Anyone poorly

C

Clean Bristow

wife was poorly last week, did test but got negative although another virus was present.
I am ill now. Full of snot and a throat like someone is playing Kerplunk in it.

There's still going to be a lot of shite flying about like, we're in the realm of the seasonal noro and cold now.
For the benefit of doubt, are colds naturally occuring during winter due to your immune system or are they bug related IE been caught off someone, through inhaling their germs, picking up germs on fingers etc?

I seem to constantly have a sore throat over the last couple of weeks. Possibly related to wearing masks at work. Other than that I feel sound.

For the benefit of doubt, are colds naturally occuring during winter due to your immune system or are they bug related IE been caught off someone, through inhaling their germs, picking up germs on fingers etc?
Honestly, I don't know. I seem to recall reading that the cold/immune thing was a bit of a myth but I'm not sure.
Edit: Google says:

Many people associate cold weather with the common cold. While the weather is not directly responsible for making people sick, the viruses that cause colds may spread more easily in lower temperatures, and exposure to cold and dry air may adversely impact the body's immune system

I suppose central heating and wotnot could dry up the natural mucus membrane that protects you from certain airborne things. Plus folk generally huddling around in close proximity than being out and about.

Last edited:

Google says that colds are contagious. If this is true then maybe the measures we have to reduce covid might also help reduce the number of people getting colds too.

Colds are viruses and there's at least 200 known cold causing viruses, often the the cause of a cold can't be identified. They exist throughout the year but colds have a higher prevalence in winter months for a whole load of reasons; more time indoors in closer contact with others, kids are at school and they're excellent hosts with less previous exposure, the air is drier so your nasal passages are drier meaning less resistance and more area for the viruses to take hold. There's also a spike in springtime when allergies mean peoples immune systems are dealing with other things allowing viruses to take hold in the body.
There was some research a couple year ago that suggested that the most common cold viruses (rhinoviruses) replicate better in temps just below body temperature which could suggest they grow better in the nasal cavity in colder weather.

A cold is a transmissible disease caused by a number of different infectious agents.

The biggest factor in winter increases is probably behavioural changes, people simply spend more time indoors with other people when its cold.

wife was poorly last week, did test but got negative although another virus was present.
I am ill now. Full of snot and a throat like someone is playing Kerplunk in it.

Wife's (no) marras (no) dad was bad with all the classic symptoms (including loss of smell/taste and was canny bad, had 3 tests and all negative. The doctor was convinced it was covid and said they had seen others in a similar situation and wondered if there was a different strain not picked up by the current tests (this was about a month or so back).

There's always colds going round this time of year. I seem to get one every September when the bairn goes back to school and brings new germs home.

Had a sore throat earlier this week.

I normally get a chesty cough this time of year which can last three months so I am hoping that these Covid-19 precautions will prevent that.

Back