Anyone into James Elroy?

Tex

Striker
i thought the fillum of LA Confidential was one of the best films in decades but the book went on far too long. The screenwriters deserve massive credit for boilin down his book into such a great flick.

Read several of his others, including ‘The Cold Six Thousand’ which was decent but he does go on a bit eh?

Struggling through ‘Bloods A Rover’ now and by Christ it’s hard work. This will likely be my last of his, it’s going round and round and getting nowhere, and I have to admit I don’t really feel like I know nor even care much about the various protagonists.

huge admirer of his work mesel but if you think he gans on a bit you might as well give it up mate. bloods a rover was the weakest of the american tabloid trilogy tbf iirc. his last one, perfidia was crackin mind imo

huge admirer of his work mesel but if you think he gans on a bit you might as well give it up mate. bloods a rover was the weakest of the american tabloid trilogy tbf iirc. his last one, perfidia was crackin mind imo
Cheers Giddy, always appreciate your input mate.

Please tell me the payoff in this book is worthwhile. Right now I’m having flashbacks to when I read Lord of the Rings! I’m not holding out much hope as it seems with a lot of his books there isn’t really a satisfying conclusion he just seems to run out of steam!

American Tabloid is one of my favourite books. His books are like Russian roulette, some brilliant and some disappear up their own backsides.

Have you read my dark places which is a true crime book about his search for his mother's killer?

Love American Tabloid and Silent Terror. Struggled with the rest. Watched a load of documentaries about him and he's a complete mentalist.

Rampart, the film he wrote starring Woody Harrelson is canny good too.

Cheers Giddy, always appreciate your input mate.

Please tell me the payoff in this book is worthwhile. Right now I’m having flashbacks to when I read Lord of the Rings! I’m not holding out much hope as it seems with a lot of his books there isn’t really a satisfying conclusion he just seems to run out of steam!
my advice, halt with bloods a rover, read american tabloid then reappraise the cold 6000 and think about finishing bloods a rover there mate.

Back