Anyone had a dog with travel sickness

the jackel

Midfield
As stated, my dog can't get to the end of the street without barfing, it's ridiculous. We would love to take her away with us, but preferably without the sick bucket. Anyone else had this problem with their pooch & if so, did you find any remedies. I have tried travel sickness tablets from the vets. Tried not feeding her on a morning, window down, but nothing works. She starts slavering all over then pukes :lol:

Not sickness ( sorry no advice to offer) but terrified of being in the car. Shakes, cries and screams. Tried all kinds but nothing works. Done a few long weekends with him last year.. horrendous journeys.

I took my dog to the vet yesterday because he kept being sick.

The vet picked him up and said "I'm really sorry but I'm going to have to put him down."

I said "Why?, what's wrong with him?"

"Nothing major", replied the vet. "He's just really heavy."

So you continued to let the poor bugger eat it own sick? :lol: As long as they enjoyed it a suppose
What could I do? He was in the back, I was in the front. I asked him not to, but you know what they’re like.

But that would be it. He’d throw up early on, lick most of it up, and then be fine for the rest of the journey.

Stugeron 15 travel sickness tablet, half an hour to an hour before you plan to travel.

Short trips to exciting places, even if you walk him from yours around the block, put him in the car and drive a few yards then take him for a walk.

Feed him his meals in the back of the car on your drive, it’s now at a point where it’s a habit and the car is now associated with a fight / flight response. It’s a case of breaking the habit and making the car an exciting place to be.
Must add, depends on the size of your dog for the tablet. Mine are usually around 15kg puppies when it comes to it.

Also when going to buy the tablets from the chemist, they’re for you and not the dog, otherwise the chemist won’t sell them to you.

Last edited:
Stugeron 15 travel sickness tablet, half an hour to an hour before you plan to travel.

Short trips to exciting places, even if you walk him from yours around the block, put him in the car and drive a few yards then take him for a walk.

Feed him his meals in the back of the car on your drive, it’s now at a point where it’s a habit and the car is now associated with a fight / flight response. It’s a case of breaking the habit and making the car an exciting place to be.
Must add, depends on the size of your dog for the tablet. Mine are usually around 15kg puppies when it comes to it.

Also when going to buy the tablets from the chemist, they’re for you and not the dog, otherwise the chemist won’t sell them to you.
We have people coming in who have been directed to us from the vets. A lot of human drugs are also prescribed by vets for animals.

We had a Border Terrier that was sick every time we took him in the car, we tried everything, pills from the vet, potions from the internet and pet shops, putting his bed in the car, but nothing worked until one day when I had an idea, we stopped putting him in the car and that solved the problem.

As stated, my dog can't get to the end of the street without barfing, it's ridiculous. We would love to take her away with us, but preferably without the sick bucket. Anyone else had this problem with their pooch & if so, did you find any remedies. I have tried travel sickness tablets from the vets. Tried not feeding her on a morning, window down, but nothing works. She starts slavering all over then pukes :lol:
I’m not sure what you could buy over the counter if the vet prescribed tablets didn’t work.

We had a Border Terrier that was sick every time we took him in the car, we tried everything, pills from the vet, potions from the internet and pet shops, putting his bed in the car, but nothing worked until one day when I had an idea, we stopped putting him in the car and that solved the problem.

Skateboard attached to the bumper that he could ride whenever you went away?

My JR had travel sickness, I fitted a basket above the glove compartment and as long as she could look out of the front window she wasn't sick.
Obviously won't work if you have a Great Dane, plus she licked fuck out of the window leaving it with a cleaning each time.
Eventually she didn't even need that anymore, but still loves to look out front if allowed.

Back