anyone on here

Under 30 so never went to clubs when smoking inside was still legal but I can imagine the smell on clothes afterwards much have been lifting after spending a few hours in a hot sweaty place full of people puffing away with inadequate air con.

What year was smoking on buses outlawed? Was it 2005 (or whenever the main ban was) or before? I honestly can’t remember being on a bus with people smoking when I was a bairn! Probably just my patchy memory though.
It was banned on the bus well before then. I'm 35 and remember ash trays and striking plates for matches on the bus when I was a kid, but a lot of them had no smoking signs right next to them.

The main ban came in 2007. We used to go round the Ivy House every Friday after work, the first time we went in after the ban the place was lifting with the smell of sweat and mould. The smoke had masked all the other horrible stenches in a lot of bars.

Would've been about 2010 when my mate lit a tab standing at the bar in Paddy Whacks. He was that pissed trying to light it the bouncers were over before he even got a lungfull :lol:

Like people have said,you just accepted it,nobody sat there wafting their hands or complaining. It was just the way things were,in shopping centres,pubs,planes,the match......

Does sitting in a stand count as indoors in your opinion like?
I got wrang at the cricket once off a Policewoman for smoking. You can't technically get anymore outside. :lol:

Did most of my flying for graft in the 70's and 80 's. I' m sure I used to remember them saying, if the cabin pressure falls, and the the oxygen masks drop, please extinguish cigarettes before donning mask. Seems like another world now.
:lol:
I remember that. Wouldn't they extinguish themselves anyway?

I remember flying on an internal flight in the US in the 90s.

Woman in front of me was kicking off about the fact they'd changed the plane at last minute and her seat number was now in the smoking section.

Stewardess was brilliant. Moved her one row forward into the no smoking section and she was as happy as Larry.

Last edited:

Back