Anyone got a garage?

the boot

Winger
Tried doing my bottom arm/ball joint on the van. Failed miserably, Need it doing ASAP. MOT retest due.
All the arm/wishbone bolts have been out just can’t break the ball joint with it being on the jack. I have the bottom arm here.

Got a lock up but got no time to be sorting your van.

Get a scaffolding pole between the bottom arm and the underside of the body and use the pole as leverage to pop it out. A tap with a hammer while someone hangs on the bar from a second person will have it out.

Or buy a ball joint splitter (or I’ve got one you can borrow).

Last edited:
Whats that feckin thing in your avatar? Didnt have you down as a bivvy boy/ cyprinid botherer mind
Just an afternoon up silky pond mate. Took the boy up for silvers got two about the same size first two hoys. Not weighed but about about 8lb. Nee bivvies. Done a couple of years pond match fishing on the pole.
Got a lock up but got no time to be sorting your van.

Get a scaffolding pole between the bottom arm and the underside of the body and use the pole as leverage to pop it out. A tap with a hammer while someone hangs on the bar from a second person will have it out.

Or buy a ball joint splitter (or I’ve got one you can borrow).
Cheers mate got the splitter and knocked fuck out of it today to no avail.
Sunderland Auto Electrics on Thompson Road, cheap and sound.
Might try here like if Scott’s bank can’t do it.

Last edited:
Aye stuck in hub mate. Got it sorted, did it myself. watched some YouTube to see where I was going wrong and realised I had only gone and left the pinch bolt in, loosened it but left it in!!! What a Wally. Sorted and tested now though so I’m happy.
😅no wonder. As you now know the ball joint is reccesed where the pinch bolt sits, to stop it coming out if it comes slack. Best to fit a new bolt and nut to.

Aye stuck in hub mate. Got it sorted, did it myself. watched some YouTube to see where I was going wrong and realised I had only gone and left the pinch bolt in, loosened it but left it in!!! What a Wally. Sorted and tested now though so I’m happy.

Just be happy you didn't take it somewhere else to fix - 'You've left the pinch bolt in' followed by lots of laughing and a bill...

😅no wonder. As you now know the ball joint is reccesed where the pinch bolt sits, to stop it coming out if it comes slack. Best to fit a new bolt and nut to.
The van needs renewing now tbh mate. Got 90k on and I don’t like them over 100k so just put the old one back in. It came out no bother and once it was out the ball joint popped no bother.
bright as a 5w bulb.
Ere man!!! Ball joint had nuts on when I work on cars. :lol:
Just be happy you didn't take it somewhere else to fix - 'You've left the pinch bolt in' followed by lots of laughing and a bill...
I know. I’m an idiot, but not totally.

Last edited:

Back