Anyone sold a house lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes I had to have it done- can't remember paying that much like

We moved in May last year. We had to get both gas and electric safety tests done. Estate agents told us it is a legal requirement to have them done for rental, but it is not for sales, however most buyers want it doing as it shows up on the survey if they haven't. Cost us about £110 for the electric test, then another £200 for minor bits and bobs to be brought upto current code, about £60 for the gas one which was fine.

Yeah we had to have a couple of things to do that weren't compliant - mainly the fuse box iirc and it had a board behind it instead of a metal plate ? Figured it should've been done anyway so even if sell fell through I'd have paid for it to be sorted

Is this not just a way for the buyer to lay the expense of a survey on the seller. They want to buy your house. If there is no obvious electrical fault then tell them to pay for their own survey, specifically to cover electrics. Some on here are saying, its only x'£'s,get it done. It also works the other way. They like your house, they want to buy it. Do you really think they will pull out for the sake of the price of a survey ? They effectively want a written guarantee, paid for by you. Some surveys in the past have been piss poor, and the surveyers have got away scott free. Probably the reason why this situation has come about. I'd just tell them,the house is yours, "sold as seen".

Tell the cheeky fuckers to do it themselves. If it's such an issue to them the sale will prolly fall through anyway

We had to get one done as well as a boiler check. We sold our house to the builders of our new home like so not sure it is the same for a private sale.

Don't be surprised if the buyer pulls out then. I would want one doing if I was buying a house. You are meant to get them done regularly anyway.
Are you fuck

We are in the process of selling our house in North Yorkshire and have found a buyer. The buyer's solicitor has requested that we get an electrical safety check done on the house which will cost us around £180.

Is this normal procedure? Anyone else have to do this?

happens all the time mate.

Get the survey done yourself, but get the buyers to pay for it if there are no faults, as it's them that wants it done, and you aren't bothered.

We are in the process of selling our house in North Yorkshire and have found a buyer. The buyer's solicitor has requested that we get an electrical safety check done on the house which will cost us around £180.

Yes its a legal requirement gas as well i think. Mind i only paid spark 100

They'll be asking you to pay for the survey next! Unless you're desperate I'd be telling them to fuck off.

Is this not just a way for the buyer to lay the expense of a survey on the seller. They want to buy your house. If there is no obvious electrical fault then tell them to pay for their own survey, specifically to cover electrics. Some on here are saying, its only x'£'s,get it done. It also works the other way. They like your house, they want to buy it. Do you really think they will pull out for the sake of the price of a survey ? They effectively want a written guarantee, paid for by you. Some surveys in the past have been piss poor, and the surveyers have got away scott free. Probably the reason why this situation has come about. I'd just tell them,the house is yours, "sold as seen".

That deends on the market though surely. Jim van clinkenhoff might have had his house for sale for ages and this might be the first nibble, for the sake of a couple of hundred quid it might not be worth losing the sale

Got a feeling that your house has to be Part P certified in order to sell - I may be wrong like.

That deends on the market though surely. Jim van clinkenhoff might have had his house for sale for ages and this might be the first nibble, for the sake of a couple of hundred quid it might not be worth losing the sale
It's been on the market since January

Buyer should pay for most things as they are spending the money on the purchase. Makes sense. Caveat emptor etc.

If the seller does the survey's etc they may just make them look good to sell the house.

Feel sorry for buyers though if they pay for surveys etc and find either they are looking at a joke house or the seller takes house off the market.

Buyer should pay for most things as they are spending the money on the purchase. Makes sense. Caveat emptor etc.

If the seller does the survey's etc they may just make them look good to sell the house.

Feel sorry for buyers though if they pay for surveys etc and find either they are looking at a joke house or the seller takes house off the market.

When I bought my house I requested that they pay for an electrical survey. The electrics were old like so I did have a bit of a doubt. In the end they said no, I decided I wasn't that arsed actually so we agreed that I'd come round with a phone charger and just check all the sockets, turn on all the lights etc. That proved it was fine, the house hadn't burned down so I was happy enough.

They did suggest I could pay for it but, as you say, I was a bit anxious that on top of all the other fees I could end up paying for it just for them to take it off the market. Way I looked at it if they paid for it then, if they didn't end up selling, at least they'd know the house was safe electrically and if I pulled out at least they'd have a new certificate to help convince the next interest party to buy so it could still have value to them if I pulled out whereas it was worthless to me if they did.

I'd be surprised if it was a deal breaker mind, as long as the electrics are working and there's not exposed wiring everywhere you wouldn't be likely to walk away because of it; I didn't, just thought there was no harm in asking in the hopes they'd say yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back