Anyone ever seen a wild adder?

I've worked in moorland all over the country. I've had to stop work while snake surveys were carried out and still never seen one. I've also camped under the stars in the Australian Out back and haven't seen any snakes there either. They must be quite shy.

Yes. I was in the house in France and heard my daughter screaming in the garden. Came out and there was an adder ambling along the side of the house.

I’m much more cautious now about walking out barefoot but still stupidly garden in my flip flops from time to time.

*EDIT* Sorry just noticed you said in the UK.
That would have been l'adder not adder ye daftee.

No - even though I was brought up on tales of adders hiding in every dry stone dyke when I was a bairn (we used to spent a bit of time up Weardale, in the Lakes and over at a relation's farm in Galloway).

However - I did see one of these sitting on a rock looking at me when we were walking along a ravine with the kids in Cyprus as few years ago. They weren't too keen on joining me to do ravine walking after that. I think it's called a Blunt Nose Viper.

Logon or register to see this image

Though we saw one on a school trip to High Weald forest in Kent once. Two of us saw it go into a big pile of logs. We spent the next hour trying to dare each other to move the logs out of the way and find it. Could’ve easily been a slow worm.

i've seen a fair few during my time here. they're venomous but really passive. have never had any bother with them. a mate just about stood on one and it just ignored him.
Aye that is what the farmer said like, supposedly venom is not strong enough to kill an adult. Would make you feel like shit in hospital few days like.

They are also a 'liked' snake because they eat brown snakes. That is what I was told anyway.

I've worked in moorland all over the country. I've had to stop work while snake surveys were carried out and still never seen one. I've also camped under the stars in the Australian Out back and haven't seen any snakes there either. They must be quite shy.
People like you have fatal accidents with clothes pegs & coasters & stuff. Yeah I did see an adder once, I think? Hamsterley forest about 1980 with cub scouts, we moved a log and this snake shot out, a big greeny brown bugger.

However, not an adder, but much more dangerous, I was out in the sticks in Burma about 30 years ago.

There was a very basic outside toilet, the roof was propped up by a wooden post in the middle of it.

As I squatted on the toilet, to do my business, I looked at the post, coiled around it was a huge colourful snake.

Probably a krait or something.

It was looking at me and doing the flicky snakey thing with its tongue.

Quickest crap I have ever had.
You mean you finished up while it was doing that "flicky snakey thing with its tongue"?????

Seen a few king cobra in the philippines,a lime green snake in the new Territories in HK that looked as if it was venomous,couple of others in different parts of the world that might have been dangerous.Loads of grass snakes,slow worms and only a very small number of adders in the uk

Back