Anyone here still do the Pools

Status
Not open for further replies.

My dad used to do it (pools) even though he had no interest in footy, just used to stick to a random pattern of x's

Also used to to the spot the ball Aswell, but went for the more conventional 'where the ball maybe' approach

I'm sure I read a story that the Spot the Ball was actually all fake. They would simply decide where they wanted the ball to be, and then pick the winner.
It had nothing to do with where the ball actually was.

My grandma used to do the pools and me and my brother would help her check her coupon. I never understood what it was all about. She never won owt.

There were no draws in the Premier League on Saturday and only 1 in the Championship that was 0-0.
Wonder how often that happens, can't be much.

I had to do 19 coupons every week, my old man would pick 20 matches and those match numbers would be assigned 1-20
the perm was then any 4 pair from 10 pair so on coupon #1 it would be match 1 - 2, 3 - 4, 5 - 6 etc. coupon 2 would be something like 1 - 3, 2 - 4, etc then continue switching for all 19 coupons did this for years and obviously never hit the jackpot :lol::evil:

or spot the ball for that matter

Was a religion in our house.

don't think my dad had a plan and looked at the fixtures...

Saturday afternoon watching the diddy printer.

not a peep out when the scores read out or hell to pay

I was seeing a lass when I was 16 but just pissed her about cos I was young and not really bothered about throwing an anchor down.

About 6 months after I knocked her on the head her auld man won £150k on Spot the Ball.

George the coupon man would call every Thursday and collect them. If he missed him it was an excuse to call in the Wavey and drop them off
George collected ours too. I remember they were always on the mantlepiece with the money and I had to make sure I listened for the knock when he came round. Wonder if he just pocketed the money and gambled himself. :)

George collected ours too. I remember they were always on the mantlepiece with the money and I had to make sure I listened for the knock when he came round. Wonder if he just pocketed the money and gambled himself. :)

that wasn't unheard of.

number of occasions when the numbers have come up and the pools man had been diddling

My Dad won spot the ball in about 1991, £175,000. He had a small rubber stamp with about 240 crosses on it, he was convinced he would win it one day as he was in the area of the ball nearly every week. The win changed his life, he retired from his job as a boiler man at Brian Mills and moved to Manchester with my mum to be near me.
He was always very generous and winning that money meant he could treat his family to holidays and gifts without worrying about the cost.

I'm sure I read a story that the Spot the Ball was actually all fake. They would simply decide where they wanted the ball to be, and then pick the winner.
It had nothing to do with where the ball actually was.
Absolutely true that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back