Anyone remember Yeoman pie filling?

The issue is still the same.
My wife knocked up a minced beef and onion pie, Fresh mince. I stood there and sifted through all of the mince for any gristle. I found quite a bit and took it out.
The pie was lovely but I was always of the thought while eating it that I'd missed some and was just waiting for that bite into a bit...and this is the issue. It only takes this to happen and my entire meal is knackered.

I'm a right weird git.

Sounds like cheap mince IMO

I just used fresh mince for a chilli with zero gristle

Have you tried M&S tinned chunky steak? It's lean but I can't 100% guarantee it's gristle free but as it's in chunks you'll be able to rake through it more easily. It's not something I usually notice as I just chew through the lot. 😏

No lumps of fat or gristle, guaranteed.

And then they changed it to Tyne brand.

Now the thing is, I used to love this stuff, or most of it because I'm a fussy git and always have been where gristle and stuff is concerned, so this suited me perfectly.
My mother used to cook us a minced beef and onion pie or a braised beef one using this.

It was the closest thing to the real stuff for me.
I wonder why it disappeared. I've never seen it for a long long time.

Anyone have any ideas why they disappeared?

Or does anyone know of a brand that can guarantee this and actually taste decent enough to eat in a pie or whatever?
I know there's vegetarian stuff out there, like quorn and stuff but I've never found anything that tastes anywhere near what that stuff tasted like.

By the way I'm not a vegan or vegetarian. I just have this gag reflex for if I chew on gristle and due to me being a right strange get, it ruins my meal.

It was "mechanically recovered chopped & shaped meat". Basically the stuff they couldn't sell as real meat, ground down to a paste & then shaped to resemble mince or steak chunks. Disappeared after the mad cow outbreaks.

No lumps of fat or gristle, guaranteed.

And then they changed it to Tyne brand.

Now the thing is, I used to love this stuff, or most of it because I'm a fussy git and always have been where gristle and stuff is concerned, so this suited me perfectly.
My mother used to cook us a minced beef and onion pie or a braised beef one using this.

It was the closest thing to the real stuff for me.
I wonder why it disappeared. I've never seen it for a long long time.

Anyone have any ideas why they disappeared?

Or does anyone know of a brand that can guarantee this and actually taste decent enough to eat in a pie or whatever?
I know there's vegetarian stuff out there, like quorn and stuff but I've never found anything that tastes anywhere near what that stuff tasted like.

By the way I'm not a vegan or vegetarian. I just have this gag reflex for if I chew on gristle and due to me being a right strange get, it ruins my meal.
Mate, buy some frying steak cut the fat off it and mince it. No lumps of fat or gristle guaranteed.
It was "mechanically recovered chopped & shaped meat". Basically the stuff they couldn't sell as real meat, ground down to a paste & then shaped to resemble mince or steak chunks. Disappeared after the mad cow outbreaks.
I watched a documentary about that. They cut as much of the meat off as possible then steamed the carcasses and hoyed them into this massive spin dryer like contraption, they got rid of the bones and what was left over was used as you described.

Last edited by a moderator:
:eek:
Mate, buy some frying steak cut the fat off it and mince it. No lumps of fat or gristle guaranteed.
Aye, I think that'll be best.
I've not tried Chappie, but I've eaten a Pedigree Chum sarnie, many years ago.
:eek::lol:
I've only ever had that gristle from Aldi mince tbh
Some mince has very little in but it's that little that many people would likely overlook while eating. I'm a chewer and a slow eater, mostly and I tend to find that odd piece.
It's a psychological issue for me in terms of going into gagging mode.

I spend ages sifting through the mince with my fingers before using it for anything.
I'm too picky and it does my nut in to be honest.

Last edited:

Back