Anyone ever seen a wild adder?

Snakes Alive

Just uploaded some pics of the one I saw.
full

full

full

When I was little my gran use to live on the west coast of Scotland next to a forest, me, my dad and brother went for a walk in the forest, we saw a snake sunning itself on a tree stump, my dad picked a long piece of grass and started to tickle it, thinking it was a grass snake.

When we got back to my grans my dad tells her, she asks what it looked like, he says black dimaond pattern on it, she told him it was an adder and he was a stupid sod for going near it.

I'm petrified of snakes and can't even watch them on the telly.
I've only ever seen one snake live and that was a couple of years back up at the top of Santa Eulalia, in Ibiza. I was walking along and one slithered out of the bushes, I literally very nearly shit myself and was nearly knocked over as I belted over the other side of the main road.

As I was walking back with my milk from the Supermarket (on the other side, obviously), I couldn't see it, until a bus pulled away and I saw it lying in its death throes on the road.
I almost felt sorry for it. Actually, did I balls.

Stock Photo - Snake Adder Warning Sign Weardale County Durham UK

There’s a few kicking about up Weardale, especially around Bollihope, a popular picnic spot.

All sorts around my place in Spain. One shot out of the car Engine one day.
My Jack Russel grabbed it in a jiff and snapped its head off.

I've saw one at the far end of Bollihope where the quarry is near White Kirkley.

Seen dozens over the years - had a small one crawl over my bare foot once,
Loads of them up on the moors around Weardale
South side of the Derwent reservoir is another hotspot
If you want to see them go out on a spring morning when they sun themselves to warm up
They'll be hibernating still at present, but in a month or so they'll be out and about,
More sloworms around than people think anarl

Did you finish? Did you wipe?

I've never seen a snake in the wild in the UK. I did see one in Taipei (in the city area) and googled it to find out what it was (can't remember now) but they have lots of venous snakes over there, the snake I saw however wasn't one.

I've come across a few in Florida too (little ones in the garden or pool) and I remember my mum running over one in the car, a git big fuck off one (must have been 12ft+ fatty). You felt the wheels bump and then I looked back and saw this snake coiling around in the road.

Was snorkeling in a remote part of Philippines 2 years ago and saw a very dangerous and venomous sea snake. Was retreating away from it and got stung by a jellyfish...lesser of 2 evils I suppose

Last edited:
Yes, up in Kielder. We played hide and seek as kids and one of us nearly sat on two.

We also have two old skins up me mam N dad's.

I do reptile surveys for Surrey Amphibian and Reptile Group, recording sightings (and taking metrics of smooth snakes) of our 6 native reptiles. They're all fairly common down here due to all the heathland.
We're starting early emergence surveys specifically for Adders next weekend. They'll be starting to pop out of their dens now to get some sun when they can.

I've only ever seen one in the UK, sunning itself on Dartmoor.

I've seen loads of other snakes in Africa, mostly dead on the roads. On my first day up-country, though, I arrived at the teachers' mess, where I was to stay until I found my own accommodation, and the other teachers gathered to greet me. Suddenly a cry went up and everyone rushed outside. A snake had been spotted and, by the time I caught up, beaten to death. They held it up to me: an 8-foot cobra! :eek:

I did think about turning round and going straight back home.:lol:

Back