Anyone ever been head hunted?

Had a company call me up out of the blue the other day asking me to attend an interview in Germany, all costs paid.
I'm not looking for a new job and haven't indicated to anyone any desire to move out of my current job.

Anyone had owt like this happen to them?
Have you seen Hostel?

Worked in the industry I'm in for years but one day I'd decided I've had enough and had a complete change. About a year later had a call from a big north east company asking me to work for them, so I did and had three good years.

Got a call from a smaller, family run company who wanted to employ me to expand the business about 8 months ago, wage increase, better vehicle, better holidays etc, the owner did me a huge favour years ago so I decided to go for it and help him out. Had a nightmare 4 months, but it's working now and he leaves me to get on with running my part of the business successfully.
Previous employer have always been in touch as left without burning any bridges, and recently have offered me a lucrative contract to go back to them. Quite happy at the moment, weighed both options up and have decided to stay put.

Happens a lot Shirley?

Common place in my line of work. I was offered a job down south recently but didn’t really fancy the upheaval after considering personal circumstances. I also didn’t like the fact that they were pretty much offering me the job before interview or without even meeting me in person.

Had a company call me up out of the blue the other day asking me to attend an interview in Germany, all costs paid.
I'm not looking for a new job and haven't indicated to anyone any desire to move out of my current job.

Yes. In the late 80s. I was actually telephoned. But I quickly worked out that they were trying to contact my boss. Who was a twat. I strung them along for a bit and ruined his chances. He never knew.

As much as I call LinkedIn, I've been headhunted twice.
Last time would have been tempting if it hadn't been the same distance away from home. I'd like to be a lot closer than I am now.

There's various levels of 'headhunting' these days and it sort of depends on what your role is as to how I would view it.
I see traditional headhunting as similar to getting the ideal manager for your football club. Identify what you need, decide on your ideal candidate and go and offer them a package. This would normally be for board level or very technical jobs where only a handful of people can do it.
At the other end of the spectrum, I know someone who told me he'd been headhunted for a job as a van boy.:lol:

If it's the company directly contacting you then I would take it as a good sign. If it's an agency 'on behalf' of the company then I would proceed with caution.
That's not to say that you can't get a good job through an agency but in my experience they are a bunch of charlatans and will turn your head by offering the world but have no real intention of you getting a job, just hitting their targets. I've seen this from both sides of the fence.

No harm having a look at the job and a trip to Germany but don't go curling one out on your boss's desk just yet.;)

I get calls and emails from BVI and Cayman recruiters pretty much every week.

All they can bang on about is 0% tax / 8% tax. They can't seem to get it through their thick heads that having to pay for healthcare for my whole family and education for my son means I'll end up down.

Not that it matters. There isn't enough money in the world to drag me to some barren Caribbean island, with only tax-dodging expats for company, so I can finger the ill-gotten loot of our hateful overlords.

Oh but the weather, the weather, what about the weather?! I'm from Consett you chinless arse. Sunshine and sea-level bring me out in hives.

I was in Papua New Guinea, it was the summer of 1982, I had just trekked for 3 days through the jungle to meet the leader of the Bora Bundi tribe....................

You can guess the rest.

Back