Appleby horse fair on channel 5 last night.

No chance they picked up every bit.

I've known many travellers over the years.. I'm from Bishop... It's half the town but to try and defend many is bollocks..

They live by intimidation and groups.

Even the applyby programme last night didn't really portray them as lovely fun loving people.

There is many decent ones but outnumbered by the shitheads.. the thieving, swindling robbing ones .

You always come across as decent but you don't do yourself any favours with your defence at times. I can understand why you do your defence though.
The whole traveller shtick is just for bites....you and I will be more gypsy than him

No chance they picked up every bit.

I've known many travellers over the years.. I'm from Bishop... It's half the town but to try and defend many is bollocks..

They live by intimidation and groups.

Even the applyby programme last night didn't really portray them as lovely fun loving people.

There is many decent ones but outnumbered by the shitheads.. the thieving, swindling robbing ones .

You always come across as decent but you don't do yourself any favours with your defence at times. I can understand why you do your defence though.
I know I don’t do myself any favours but I don’t give up easily Epping mate. Look at the pennywell thread. I’ve grew up with people looking down at me because I lived in plawsworth sq, because of 4/5 bad eggs we were all branded car thieves and burglars, not as bad now but in the late 80s early 90s it was terrible.
I know the problems caused by most travellers, we all do but to brand all travellers the same as some posters do it’s wrong.
On that pennywell thread a poster said his father used to call pennywell match box city (he was a fireman). So I made a cheeky comment back and he bit like fuck! (Risking his life every night or summit was his chomp). But he thought it was funny or in order to comment on a place that me and all my family grew up with my mam and dad and have fond memories of just on the word of his father then bite at a cheeky comment back.
I’m like the Malcom X of travellers mate.
The whole traveller shtick is just for bites....you and I will be more gypsy than him
I love how you only comment on other people’s posts about me now. How would you know about me you’re normally banned for being a prick or trolling :lol:

Last edited:
I only speak as I find.
I don't know many 'travellers' on a personal level but, working in a Cemetery, I carry out funerals of people from many different religions/cultures and have to say I've never had a problem with the 'travellers' that visit 'my' Cemetery.
Another thing i'd say is that they're ALL very respectful of the Cemetery and the graves (traveller graves or otherwise).

You didn’t see the show did you? If you had you would have realised the media took the pics before they cleaned up. Every last bit. Even showed you the king of the gypsies closing the gate and taking the flag down.
Watch the show mate. The gypsy king is actually stopping families and sending them back to clean their shit up.
I’ve always said there is horrid fake gypsies but on here everyone tats them with the same brush. There was a really good show earlier this year about travellers where even they said these fakes are the ones spoiling it.
On that show the police shut the river. Now I’ve heard on here time and time again about travellers not having any respect for law. So all of them travellers there and not one went in the river until the cops gave the all clear.
Regarding the mess, the king gypsy even said that media as already been up to take the pictures before the clean up started, it showed you them cleaning and at the end it spotless. The Indian restaurant where they all ate there was no bother when he chased them at closing time, no rascist comments nowt.

Completely blinkered mate.
Polis were clearly nervous at the intimidation by the river which would have escalated if they werent allowed in.
How the feck you can watch that and expect folk to watm to these people ill never know.
Best thing they could do is police themselves, force out their scum and win over the locals. Theres a lot of similarities with footy support imo.

Completely blinkered mate.
Polis were clearly nervous at the intimidation by the river which would have escalated if they werent allowed in.
How the feck you can watch that and expect folk to watm to these people ill never know.
Best thing they could do is police themselves, force out their scum and win over the locals. Theres a lot of similarities with footy support imo.
Don’t believe everything you see in the media.

On a one to one level, my dealings with Travellers has been pleasant. I've met a few when I've done a bit of bar work as a student, and they've been a bit cheeky and pushed their luck a bit, but generally ok.

My problem with them is the way they feel we should all respect their "way of life" while they show zero respect to anyone elses.

Its fine to block a road off with 4x4's and horseboxes and let the kids have bareback races up and down the street, because thats their way of life. (Which I have seen happen in Darlington). They think we should respect that (and the police did when they turned up.... they put down diversion signs for the traffic!)

Its fine to camp up on a school playing field and let the dogs shit everywhere, and then churn up the field with the Nissan Navarra's, because thats the way of the traveller. But no respect for the school who have an unusable playing field.

We should allow them to camp on council car parks for a day or two, because to deny them that would be an infringement of their rights as a culture.
But you or I overstay by an hour and theres a fine in the post tomorrow.

Problem is, anyone mentions a clampdown, and to actually make them obey the law, and the traveller community immediately claims persecution and racism.

No agenda at all from channel 5 like. See that auld local, obviously a raging Blackpool? ( I like to to my morning constitutional drink..) May his next shite be a porcupine.

I only speak as I find.
I don't know many 'travellers' on a personal level but, working in a Cemetery, I carry out funerals of people from many different religions/cultures and have to say I've never had a problem with the 'travellers' that visit 'my' Cemetery.
Another thing i'd say is that they're ALL very respectful of the Cemetery and the graves (traveller graves or otherwise).
People showing a basic level of decorum at a funeral isn't something to praise them for mate

People showing a basic level of decorum at a funeral isn't something to praise them for mate
Wouldn't dream of being so patronising as to 'praise' them mate , just pointing out that my dealings with 'travellers' have always been pleasant , either at a funeral, in the days leading up to said funeral, and on general Cemetery visits too.
As I said, I only speak as I find - and they all seem very respectful of the Cemetery and of the work that I put in too.
On the decorum subject - you'd be surprised at the lack of it at times - and i'm not talking about travellers.

Wouldn't dream of being so patronising as to 'praise' them mate , just pointing out that my dealings with 'travellers' have always been pleasant , either at a funeral, in the days leading up to said funeral, and on general Cemetery visits too.
As I said, I only speak as I find - and they all seem very respectful of the Cemetery and of the work that I put in too.
On the decorum subject - you'd be surprised at the lack of it at times - and i'm not talking about travellers.
You must be the only person in the country who hasn't had problems with them in a professional capacity then :lol: You've been lucky

You must be the only person in the country who hasn't had problems with them in a professional capacity then :lol: You've been lucky

To be fair, I think most travellers are very respectful of the dead and things like ancestry. I was once told that they are very superstitious abot things like ghosts so the fact they show respect to churchyards and graves doesnt surprise me in the least.

Came across really well.
No trouble.
No arrests.
Cleaned up after themselves.

Seemed to me like a few of the locals just don’t like them.

All the locals telling the Indian kid not to open his restaurant “or they will smash it up”
He made a fortune I bet.

Hopefully changed a few views on here too.

I’m going to be really honest here. I watched the programme fully expecting to be enraged with dishonest, disrespectful gypsies taking the piss out of their hosts at Appleby. There were one or two nackers but in a crowd of that size it’s unavoidable, think of festivals or say SAFC fans at Trafalgar Square for example, mostly well behaved but with a minority potentially spoiling it for others.

I don’t know if it was all down to the editing but I surprised myself and warmed to the travellers and their big event. Fair play to them.

Maintaining my honesty I would still be gutted if a travellers camp set up near me, but that might be my hard wired prejudice. The programme did make me reconsider my views though.

To be fair, I think most travellers are very respectful of the dead and things like ancestry. I was once told that they are very superstitious abot things like ghosts so the fact they show respect to churchyards and graves doesnt surprise me in the least.
Apart from the ones who dig up corpses and throw them through grieving relatives' front windows ;)

Back