Anyone owned an Aston Martin before?

Unless you are very lucky and very good with spanner’s, owning an old classic is often a very expensive hobby.
This is true but the one linked is only nine years old and pretty much mint. It won’t depreciate massively and is a fantastic car, it’s not like buying an Austin Healy 3000 or an Alvis which one of my mates dads has just done.

Last edited:
They aren’t cheap to run.

One of my uncles and a client of mine at work have them (DB7 and a Vantage). The service cost is at least £1k a year and every couple of years you’ll need additional servicing that at a few more £k here and there. If you average it out over 3 years I reckon it would work out at £2k per year in servicing.

The insurance isn’t cheap and they’re also very thirsty cars.

They aren’t cheap to run.

One of my uncles and a client of mine at work have them (DB7 and a Vantage). The service cost is at least £1k a year and every couple of years you’ll need additional servicing that at a few more £k here and there. If you average it out over 3 years I reckon it would work out at £2k per year in servicing.

The insurance isn’t cheap and they’re also very thirsty cars.

Tbf the entire thread was posted as a “look at me” so he’ll definitely be able to afford it

One of my mates has a Rolls Royce and it’s been a disaster. Engine repairs are expensive and the interior is poor. Things come loose and despite its reputation of quality it’s been anything but. It is an old car mind but he had a Jag before the rolls and the Jag never missed a beat.

One of my mates has a Rolls Royce and it’s been a disaster. Engine repairs are expensive and the interior is poor. Things come loose and despite its reputation of quality it’s been anything but. It is an old car mind but he had a Jag before the rolls and the Jag never missed a beat.
I was going to suggest to the OP save a bit of money and get a decent 5 litre XK Jag. Not that I’ve ever had one, or an Aston.

You need to be prepared to spend thousands a year on parts and maintenance and not wince when doing it otherwise you will hate it. They are cheap for a reason when they get older I.e. most people who spend 20 odd thousand on a car who can easily afford the running costs are few and far between. The people who buy them new just bang down their 1500 a month or whatever and have a warranty.

Thanks mate, interesting and worrying at the same time.

It sounded awesome but my Golf R is faster

The Rapid S has the trick exhaust as standard whereas its an option on the Rapide

Figures very similar, and over 120mph I'd expect to see the Aston charge off, but on a mix of country roads and the nearest dual carriageway the Golf just did him.

Economy was similar too (V12 vs Straight 4, go figure).

Last edited:

Back