Anyone ever applied for village green status?

DaveH

Striker
There is a big field near me (over half a mile round it) which got took over by the council a couple of years ago. Since then they rarely cut it which makes it into a bit of a wilderness. People can’t play ball games anymore and you see fewer people having picnics. Plenty of runners and dog walkers around the edges though.

People are saying the council want to reduce usage then sell it off for development.

Anyone ever been through the process of applying for village green status to stop developments?

West Park massive. Woop woop. :cool:

Would have been a travesty to lose it.
There is a big field near me (over half a mile round it) which got took over by the council a couple of years ago. Since then they rarely cut it which makes it into a bit of a wilderness. People can’t play ball games anymore and you see fewer people having picnics. Plenty of runners and dog walkers around the edges though.

People are saying the council want to reduce usage then sell it off for development.

Anyone ever been through the process of applying for village green status to stop developments?
Good luck with it mate.

No and you shouldn’t. Councils are under enough pressure with their funding without some cagoule wearing, guardian reading, dried apricot eating whingers making things more difficult. It’s grass, man up.

If I’m reading his post correctly, he is looking to preserve it as grass and to prevent future development. Village green status is a method of doing this.

Not wrong though. 'Green' status is intended to protect such land from development.

No wonder we can't build more houses with jobsworths like this.
There's plenty of spare land to go around tho daft get.
Nah, not really, but his celebrity did add to plight by the group who organised it.
The local M. P. had a lot to do with helping the cause too.
Personally thought it had nowt to with it really. Jordan's support that is.

A lad in the street asked the council if he could take his fence to the path as his boundary tapers off so there was a bit of wasteland that rarely gets cut.
They wanted something like £4000 for it, maybes a foot at the maximum width.
He just stuck his fence where the old one was.

I'm not sure if the council thought he might just do it anyway and sent someone to have a look, there was another house that must've taken land without permission as the fence came down and got put back to where it should be.
What has been left is an overgrown mess but at least they've got their land back.

He isn't what? West Park was saved for similar reasons. It's often a fight worth waging. I was offering him support and evidence that it can be done.
Cheers. Were you involved in the application process at all?
And having the local M. P. on their side helped too

Correct.
That is a very good point. The local MP lives (or at least did a bit ago) a few streets away from this place.

Last edited:
Cheers. Were you involved in the application process at all?

That is a very good point. The local MP lives (or at least did a bit ago) a few streets away from this place.
I signed the petition but there is where my involvement ended. :lol:

I did say I would chain myself to the front gate if required tho.

Back