Anyone gone vegan recently?

The preachy ones are an irritating minority.
Daughter is a vegan. Never mentions it unless food is offered. Lots of people get irritated. It's hilarious when I mention it to people. I eat a lot of vegan stuff and might take the plunge eventually but probably won't. My meat and dairy consumption has dropped dramatically in last year.

I've got no problem with vegetarians or vegans as long as they aren't preachy about it.

I remember getting on a train at Newcastle to go to Edinburgh. It was quite early as I was going to Aberdeen so I'd popped into Greggs and got a bacon sarnie. I sat down in my reserved seat on the train and the lass sat next to me said " Do you mind I'm vegetarian" while pointing at my sarnie I told her "Its ok I wasn't going to offer you any anyway" she got up and moved seats.

I found that after three months of not eating dairy, that it upset my stomach when I tried it again.

Lesson learnt. My body had been fighting against this stuff all my life. I eat my porridge with almond or oat milk now.

The only thing I miss that I used to like is blue cheese and yoghurt, but neither are worth the discomfort that follows.
Sounds like you might have triggered your lactose intolerance by abstaining from it. If you'd been lactose intolerant before, you'd probably have known about it.

Daughter is a vegan. Never mentions it unless food is offered. Lots of people get irritated. It's hilarious when I mention it to people. I eat a lot of vegan stuff and might take the plunge eventually but probably won't. My meat and dairy consumption has dropped dramatically in last year.
My daughter is vegan too.

Like yourself, we eat a lot of vegan stuff. Generally we eat less meat, and while the Memsaab still has a bit of dairy, I stopped for a while and find now that it upsets my stomach.

There is a lot more variety and support around for eating a more plant based diet than even two years ago. But food companies are following the money, and the amount of unhealthy processed vegan food, epitomised by the Greggs vegan sausage roll (just as greasy as the meat counterpart), means that pretty soon it will be easy to have a bad diet while eating vegan.

Sounds like you might have triggered your lactose intolerance by abstaining from it. If you'd been lactose intolerant before, you'd probably have known about it.
I think so as well.

Last edited:
My daughter is vegan too.

Like yourself, we eat a lot of vegan stuff. Generally we eat less meat, and while the Memsaab still has a bit of dairy, I stopped for a while and find now that it upsets my stomach.

There is a lot more variety and support around for eating a more plant based diet than even two years ago. But food companies are following the money, and the amount of unhealthy processed vegan food, epitomised by the Greggs vegan sausage roll (just as greasy as the meat counterpart), means that pretty soon it will be easy to have a bad diet while eating vegan.
Vegan sausage roll was great for first bite. Ridiculously salty and I won't be eating in Greggs soon.
Nothing wrong with a bit of processed shite now and then.

I don’t believe any of the shite the health people come up with. It’s summat different every year. You have super fit super healthy people who get cancer and you have fat slobs who live to 90. I just dont believe it’s worth changing your lifestyle on the off chance. You might get hit buy a bus to tomorrow.

This is why I’ve no doubt that vegan is just a fad. Talking to my militant vegan mate:

Me: why are eggs bad?
V: cos of battery farms
Me: what about if you had your own happy chickens - could you eat those eggs?
V: Err yes I suppose.
Me: so there’s no need to stop eating dairy is there? Just source it ethically
V: Errrrrr (scratches head)
You would struggle to ethically find dairy products. The only way you get milk from a cow is keeping it pregnant or just have had a calf. They then take that calf away. Most of the cows now produce too much milk for that calf so it needs very costly management to allow it to have its calf and milk it too. Bull calves are often shot ( not as much now)
There are people who try goats as a way of get dairy as often they are hobby farmers and talking a bit and allowing the doe to keep the kid.

You would struggle to ethically find dairy products. The only way you get milk from a cow is keeping it pregnant or just have had a calf. They then take that calf away. Most of the cows now produce too much milk for that calf so it needs very costly management to allow it to have its calf and milk it too. Bull calves are often shot ( not as much now)
There are people who try goats as a way of get dairy as often they are hobby farmers and talking a bit and allowing the doe to keep the kid.

Quick edit there, well done.

Why did the caller need to tell the person at the bank that they were vegan?
Because they were Vegan

Logon or register to see this image

Yep. :lol:

I know a couple of lads I play rugby with who went vegan, fuck me they are annoying now.

Every injury from someone would be solved by eating more greens and nutloaf
:lol:

The main reason I would become vegan now is the animosity from a fair few people who eat meat. I may just say I am for the fun of it.
:lol:

Replace daughter for wife, and this is me to a t.
I'd like to go vegan but at the moment it's a bit too much hassle, and probably won't, though it's getting far easier, most restaraunts have quite nice vegan choices.
If you said I'd have this view 5 yrs ago I'd have laughed at you (I love the gym and my meat protein consumption was ridiculous) , but nowadays I usually take veggie options when available and have a few meat free days, supplemented by vegan protein powder

Replace daughter for wife, and this is me to a t.
I'd like to go vegan but at the moment it's a bit too much hassle, and probably won't, though it's getting far easier, most restaraunts have quite nice vegan choices.
If you said I'd have this view 5 yrs ago I'd have laughed at you (I love the gym and my meat protein consumption was ridiculous) , but nowadays I usually take veggie options when available and have a few meat free days, supplemented by vegan protein powder

Not to de-rail everyone shouting about bacon and crying about people being preachy but - What do you use? I'm working my way through MyProteins vanilla soy isolate but find it is really, really foamy and you need loads of liquid to get a decent consistency. It's fine, but am open to trying something else if it's better.

Back