Anyones family served in the Colfstream Guards in ww2?

Why? Is it curiosity or did you or your family members?

Yes, Tunisia and Italy. I've inherited various stacks of maps and papers from people associated with the regiment and was interested if there were any others who had a relative served. I know they have a Sunderland branch and wanted to see howhat common it was.

I should have said at the beginning whether anyone knows which battalion as well as the regiment as that's easier to trace.

My great uncle did his national service in the Horse Guards with Jack Charlton. Don’t think that’s the same regiment though. He used to play for Lincoln City.

Funnily enough one the other battalions in my grandfather's brigade was the 3rd Grenadiers, who, amongst other officers, had deadly doug of Aston villa fame in it.

Last edited:

What battalion? Was he a Pal?

Mine was a Company Sergeant Major in the 19th, the “Bantams”; so called because they were all below 5 ft 3.

I will have to ask me dad, we have been trying to find more out about him.

Did you know the DLI were the fastest marching army unit in the UK army

I didn’t actually no.

Hopefully your Dad or someone in the family will have his medals, that should have that kind of info on.

My mother's father was in the Durham Light Infantry, somehow never got shipped abroad.
Dad's father was called up right in the last months of the war and did two years in India with the Royal Corps of Signals.
Great uncle served in North Africa with the Inniskilling Fusiliers, got very badly wounded and that was the end of the war for him.

There's no doubt many others but haven't got the records to hand.

I didn’t actually no.

Hopefully your Dad or someone in the family will have his medals, that should have that kind of info on.

We dont have his medals, just a few photographs and his shoulder badge from ww2.

We met a lovely bloke 2 weeks ago. That served in ww2 who confirmed the shoulder badge was for the aa batteries from ww2

The gentleman we spoke to was incredibly proud of the marching speed. "fastest and best division in the army" was his comment

Last edited:
My maternal Grandad was KIA serving with the KOSB's on 8th April 1945. We also had one of our distant Yorkshire relatives killed in the first few days of the war with the RAF Bristol Blenheim, I believe).

Is that not just the light brigade marching pace being the fastest in the
army (alongside the rifles). I know they were a nightmare for the rest of the army to follow on march pasts as you had to quicken your pace - leading to plenty losing step.

As far as I know - the DLI marched at the same speed as the Royal Green Jackets - the RGJ marched at 140 paces per minute (at a 30" pace) whereas other regiments marched at just 120.

No mate the DLI matched at 160 paces a minute
I learned this as a kid, my dad would march everywhere with me running to keep up (I'm still a really quick walker to this day) . His favourite marching tune he would whistle and march to was this, give you some idea of the tempo

My great uncle was in the CSG and was killed in WW2. Don’t know any details an couldn't find him on one of those military history sites. Strangely, I couldn’t find my granda either, and he survived the war.

My great uncle was in the CSG and was killed in WW2. Don’t know any details an couldn't find him on one of those military history sites. Strangely, I couldn’t find my granda either, and he survived the war.

Hi Dave. PM me his name. I'll see what I can do. Do you know where he was killed (which country?)

Back