Anyone ever applied for village green status?

Absolutely no infrastructure improvements.
Just plonk 400 new houses on GREEN BELT land when there are alternative options elsewhere

Each time I go round Washington, a lot of the industrial estates seem to have a lot of empty properties. You do wonder if cutting back on those, and concentrating them to fewer areas would free up a lot of land for housing development. The criss-cross of dual carriageways would likely be able to support the traffic far easier.

Plenty of available land for social housing. Pity there seems to be a lack of interest from government, builders and investors to build them.

I said this about the development at Chapelgarth. Whilst I’m not against it (it’s been planned for many years), there is swathes of land available all the way from Coles Cranes as far as Deptford as an example of suitable brownfield development land. when you look at the housing development plans, there should be a prioritisation of areas which are derelict or older housing stock over green spaces.
I also think that unless population growth isn’t stemmed, it’s inevitable we will need to eventually move into green belt areas.

I said this about the development at Chapelgarth. Whilst I’m not against it (it’s been planned for many years), there is swathes of land available all the way from Coles Cranes as far as Deptford as an example of suitable brownfield development land. when you look at the housing development plans, there should be a prioritisation of areas which are derelict or older housing stock over green spaces.
I also think that unless population growth isn’t stemmed, it’s inevitable we will need to eventually move into green belt areas.
It’s more expensive to build on brownfield sites.

It’s more expensive to build on brownfield sites.

I don’t dispute that. In the Instance above, what Sunderland needs at the moment is housing closer to the centre. Not Exec homes right on the periphery where the people living there are likely to leave via the A19/ A690 and not spend on the city.
I’d also suggest that housing along the river would be of a higher density, so more people per square metre which is more aligned with affordable housing.

I don’t dispute that. In the Instance above, what Sunderland needs at the moment is housing closer to the centre. Not Exec homes right on the periphery where the people living there are likely to leave via the A19/ A690 and not spend on the city.
I’d also suggest that housing along the river would be of a higher density, so more people per square metre which is more aligned with affordable housing.
Sorry I didn’t intend to disagree it was more of a general comment.

Is there still loads of open land in pennywell?

As an example:

400 new houses with 2 or 3 cars each.
Have you seen the rush hour traffic on Chester Road & Shiney roundabout currently (outside of lockdown)?

Absolutely no infrastructure improvements.
Just plonk 400 new houses on GREEN BELT land when there are alternative options elsewhere
You’re on about somewhere completely different to the op. The op isn’t suggesting the London elite are buying holiday homes in Penshaw :lol:

Last edited:
It's ok saying 30 houses, but it's not. It's 300 or 400 or 600 with minimal investment in the infrastructure. No new roads so the ones already congested become more so. No new schools, doctors, dentists, shops....

This is what has happened round ours. They built over the other side of the village and have built loads in surrounding villages but haven't increased any services. It's even harder to get a doctor or dentist appointment now and the schools are over subscribed. My friend has two primary schools within walking distance and another just over a mile away. Her bairn didn't get into any of them and is at a school four miles away. She has to drive the bairn to school adding to traffic congestion, and the bairn is struggling making friends as a number of the others in the class live near each other, so they play together out of school.

The field they built on had a playground and a football pitch with goalposts, so plenty of space to kick a ball about freely and generally run around letting off steam. Now it's gone, "antisocial behaviour" has increased with bairns kicking balls round streets and hitting cars etc. There's a pub on the edge of the field. They have picnic tables so it was a good social hub on fine days with parents having a drink and a natter while the bairns played on the field. That was big loss to the community IMO.

there's plenty of houses about for people to live in. the problem is nobody wants to live in them in the areas they're at.
this building on green belt land and ruining separation between villages is nothing more than a scandal led by the housebuilders who no doubt imo go to the same lodges/swingers parties/play golf as those who grant permission.
it's just another example of people being pressured into getting into loads of debt just to keep up with the jones'. like everything else nowadays. it's the same with cars and having the latest mobile phone that costs a grand ffs.

And every square inch of it will have some NIMBY fucker ready to get their Sun Life free gift out and start scribbling letters to the council.
Very possibly. Suppose you'd have to deal with each case on its merits. Some things are clearly worth fighting for otherwise all appeals would be rejected at the first hurdle.

Can't imagine there'd be too much resistance if developers wanted to build where the old police station is up at Farra for instance. Prime land about a mile from West Park and currently just a vandalised wreck.

And every square inch of it will have some NIMBY fucker ready to get their Sun Life free gift out and start scribbling letters to the council.
Exactly. People moan all the time about the housing in this country but nobody wants new homes when they’re proposed. all that’s happened here is the council haven’t cut the grass and this lad is shitting himself incase people of a lower class move near him.

Exactly. People moan all the time about the housing in this country but nobody wants new homes when they’re proposed. all that’s happened here is the council haven’t cut the grass and this lad is shitting himself incase people of a lower class move near him.
Notice you haven't given a reasonable reply to either @Bec or my posts about lack of infrastructure with these new developments?
Just chuck a load of new-builds up for a tick in the box without any real long term planning

Notice you haven't given a reasonable reply to either @Bec or my posts about lack of infrastructure with these new developments?
Just chuck a load of new-builds up for a tick in the box without any real long term planning
Because the thread isn’t about that subject or you for that matter. Go back to the op and read again. You’ve misunderstood the thread and gone off on a tangent.

Lovely enclosed grass field lined with mature trees where families can safely play and walk their dogs or a bunch of executive homes probably priced between 300 to 500 grand a pop. Wasn't a tough choice really.
Nee **** ever used it man, the. All of a sudden there were photos all over Facebook family gatherings, picnics, rounders etc.

Now they’ve won its back to a dogs toilet!

Had the biggest kicking off my life from my dad after a visit there as a bairn, had a bonfire up there and burnt the fuck out my new pumas and shell suit!

On the plus side I did find a Pepsi and Shirley smut mag in the bushes behind the bus stop once.

Nee **** ever used it man, the. All of a sudden there were photos all over Facebook family gatherings, picnics, rounders etc.

Now they’ve won its back to a dogs toilet!

Had the biggest kicking off my life from my dad after a visit there as a bairn, had a bonfire up there and burnt the fuck out my new pumas and shell suit!

On the plus side I did find a Pepsi and Shirley smut mag in the bushes behind the bus stop once.
There's people in it all the time man ye silly sausage. When were you last in?

Back