Anyone got any experience of buying a Cat D motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gutmackem

Striker
Been looking for a car & one has turned up which is spot on, other than its cat d, apparently only because it had a bent shock absorber?? Not sure how that works like.
I've read some insurance companies won't insure this, any other problems I should foresee?

Just make sure it's repaired properly, Cat D is nowt, Ive had loads, never had any bother insuring any of them.

as long as its been repaired properly then you'll have no problems

only thing to watch out for is if you write it off the insurance company will knock 20% of the payout cos its a cat d

(mine did at least)

CatD normally just means superficial damage but cost of repairs was greater than 50% of the value of the car. Don’t imagine you’d have any problems insuring it and provided repairs have been done properly should be fine. CatC I’d be more cautious of.

Just make sure it's repaired properly, Cat D is nowt, Ive had loads, never had any bother insuring any of them.
It's been repaired properly, well the shock absorber has been renewed, but how can the cost of a shock absorber render the vehicle a cat d write off?

It's been repaired properly, well the shock absorber has been renewed, but how can the cost of a shock absorber render the vehicle a cat d write off?
Depends on the car, any damage to the top of the car where it bolts on ? if the shocker was bent the bottom arm could have been aswel, anti roll bar, abs, brake caliper etc.

It's worth somewhere in the region of £28000, surely a shock absorber & fitting is nowhere near this & theres gotta be plenty available
It will have been more than a shock absorber. As suggested above bent shock plus control arms spring tyre wheel they suggest you change stuff like that in pairs so possibly Other side changed too then tracking and labour and possibly some panel damage as well.

It's worth somewhere in the region of £28000, surely a shock absorber & fitting is nowhere near this & theres gotta be plenty available

Everything that will be replaced will be with genuine parts and fitted at main dealer labour rates. Things very quickly add up. Plus the damage estimation will have included every little thing that was damage in the crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back