Anyone had hip replacement surgery?

Been told I need one. Im 45 and in Spain. Docs keep saying come back when you cant take any more pain on the painkillers. They reckon Im too young cos they only last 15 years.

Not looking forward to it having read this!

I've been putting it off for a year now but the time to act is approaching. What i want to know is how long is the recovery period? Any advice would be appreciated.

MIL had both done about 3 years apart. Both text book ops and recovery. Up and about in no time at all. She left it way too long to get sorted but luckily there were no negative consequences. Mr Pieson (sic) at South shields did the ops, think he may have retired now though.

Been told I need one. Im 45 and in Spain. Docs keep saying come back when you cant take any more pain on the painkillers. They reckon Im too young cos they only last 15 years.

Not looking forward to it having read this!

is the life span not far greater for hips now.

studies show 15-20 years and greater. However as they modernise materials, these take time to come into the system and wont show for years.

knees are about 15 - 20 years often far greater.

I am more interested in knee replacement as that is what I need.

I have been told about the pain after the op, but it is worth it, if I can walk to the match or town centre or have a pain free sleep

Out of surgery a couple of hours ago and I'm feeling fine. In fact I feel tremendous. Morphine is ace.

after my knee was replaced, I lifted said leg in air and twirling about. Day after I was in agony and couldn't lift it at all.

the guy that cleans our wheelie bin has his done at start of march and he was out to clean the bins today and he is pain free now and loving it. so that's about 10 weeks and he is back to work.

when in hospital take as much painkillers as they throw at you.

its when you are out after a week / fortnight that you need to start reducing or coming off. I had 7 days tramadol and stopped them after that and used brufon / paracetamol

everybody is different mind, so do what you feel is right

Out of surgery a couple of hours ago and I'm feeling fine. In fact I feel tremendous. Morphine is ace.
Recovery is quick as owt ,uncle had both done in the last 2 year and he’s been up on his feet in a couple of weeks no problem .He walked about 7 mile 6 weeks after his 2nd op .

One of the bricklayers who works for us is off recovering now(had it done 2 weeks ago ) ,felt instantly better straight after surgery and is /was only taking parecetomol for the damage to the skin ,not the actual hip replacement on the bone .No pain at all he reckons .

Not had hip or knee done but had fairly major spinal surgery. My best advice is no matter how good it feels take it easy. You'll feel much better than you expected then it'll all stiffen up. Stick with the slow physio.

Good news, delighted for you. My wife had hers done six weeks ago and is now walking round the house without a stick, takes it as insurance when outside.

She had it done Wednesday night and was at home Friday before lunch.

She’s seeing the surgeon tomorrow to get signed off and fingers crossed the OK to drive.

The key thing is DO THE EXERCISES they give you!

I've been putting it off for a year now but the time to act is approaching. What i want to know is how long is the recovery period? Any advice would be appreciated.

My Mam had her left hip done about 20 years about, would have been 53 I think. Three days on the ward post op, and then recovery at home, and encouraged to walk short distances outside within four days of the op, home visits by district nurse to change the dressing and to remove stitches, etc. Very little discomfort or pain following the op.

Wish I could say the same for her now though... needs the other one doing now, and she thinks she’s having problems with the replacement too. But at 73 she isn’t keen to have another op.

My Mam had her left hip done about 20 years about, would have been 53 I think. Three days on the ward post op, and then recovery at home, and encouraged to walk short distances outside within four days of the op, home visits by district nurse to change the dressing and to remove stitches, etc. Very little discomfort or pain following the op.

Wish I could say the same for her now though... needs the other one doing now, and she thinks she’s having problems with the replacement too. But at 73 she isn’t keen to have another op.

Aye, it's a big op for someone in their seventies. Routine, but still a major op.

Last edited:

But she’s had 20 years when she was young enough to enjoy it.

Back