Anyone owned an Aston Martin before?

One of the top Aston Dealerships/Approved Independent Garages is near Stanley IIRC.

Im sure if you gave them a call theyd discuss it with you all day long. They do everything from repairs to full restoration and probably know more about Aston Martins than anyone online
My mate is the sales manager there, massive lads fan and can talk all day about Aston‘s and SAFC. Julio lodged with him when he first came over. True story

Last edited:
My mate is the sales manager there, massive lads fan and can talk all day about Aston‘s and SAFC. Julio lodged with him when he first came over. True story

Only reason I know about it is because I was in the Beamish Mary last year and there was a very eccentric gentleman in there who had come from down south to have some repairs done.

Kind of eccentric who can say "drove up on sunday, just to get a service. Dropped the old Aston to the chap down the road. Wonderful fellow, will have it fixed by tomorrow in time to make the homestead in Suffolk by sundown" and no one pays even the slightest bit of notice. It was like the major from Fawlty Towers was in the pub

I thought it was the drink talking till a local pointed out there was actually an Aston garage within a few mile. I thought he was taking the piss as well.

Last edited:

Bumped into a mate a few years back , he was with someone who worked there and I got invited up for a look round.

An absolute treasure trove of old Astons , workshops full of cars being restored and rebuilt.

Some of the restoration jobs are in excess of £300k for parts and labour , the cars are sent in from all over the world such is the reputation for the workmanship.

Great place for anyone with an interest in cars to go and have a look.

Bumped into a mate a few years back , he was with someone who worked there and I got invited up for a look round.

An absolute treasure trove of old Astons , workshops full of cars being restored and rebuilt.

Some of the restoration jobs are in excess of £300k for parts and labour , the cars are sent in from all over the world such is the reputation for the workmanship.

Another mate of mine is Aston daft.

His old man (RIP) had a DB4 restored but with extras.

Rebored engine with over 50% power increase was the big ticket cost. He took me out in it and I have to say it was mix of exhilaration and terror as we shot past caravans on the A30.

It even had an authentic looking radio which was actually a CD player

Poor build quality and the steering wheels are like dinner plates. There’s also questionable reliability and a warranty would be essential.

For the money, and if you’re after 4 seats, buy a 991 Porsche. You’ll probably be able to pick up a first generation for similar money to an AM and it’s just an all round better car.

If it’s a sports car you’re after and you don’t mind two seats and want something that’ll make you money, but a 918 GT4. They’ve bottomed our in price this last few months and pound for pound they’re the ultimate drivers Porsche. Mid engine, lightweight proper super car. They’ll double in price over the next 5 years. That’s where the smart money would be.

Poor build quality and the steering wheels are like dinner plates. There’s also questionable reliability and a warranty would be essential.

For the money, and if you’re after 4 seats, buy a 991 Porsche. You’ll probably be able to pick up a first generation for similar money to an AM and it’s just an all round better car.

If it’s a sports car you’re after and you don’t mind two seats and want something that’ll make you money, but a 918 GT4. They’ve bottomed our in price this last few months and pound for pound they’re the ultimate drivers Porsche. Mid engine, lightweight proper super car. They’ll double in price over the next 5 years. That’s where the smart money would be.

4 useable seats in a 991 ?

never read anything so daft for ages man.

4 useable seats in a 991 ?

never read anything so daft for ages man.

Ive had both a 991 and now have a 992. The cars are bigger every generation to the extent the 992 is more like a grand tourer now. My son is about 5’10 and my daughter not much smaller. They can both get in the back without any problems!

Granted, you wouldn’t be too comfortable driving to the south of France but it’s more than capable as an occasional 4 seater.

My ex lass used to finance his purchases years ago. He’d have collectors all over the world and especially in the Far East who’d come to him wanting something. He’d source it, but it, restore it then sell it to them.

Ive had both a 991 and now have a 992. The cars are bigger every generation to the extent the 992 is more like a grand tourer now. My son is about 5’10 and my daughter not much smaller. They can both get in the back without any problems!

Granted, you wouldn’t be too comfortable driving to the south of France but it’s more than capable as an occasional 4 seater.

“if you’re after a four seater buy a 991 “

Is a bit different to “ an occasional 4 seater “ , no ?

Drove a DB9 at full belt around a track on elvington airfield once it's like sitting on a jet engine.it was much better than the Lamborghini gallardo*

Drove a DB9 at full belt around a track on elvington airfield once it's like sitting on a jet engine.it was much better than the Lamborghini gallardo*

I found the exact opposite.

The Aston was like a souped up Mondeo and I was killing them in the Lambo out of the corners. The Aston felt plasticy and poorly built and lacked and real power
when you got it out onto the track. The Gallardo just had power to burn in every gear.

Cracking day out that!

Back