Anyone watch films 'n' that on a projector screen at home?

I use a pull down. It goes over the window and acts as it's own black out blind:
Logon or register to see this image

This also let me put the soundbar on the window sill. window cill? window shelf thingy.

Then I put a hole in the out skin of the stud wall opposite to create a "nook", ran power and hdmi through the stud wall to the nook, stuck some wood in to frame it up and then bolted the projector onto a small kitcken cupboard door from ikea, hinged it and stuck a stay on the staple gunned a cheap picture over the front so the whol thing folds up in place and i dont need to fuck around to switch into film/football mode:

Its fantastic for football and films but seriously the day you do this go and get 1x nintendo switch, 1x mario kart deluxe, 2 extra controllers, 4 steering wheel controller housings, 3 friends and a at least a dozen beers each.

^^^ canny clever that, like.

All the questions are for when I extend the kitchen-diner sideways and over the side ginnel where the wash-house used to be.

I don't mind the idea of a projector hanging from the ceiling, and neither (surprisingly) does Mrs Gardner.

The plan is to move the TV from the lounge to the new room (where we'll spend most of our time as it overlooks the garden and out over towards Penshaw Monument) so as long as I know where the cables n that need to go, I can bury everything away.

Still undecided about plain wall versus screen, though :rolleyes:

^^^ canny clever that, like.

All the questions are for when I extend the kitchen-diner sideways and over the side ginnel where the wash-house used to be.

I don't mind the idea of a projector hanging from the ceiling, and neither (surprisingly) does Mrs Gardner.

The plan is to move the TV from the lounge to the new room (where we'll spend most of our time as it overlooks the garden and out over towards Penshaw Monument) so as long as I know where the cables n that need to go, I can bury everything away.

Still undecided about plain wall versus screen, though :rolleyes:

I would try to avoid the projector on the ceiling, you'll get sick, it'll get dirty. If you are putting in a new ceiling anyway a nice drop down lift with a motorised screen might be nice.

For the screen again, first thing is to make it look nice when everything is off and how usable for other functions the room is. The type of screen is simultaneously very important and not worth worrying about. Seriously - a lot of AV nerds will start talking about screen gain of paint vs screen but so much of the effect of that are inherited from the properties of the projector and the environment (throw distance, ambient light, etc) its impossible to judge what will give a better picture without trying and even then two people will not agree.

My marra bought 1 used it a few times then sold it. I'd say if you are going to do it do it right, you could try asking for opinions on the SMB oh wait..

I would try to avoid the projector on the ceiling, you'll get sick, it'll get dirty. If you are putting in a new ceiling anyway a nice drop down lift with a motorised screen might be nice.

For the screen again, first thing is to make it look nice when everything is off and how usable for other functions the room is. The type of screen is simultaneously very important and not worth worrying about. Seriously - a lot of AV nerds will start talking about screen gain of paint vs screen but so much of the effect of that are inherited from the properties of the projector and the environment (throw distance, ambient light, etc) its impossible to judge what will give a better picture without trying and even then two people will not agree.

yeah, I'm sick of reading about gain n all that.

I reckon a smoothly plastered wall (Mrs Gardner's son is a plasterer), matt white paint, and very effective blackout blinds will do the trick.

I appreciate the need for a black border to provide contrast, but if there's no light in the room (anyway) why worry about a black border - hence the idea about blinds.
Also, a fixed screen may prove problematic because of the change in aspect ratio throughout and between some films.

Then, as long as your projector is decent enough, you've got 4k source from your UHD player and your Atmos speakers are properly calibrated, that'll do the trick ... without the room looking like a cinema itself. (It's gonna be used, living in, partying in & dining in - as well as watching films)

Some great advice here, though - love the SMB, me.

itll Be like the Dagmar.

Absolutely shite the ones I’ve seen .

I use a pull down. It goes over the window and acts as it's own black out blind:

This also let me put the soundbar on the window sill. window cill? window shelf thingy.

Then I put a hole in the out skin of the stud wall opposite to create a "nook", ran power and hdmi through the stud wall to the nook, stuck some wood in to frame it up and then bolted the projector onto a small kitcken cupboard door from ikea, hinged it and stuck a stay on the staple gunned a cheap picture over the front so the whol thing folds up in place and i dont need to fuck around to switch into film/football mode:

Its fantastic for football and films but seriously the day you do this go and get 1x nintendo switch, 1x mario kart deluxe, 2 extra controllers, 4 steering wheel controller housings, 3 friends and a at least a dozen beers each.
WTF ..?

Is it not better to watch it on the telly. ,get a big telly if you wish.

What’s the motivation behind getting one Matty?all the ones I’ve seen are lame like .

Last edited by a moderator:
itll Be like the Dagmar.

Absolutely shite the ones I’ve seen .

WTF ..?

Is it not better to watch it on the telly. ,get a big telly if you wish.

What’s the motivation behind getting one Matty?all the ones I’ve seen are lame like .

I don't know what youve seen obviously but mine produces a screen that's just a touch under 105 inches at a distance of just over double that. It's attrocious for watching TV obviously but for movies, games and football it's immersion is genuinely incredible.

I don't know any tv that could do that for 10 times the price never mind dissappear when not in use.

Depends what you like though so each to their own.

Straight onto the wall will be fine I’m sure! That’s all I’ve ever done and as you say block out the light in the room and it will look amazing. I’ve had one for years in bedroom, would have preferred it downstairs for the football but my walls there wouldn’t allow it and was not a realistic option for a screen.

Moving house next year and I’ll be hoping to pick a house where I can get a proper setup in a living room, Would be canny to invite mates round to watch the match on it.

Back