AOL recruitment team leave the club

I think a clue if this is a good thing or not is if they have gone to somewhere with an infinitely better setup than our current. In this case both have.

I was surprised they didn't downgrade the academy this summer as it is in keeping with their actions.

I'm starting to think this is going to be even worse than I feared.

Theres always room for improvement and if that is what this is then it can only be a good thing

An emphasis on bringing the youth through long term like Southampton did could be what we need to get back up there. Obviously it needs changes in other areas too but it could be a good start

Yeah true but they’re talking about wholesale changes on this whilst also saying how well we’re doing at age group level. The 18s and 23s have won like 1 game combined in 18 month of the Paul Reid academy reign.

Last edited by a moderator:
The article says they’re looking to replace with better resources. Plenty of things to be upset about at the minute but I’m not reading this as one of them.
Lads were poached by clubs higher up the pyramid though. We either didn’t want to keep them or we Couldn’t convince them to stay. I’d suggest it’s the latter as the article implies this is a reaction - albeit they suggest that things had gone stale.

Last edited:
Theres always room for improvement and if that is what this is then it can only be a good thing

An emphasis on bringing the youth through long term like Southampton did could be what we need to get back up there. Obviously it needs changes in other areas too but it could be a good start
As soon as we produce a player who can string two passes together, he’s hoovered up by the big boys.

Looks to me like theyve simply had their staff poached and are now dressing it up as a restructure. It would work if Charlie hadn’t already said that we were doing excellent at age group footy and that the issue was that we can’t retain these players at 15/16. How is this changing anything?

Lads were poached by clubs higher up the pyramid though. We either didn’t want to keep them or we Couldn’t convince them to stay. I’d suggest it’s the latter as the article implies this is a reaction - albeit they suggest that things had gone stale.
True, because of this I'd like the academy to develop a wide range of players, not just talented younguns but the best of lower league younguns as well. Kind of a Doctor Barnardo's for kids born in the lower leagues. We have to change with the times unfortunately.

The academy has become complete waste and shambles , disgraceful considering how good the set up
Was
The way things are now it's looking like a spare part but I think that's down to poor management.

I remember vaguely Del and Rodders saying how important it was to keep Category One status but I can't remember why.

Unfortunately their solution seems to be to keep it running on a skeleton staff instead of an opportunity to develop players to get us out the shit.

For example Ronan Curtis is only 23 and one of the best goalscorers in the division. Better fit than Maja and less likely to fuck off at a moment's notice.

The austerity hasn’t stopped since being relegated from the Prem.

With Short seemingly writing off our debts, we had a real chance to overhaul the footballing departments, scouting, the academy and to build a youthful energetic side. To be forward thinking. Instead our recruitment has followed on from the days of Bain.

agreed but frankly and as we all know the current owners are clueless
Gone to Wolves and Leeds though.....not as if they're signing on the dole after leaving here.

I bet they couldnt wait to get out

Back