Anyone done a sailing holiday in a Flotilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

YES!!

2012 and there were 10 of us, sailed round the Ionian islands for 3 weeks and it was one of the best holidays I've ever been on.

Went with sailing holidays http://www.sailingholidays.com/

Conditions were great, slept up on the top of the boat under the stars as it was a little cooler.

Highly recommend it.

we are looking at going with sailing holidays too as the wife does work with the business. just one week around kefalonia and ithaca and then a week on land on Lefkas

7 of us on one boat (2 families)

missus getting all the pricing today. tempted to do a sailing course although they say no experinece necessary

we are looking at going with sailing holidays too as the wife does work with the business. just one week around kefalonia and ithaca and then a week on land on Lefkas

7 of us on one boat (2 families)

missus getting all the pricing today. tempted to do a sailing course although they say no experinece necessary

They do the courses when you get there, really good time, I personally loved it and those islands and Greece is fantastic.

It was first time as well and it's a lot of fun.

Makes me want to do another one.

loooking at booking one around the greek islands for next year.

expect cramped condition on the boat but I see it just as somewhere to kip.

how did you get on. know a few people who have done them and they have loved them
Aren’t they supposed to be a bit dodgy because of pirates? I seem to remember a while sick that gangs were hijacking families on sailing holidays, saw them as easy pickings.

Aren’t they supposed to be a bit dodgy because of pirates? I seem to remember a while sick that gangs were hijacking families on sailing holidays, saw them as easy pickings.

round greek islands not the edge of somalia or indonesia

in a flotilla of 10-12 boats too

round greek islands not the edge of somalia or indonesia

in a flotilla of 10-12 boats too
Aye, this was the med they were on about.

I might have imagined it but just in case I haven’t....RIP Epps

its alright.. wont be until next July.. I'll have someone ride shotgun... be like Captain Phillips
Good lad, I’d hate to see you come a cropper like.

Have you found out anything about costs yet?

yep. not the island we wanted originally but had to take what they had left. if it all works out I'll be on a two week one next year.

When we went they teach everyone how do the sailing part with the ropes and sail etc, it was so calm and lush that we didn't have any wind and used the motor for the full 3 weeks.

Was a cracking holiday! Hope you have a great time

When we went they teach everyone how do the sailing part with the ropes and sail etc, it was so calm and lush that we didn't have any wind and used the motor for the full 3 weeks.

Was a cracking holiday! Hope you have a great time

yep. we dont have much sailing experience at all other than adinghy or two

if I get a chance I might go on official course as then you can just rent a boat for a week and go to your own itinery

Did one a few years back , with Sunsail, around the Ionians'. Brilliant holiday.

The flotilla concept is great. With Sunsail you start off each day from the previous days destination and are free to go where you like within a set boundary. small islands and inlets for lunch and swimming off the boat.

You have to be at the destination by a set time, before it gets dark, around 18:00 (6pm to landlubbers). you meet up with the flotilla leader/rep. You are free to go eat and drink anywhere but you usually end up with all the other crews and party every night. Enjoy the fun of parking stern in at a greek quayside

Destination/ports are small out of the way fishing villages or main island towns. the main towns have the usual touristy stuff but the small fishing villages are fantastic as the flotilla are the only tourist they see each week or two and will lay on the usual greek stuff ( smashing plate and dancing)( bit like Newcastle quays side but civilised) food and beer was dead cheap too

the last night we did all te boats went to a desserted island and rafted all the boats together at anchor and had boozy beach party/BBQ

Then a race back to the home port the next day.

Sailing is a little sparotic. As with most hot coastal places it windy in the early mornings and late afternoons. 11:00 14:00 on engine (fuel provided)

They do teach sailing firts day but to me that is like hiring a car and asking Avis to teach you to drive. To get the most out of it learn to sail and handle a boat especially when things go wrong or the wind increases to gale force in a matter of minutes and stops 15 minutes later as it did with us...... exciting to say the least.

downside

Boats are cramp by nature so i'd recomend 4 people in a 5 -6 berth. 7 in an 8 Boats are hot day and night so if you don't like fresh air... Boat bob about on the water so drunken unbalance is exaggerated asis the hangover the next morning.

Just do it! and enjoy

PS if you want some one who can sail to go with you give me a shout :)

Last edited:
Did one a few years back , with Sunsail, around the Ionians'. Brilliant holiday.

The flotilla concept is great. With Sunsail you start off each day from the previous days destination and are free to go where you like within a set boundary. small islands and inlets for lunch and swimming off the boat.

You have to be at the destination by a set time, before it gets dark, around 18:00 (6pm to landlubbers). you meet up with the flotilla leader/rep you are free to go eat and drink anywhere but you usually end up with all the other crews and party every night. Enjoy the fun of parking stern in at a greek quayside

destination/ports are small out of the way fishing villages or main island towns. the main towns have the usual touristy stuff but the small fishing villages are fantastic as the flotilla are the only tourist they see each week or two and will lay on the usual greek stuff ( smashing plate and dancing)( bit like Newcastle quays side but civilised) food and beer was dead cheap too

the last night we did all te boats went to a deseerted island and rafted all the boats together at anchor and had boozy beach party

Then a race back to the home port the next day.

Sailing is a little sparotic. As with most hot coastal places it windy in the early mornings and late afternoons. 11:00 14:00 on engine (fuel provided)

they do teach sailing firts day but to me that is like hiring a car and asking Avis to teach you to drive. to get the most out of it learn to sail and handle a boat especially when things go wrong or the wind increases to gale force in a matte of minutes and stops 15 minutes later as it did with us.

downside

Boats are cramp by nature so i'd recomend 4 people in a 5 -6 berth. 7 in an 8 Boats are hot day and night so if you don't like fresh air... Boat bob about on the water so drunken unbalance is exaggerated asis the hangover the next morning.

Just do it! and enjoy

PS if you want some one who can sail to go with you give me a shout :)

all booked and sorted.

4 adults and 3 under 18's in a 8 berth boat. will be fine but its only somewhere to lay your head at the end fo the day

My Grandad did. He said it was canny to begin with, but then they dropped him off at Sword Beach and it got worse from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back