it.

That said, if you think you're a good fit for the job and have confidence you can adapt quickly I'd say go for it

Back