Anyone do the 5:2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that's 2 starve days done - finding it very easy, which is surprising me. Small hunger pangs later in the day, but I'm also using it as my "early night" night of the week as I always end up shattered by the end of the week, so it all fits.

Possibly a bit of dehydration, but lost 6lbs in a week.
Definitely loss of fluid and not weiget loss. A pound a week is a decent loss. Then just eat more on other days once you are down to what you want to be. I'm on one day a week now. For health rather than weight loss.

Reactions: PTR

Definitely loss of fluid and not weiget loss. A pound a week is a decent loss. Then just eat more on other days once you are down to what you want to be. I'm on one day a week now. For health rather than weight loss.
I completely assumed it would be mostly liquid even though I was drinking as much as I could. I have tea, juice, coffee on the go all day at work.

On my 3rd starve day today. Had my porridge (190 cals) earlier, and have a ham salad at 180 cals for lunch. Means I can have a reasonable tea.
tbh, its not that hard. Its totally different to a diet, where you know you have to do it every single day.

I completely assumed it would be mostly liquid even though I was drinking as much as I could. I have tea, juice, coffee on the go all day at work.

On my 3rd starve day today. Had my porridge (190 cals) earlier, and have a ham salad at 180 cals for lunch. Means I can have a reasonable tea.
tbh, its not that hard. Its totally different to a diet, where you know you have to do it every single day.
I have nothing at all until 7 on a starve day. You soon get used to it.

3rd starve day done - tbh, it wasn't too bad again.
Its handy that I don't like eating on a morning, so I'm not starving when I wake up and can wait till I get into work to eat something.

Wuoldn't I have put that water weight back on by now? Still 7 lbs down on starting weight.

3rd starve day done - tbh, it wasn't too bad again.
Its handy that I don't like eating on a morning, so I'm not starving when I wake up and can wait till I get into work to eat something.

Wuoldn't I have put that water weight back on by now? Still 7 lbs down on starting weight.

If you're carrying a bit of weight, you're going to lose some quickly at first if you're eating less. You're going to have needed roughly a 25,000 calorie deficit over a week to lose that much though. Maybe you had consumed quite a lot before your first weigh in?

If you're carrying a bit of weight, you're going to lose some quickly at first if you're eating less. You're going to have needed roughly a 25,000 calorie deficit over a week to lose that much though. Maybe you had consumed quite a lot before your first weigh in?
That weight had been same for a few weeks. A pound or two lower, actually as I'd been thinking about starting a diet

7 weeks in - although I had 1 week off entirely when I went to a festival, so 6 weeks of 5:2

11 pounds lost (yes, it did go up a bit after the first week - water, as suspected)

I don't find it too hard tbh. Its not great, but its the easiest "diet" I've ever done.
8 weeks till holidays - hoping for another 10-14 pounds.

Plus, for 6 of those 7 weeks I was injured (shoulder and ankle) and going through physio, so I haven't been the gym until this week. Hoping to scale that up to 5 days a week with cardio only on the extra 2 days and cutting the cardio out of the other 3 (shorter sessions, get home sooner)

Pointless and unsustainable, others might disagree.
Its the most sustainable diet I've ever tried. It lasts one day, then you go back to normal. There's always light at the end of the tunnel.
Then once you hit your target, you can drop to 6:1 to maintain it.

Last edited:
Its the most sustainable diet I've ever tried. It lasts one day, then you go back to normal. There's always light at the end of the tunnel.
Then once you hit your target, you can drop to 6:1 to maintain it.

Sounds faddy to me, glad it's working for you though.

I watched the documentary again yesterday and have re-read the book today.

The thing that interests me the most, tbh, about this diet is the long term health benefits rather than the weight loss, which is really a side effect.

At 40 now with two young kids I'm keen to live as long as I can, as healthily as I can and anything that is shown to increase my "healthy lifespan" can only be a good thing. Lowering cancer risk and dementia risk is top, with weight loss a benefit.

I'm thinking of starting this on Monday. Any tips appreciated.

Also, Mr B is hopefully joining me, but will probably find it harder as he's obviously still working. Can this be any 24 hour period, or is it only a "calendar day"? Thinking of starting doing 9-9 for instance and going from there.

Tips welcome!

I watched the documentary again yesterday and have re-read the book today.

The thing that interests me the most, tbh, about this diet is the long term health benefits rather than the weight loss, which is really a side effect.

At 40 now with two young kids I'm keen to live as long as I can, as healthily as I can and anything that is shown to increase my "healthy lifespan" can only be a good thing. Lowering cancer risk and dementia risk is top, with weight loss a benefit.

I'm thinking of starting this on Monday. Any tips appreciated.

Also, Mr B is hopefully joining me, but will probably find it harder as he's obviously still working. Can this be any 24 hour period, or is it only a "calendar day"? Thinking of starting doing 9-9 for instance and going from there.

Tips welcome!
HB. I am having a starve day today. Nothing but tea and water until 7 then lean chicken and loads of greens for tea. Soaked Alpen (cannot be arsed getting proper healthy muesli) for something sweet before I turn in.

Protein and greens are my main foods when fasting. After 2 months you will know exactly how your body adjusts.

Tomorrow's breakfast will be lovely. eggy bread tastes fantastic.

As for dementia, they reckon learning a new motor skill keeps your brain active. I took up acoustic guitar over two years ago. I was amazed I kept it up but I love it.

My main exercise is swimming. Not for weight loss, it just keeps everything nice and firm:lol:

I feel younger now at 55 than I did 15 years ago. That might be because the bairn is an independent adult!

HB. I am having a starve day today. Nothing but tea and water until 7 then lean chicken and loads of greens for tea. Soaked Alpen (cannot be arsed getting proper healthy muesli) for something sweet before I turn in.

Protein and greens are my main foods when fasting. After 2 months you will know exactly how your body adjusts.

As for dementia, they reckon learning a new motor skill keeps your brain active. I took up acoustic guitar over two years ago. I was amazed I kept it up but I love it.

My main exercise is swimming. Not for weight loss, it just keeps everything nice and firm:lol:

I feel younger now at 55 than I did 15 years ago. That might be because the bairn is an independent adult!
Are you doing the starve from evening meal to evening meal then?

I struggled badly on my last starve. Didn't get my breakfast till after 11, by which time I didn't fancy making porridge. So had a belvitta biscuit thing - then home made tomato soup at 2pm.
By 3pm I was ready to drop, went home and ate the whole house.

Combination of being too tired and missing a better type of food for breakfast I think. I'll make sure I get the porridge nice and early in future. 200cals x3 seems to work. Any less and its curtains for me.

Not losing weight at the moment, still at the same I have been for the last 2 weeks. Mind, I have been eating quite a lot of shite recently, and I'm back to weight training at the gym, which usually puts weight on.
I do think I'm losing fat, though. Just belt tightness as a guide.

Are you doing the starve from evening meal to evening meal then?

I struggled badly on my last starve. Didn't get my breakfast till after 11, by which time I didn't fancy making porridge. So had a belvitta biscuit thing - then home made tomato soup at 2pm.
By 3pm I was ready to drop, went home and ate the whole house.

Combination of being too tired and missing a better type of food for breakfast I think. I'll make sure I get the porridge nice and early in future. 200cals x3 seems to work. Any less and its curtains for me.

Not losing weight at the moment, still at the same I have been for the last 2 weeks. Mind, I have been eating quite a lot of shite recently, and I'm back to weight training at the gym, which usually puts weight on.
I do think I'm losing fat, though. Just belt tightness as a guide.

I eat nothing from going to bed until following evening. It doesn't really bother me other than being a little bit hungry now and then.

I don't have a physical job but do go swimming on a starve day evening.

I eat nothing from going to bed until following evening. It doesn't really bother me other than being a little bit hungry now and then.

I don't have a physical job but do go swimming on a starve day evening.
Does it work for you?

I've seen a few posts on other forums that say this isn't the intended starve period, and that the plan was developed to be from evening meal on day 1 until breakfast on day 3.
i.e. you replace you entire Day 2 calorie intake to just 600, with Day 1 and Day 3 being normal

Does it work for you?

I've seen a few posts on other forums that say this isn't the intended starve period, and that the plan was developed to be from evening meal on day 1 until breakfast on day 3.
i.e. you replace you entire Day 2 calorie intake to just 600, with Day 1 and Day 3 being normal

that's what I do. I just have my 600 calories in the evening.

Reactions: PTR

Ta Harry. Started fast day today and am getting quite hungry now (had a cuppa for breakfast and one now but only water otherwise). Have a veggie red curry in the pipeline for tonight.

Have to say sitting around the house isn't great for hunger, it I'll be going out to a baby class in half an hour then to the shops so hopefully the day will go faster! Not sure how Mr HB will fare at work, although he had breakfast and is doing a 9-9 type fast instead I think to ease himself in slowly.

Good shout on eggy bread tomorrow anarl!

Let you know how I get on in the long run.

Does it work for you?

I was reading up on it as Mr HB wants to do it differently as he says he'll struggle to eat nowt at work all day, and I can understand that. But the general consensus seemed to be it should really be a 36 hour fast with 600 cals during a full calendar day to get the full benefit.

Do you just do 6:1 now?

Last edited:
Ah, that's the bit I was missing - I was assuming you went back to "normal" meals - which I would assume would be more usually. I understand now :)

Is it working for you long term? I've lost about 7-8 pounds in the last 4-5 weeks, although I've had one week off and missed a day last week.

One problem I'm finding is that I train Mon-Wed-Fri and I starve Tue-Thur. But after the gym, I'm absolutely starving and I can't eat enough - so when I wake up, I'm hungry already - which I'm not used to, I'm usually fine till about 11am.

I was reading up on it as Mr HB wants to do it differently as he says he'll struggle to eat nowt at work all day, and I can understand that. But the general consensus seemed to be it should really be a 36 hour fast with 600 cals during a full calendar day to get the full benefit.
Definitely a case of finding something that works for your own body and schedule.

I split my 600 cals into 3 meals.
Porridge for breakfast - those pots you can buy are about 180, which is fine
Then something like a salad or soup for lunch. I'm usually at about 150 cals, but should consider adding something to bulk it up so that I don't get too hungry
For tea I tend to have whatever the wife has made, but I take the carbs out (rice, pasta, potato) and if needed, I have a smaller portion.

And I try to make the 2 days my early nights to catch up on sleep - then its less uncomfortable if I'm hungry.

Last edited:
Ta Harry. Started fast day today and am getting quite hungry now (had a cuppa for breakfast and one now but only water otherwise). Have a veggie red curry in the pipeline for tonight.

Have to say sitting around the house isn't great for hunger, it I'll be going out to a baby class in half an hour then to the shops so hopefully the day will go faster! Not sure how Mr HB will fare at work, although he had breakfast and is doing a 9-9 type fast instead I think to ease himself in slowly.

Good shout on eggy bread tomorrow anarl!

Let you know how I get on in the long run.

I think that is the worst place to be!!! too many nice snacks to be tempted with.

It takes a few weeks to get into the swing of it but it eventually becomes part of what you do. You realise that you can skip eating for a few hours without keeling over.

Ah, that's the bit I was missing - I was assuming you went back to "normal" meals - which I would assume would be more usually. I understand now :)

Is it working for you long term? I've lost about 7-8 pounds in the last 4-5 weeks, although I've had one week off and missed a day last week.

One problem I'm finding is that I train Mon-Wed-Fri and I starve Tue-Thur. But after the gym, I'm absolutely starving and I can't eat enough - so when I wake up, I'm hungry already - which I'm not used to, I'm usually fine till about 11am.

I am not doing it for weight loss but for general health and feeling of well being. However, if I need to lose a couple of pounds, I just ass a day. I'm only doing one day a week now.

Last edited:
I am not doing it for weight loss but for general health and feeling of well being. However, if I need to lose a couple of pounds, I just ass a day. I'm only doing one day a week now.
Aye, I've heard sex is good for weight loss. Although a full day of anal might be a bit much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back