Anyone ever applied for village green status?

Nee **** ever used it man, the. All of a sudden there were photos all over Facebook family gatherings, picnics, rounders etc.

Now they’ve won its back to a dogs toilet!

Had the biggest kicking off my life from my dad after a visit there as a bairn, had a bonfire up there and burnt the fuck out my new pumas and shell suit!

On the plus side I did find a Pepsi and Shirley smut mag in the bushes behind the bus stop once.

:lol: Can’t beat a bit of hedgerow grumble.

There's people in it all the time man ye silly sausage. When were you last in?
Aye, dog walkers and shitting dogs! Never seen a picnic blanket ever!

Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t want houses on any of the green land around the area, but to claim it was some sort of hub of family activity was a little misleading during the campaign.

Aye, dog walkers and shitting dogs! Never seen a picnic blanket ever!

Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t want houses on any of the green land around the area, but to claim it was some sort of hub of family activity was a little misleading during the campaign.
How dare you question the credibility of the campaign. :lol:

Tbf it is being used a lot more since but that's probably down to the weather and current circumstances. It's a cracking space mind and should be used for more social events and whatnot but the same locals would then complain about the noise and that. 🤦

Because the thread isn’t about that subject or you for that matter. Go back to the op and read again. You’ve misunderstood the thread and gone off on a tangent.
The thread is about development on green spaces.
You appear to favour this practice regardless of alternative options and implications to the wider community. @becs and myself provided examples.
You haven't provided justification for greenbelt land being used when other options exist or acknowledged the issues it causes.
I really don't think it's me that has misunderstood the thread at all.

The thread is about development on green spaces.
You appear to favour this practice regardless of alternative options and implications to the wider community. @becs and myself provided examples.
You haven't provided justification for greenbelt land being used when other options exist or acknowledged the issues it causes.
I really don't think it's me that has misunderstood the thread at all.
You know absolutely nothing about it. The lad has provided a suspicion and has then made up a scenario in his head. The place might be an absolute dump for all you know.

You’re on about somewhere completely different to the op. The op isn’t suggesting the London elite are buying holiday homes in Penshaw :lol:
I think only a fool would suggest Londoners are buying holiday homes anywhere in Sunderland. Sensible people may suggest they’re retiring to the NE. Every time I go back up there me mas introducing me to a new SE accent living round the corner. ITS now at the frequency that eventually I’m gonna know them.......which I’m not keen on. Don’t need stories of my doings down here circulating up there for starters.

Back on the original question: the locals in Fulwell/Seaburn Dene managed to block a planned development last year by getting a bit of green space next to Fulwell Methodist church classified as a village green. Reading this, it may be that a technicality helped them, but they certainly used a lot of survey responses from locals who’ve long used that space for dog-walking etc. (And who added a bit of pre-dog-shit-bag peril to many a kick around when I was a kid...) Sunderland gets new village green after planning blunder paves the way for protecting open space

Not sure if that helps given the restrictions already around the field in London, but you could always contact them as part of the Mackem diaspora. The folk who run Fulwell Community Library May have contacts to share via FB...

I DaveH as the creator and therefor holder of some sort of divine right of Lordship over this discussion, hereby grant Freedom Of Speech to all people who wish to comment on this thread about general green space in urban areas, how this is reflected in development plans and any other tangent that may crop up, such as what you are having for lunch - especially if you are taking it to a local green space for a picnic.

I would personally like to thank those who are contributing to an interesting discussion in general and especially those who have offered good advice on my original question. I'm glad that almost all of you can see the reason for the question is to be proactive, as it seems that if you try to do these things in a reactive capacity then it is too late.

Yours

Rev. DaveH

Village Green status is a specific designation that you can apply for if you can demonstrate that the land has been used by the public 'as of right' for sports and pastimes for a period of 20(?) years i.e. It is implied that the public can use it due to a lack of fences/signage prohibiting public access.

If you have had as of right access you need to provide proof as to the type and frequency of activities that the land has been used.

If the council have acquired it with genuine aspirations to develop it I'd be surprised if they haven't covered themselves by erecting signage.

Also, if the site has been identified for development in an emerging local development plan you can't apply for Village Green status.

Very good advice. I did a little bit of donkey work for West Park, delivering questionnaires, but there were three people coordinating the campaign who made a huge commitment. The main thrust of what you need is evidence although that can take the form of personal statements.

What helped energise local support was the real threat of development. If that's not on the table then you might be fighting against apathy.

These folk who want green spaces but bemoan the lack of affordable housing (presumably for their children) where do you propose the homes go? There’s only so much viable brownfield land and it isn’t always in a place anyone would reasonably want to live.

These folk who want green spaces but bemoan the lack of affordable housing (presumably for their children) where do you propose the homes go? There’s only so much viable brownfield land and it isn’t always in a place anyone would reasonably want to live.
I feel that towns should be more spaced out with green spaces (designed to also support wildlife too). The population is increasing so the choices are to build outwards (or new towns) or to fill in the gaps. When you fill in the gaps you reduce the places for children to play, people to run and do other sports, or have a nice walk where you can let a dog off a lead to run with other dogs or chase a ball. If you have wall to wall concrete and tarmac for miles, then everyone is pinned to paths. Building outwards you can incorporate this.

I remember staying in central London for a week on a course. After a few days I was desperate to get out somewhere green but found there was nowhere in easy walking distance and I'd have to get a tube (though once you get there, the London parks are impressive for City parks). Imagine a world where children don't get to run and cycle in a green open space on a regular basis? All they see is tarmac. It feels like a pretty sad one to me.

I presumed that was the problem. It’s all well and good talking about brownfield development but the builds will be far more attractive if built on green periphery space. Shit for the countryside like.

Got no problem with them building on areas where other buildings were, like in my area some houses are being built on an old secondary school site and some on old industrial land near here.

Can't understand the logic in selling off a well used recreation field in the middle of an established village, especially when there is so much bad press about child obesity and mental health issues. A safe space to play out in is very beneficial to keeping children active, and the benefits of ecotherapy are good to keep mental health problems at bay. We seem to be going backwards now by removing the green open spaces than benefit society by building on them and causing problems for the people who already live there.

Got no problem with them building on areas where other buildings were, like in my area some houses are being built on an old secondary school site and some on old industrial land near here.

Can't understand the logic in selling off a well used recreation field in the middle of an established village, especially when there is so much bad press about child obesity and mental health issues. A safe space to play out in is very beneficial to keeping children active, and the benefits of ecotherapy are good to keep mental health problems at bay. We seem to be going backwards now by removing the green open spaces than benefit society by building on them and causing problems for the people who already live there.

Do kids get a ball go out and have a kick about for hours these days?

Do kids get a ball go out and have a kick about for hours these days?

Yes - one of the ladies in the group we set up lived on the edge of the green. She kept noting down how many people were on the field at random times. There were bairns playing on it most of the time after school and during the school holidays.

Durham CC sent someone up to do one survey on a cold overcast school day and then claimed the field was not being used as nobody was on it 🤦‍♀️

My daughter would be out playing now if she was allowed to be out. That's one of the things she's finding hard to cope with under lockdown.

Last edited by a moderator:

This. With the current situation, I have seen the field used more than ever. It gets to be a bit annoying walking the dog, but great to see the place being used so much.

Back