Anyone been to a Marseille game?

Montpellier is a great city too. Edgy as fuck at night time though.

I must say that I love Montpellier and have never felt any edge there at all. A beautiful, historic city with great bars and restaurants in the main square.

Marseilles, on the other hand, has a small attractive part to it around the marina/port, but on the whole is one of the scariest cities in Europe, with a huge North African influence.

It looks bad, even from the train.

I must say that I love Montpellier and have never felt any edge there at all. A beautiful, historic city with great bars and restaurants in the main square.

Marseilles, on the other hand, has a small attractive part to it around the marina/port, but on the whole is one of the scariest cities in Europe, with a huge North African influence.

It looks bad, even from the train.

Yeah it's certainly beautiful. As for the edginess, I think we stayed in the cheapest hotel in the city right near the train station. That probably gave me a slightly distorted perspective.

I saw them against Chelsea in a Champions League game several years ago. It was before the ground was redeveloped - they created a great atmosphere during the game. Less appealing was dodging bottles and bricks after the game ended.

The city itself is 'interesting' - one of the shiftiest places I've ever been to.

Port area was nice and I did have a delicious Bouillabaisse so not all bad.

Yeah it's certainly beautiful. As for the edginess, I think we stayed in the cheapest hotel in the city right near the train station. That probably gave me a slightly distorted perspective.

Although most French Train stations are iconic landmarks, unfortunately, all of them also attract the boguns of society and can be scarey places to be around when alone.

I don’t know if this has been discussed in other threads but I couldn’t find anything.

Has anyone been to the Velodrome for a Marseille game? A few will have been for the Euros but for a Marseille game are there any features at their games, or possible French football, that you’d like to see KLD bring to the SOL?
The time I went, the fans went on strike. They refused to cheer their team, even when they scored (twice)! They also had enormous banners across the stands behind each goal. I remember one of them read: "Millionaires off the pitch, tramps on it".
Add to this the fact that the stand along one side of the pitch was a massive building site with cranes and scaffolding, it can safely be concuded that my experience of football at the Vélodrome was a unique one.
There's no doubting Marseille, St Étienne and Lens fans as the most passionate in the country but I think OM fans take it to the highest level. If KLD brings that passion to his venture with us, he will fit right in.

Back