Anyone ever been bitten by a spider?

Twice, both times by either a false widow or brown recluse, likely from my garden here in sunny SR6.

The first one caused me to get necrosis and an absolutely rank hole developed on the back of my hand following a blister forming and bursting. 5 years later I still have the scar. It took a massive dose of antibiotics to get it straight.

The second time was a couple of years ago, got the antibiotics straight away but not before I had some reaction to it any my back was covered in hives 3 days and then it disappeared

You 100% sure it wasn't poisonous ? has the missus bought bananas or owt ? anyone been abroad (and the bugger has hitched a ride back in the luggage?). I'd be tearing the house apart looking for the bugger, if it got a taste of your hand (and liked it) they might come back for another go ffs.
Looking for it? I'd be outside watching the flames.
These are the two possible culprits...

Dysdera Crocata

Scotophaeus Blackwalli

Due to unusually high populations of Dysdera my money is on her. Do you have a lot of deciduous matter in your garden? They love it. Where there are woodlice a dysdera is never far and they can instigate a painful bite as most gardeners will testify.

The Scotophaeus is on a rapid decline in northern England so if its a Scotophaeus that caused the bite I'd consider it a trophy wound.

Good point. I didn't think of the good old Tegenaria. It's fangs are handy tho like you say they've haven't got owt to back it up with.
Had one of them blackwalli's on the landing the other week. Disappeared before I could get our lass to evict it.

Last edited:
So I woke up on Monday morning at about 2am with a start, sweating, shivering, aching muscles. Went and laid down in the lounge and didn’t really get much sleep but at least I didn’t interrupt the other half too much.

fast forward to the next day, my knuckles have these two weird, itchy red marks and my hand seems a bit swollen, nowt too bad just irritating and itchy as.

Wednesday though...hand like the f***ing tango man :lol: the two little red marks are now blistery rock hard things oozing occasionally and I’m still feeling rough as buzzards nuts.

went to the docs today, and I figured I’d maybe brushed up against something my skin didn’t like and possibly had flu at the same time...but no. Some f***ing 8 legged bastard took chunks out of me and at the same time decided I deserved a good poisoning :lol:

anyone else ever had owt like this? I feel like James Bond, getting spidered and that in bed.
Are you dead yet?

I was bitten by one on my arm a couple of years ago while in the back garden (live in Oz). I flicked it off instinctively but wished i hadn't as i couldn't find it after that so had no idea what type it was. the bite left a mark and it swelled up a little but that was about it, so no harm done.

Yes on my knuckle as well. It was swollen for weeks until the chemist figured out it was a spider bite, they could make out two little holes. I started putting antiseptic cream on it and it went down quite quickly.

I always thought that our spiders couldn't bite (or at least couldn't break the skin) But a little bastard tattooed me on site trying to protect her egg sack. Still got the marks.

Back