Any vids of Majas hatrick ?

2 goals in 13 appearances before last night where he bagged 3 against the 2nd bottom team in the league to take him to 5 in 14. He’s hardly setting Ligue 1 alight is he?

Couldn’t give a flying fuck how he’s getting on to be honest, move on, he’s gone!
Hes mostly been on the bench for them until very recently mind. Glad that the ksd is doing Ok.

I take your point, Coeus, la. But this is all judged after the event. You may have been right to hold a certain opinion at the time, you may not. It's not clear that a decision is good or bad until after the event. Much luck is involved, especially in football, where so much turns on a single scoring point (i.e. a goal, ha, ha) c.f. pretty much all other sports, in which many scoring points are the norm. It's a fragile, fragile business. Did anyone think Maja would turn out so well & Grigg so poor? Maybe, maybe not, but I suspect not many, if we're being truthful with ourselves. You may ascribe much of this to judgement & you might be right. I ascribe most of it to luck & I might be wrong. In the unlikely event anything else occurs to me, I'll come back to you.

Definitely understand what you're saying, I just look at it with different parameters. People have to be judged in hindsight, it is the only way but their actual job is to have good foresight.

This isn't a case of Grigg got injured for 8 months so in hindsight we were probably wrong, its a case of not rating someone enough to pay them 15k, costing the club a fortune on a player who lost 3/4 of his sale value the moment he signed and then continuing to pay Leadbetter and McGeady the same and more than that a week when they do not affect the game anywhere near how he did and have 0 resale value.

I don't think the intentions were bad, the foresight was shocking, imo there iirc.

It wouldn't be so bad.... well it would be but we all make mistakes, no problem. He suggested that it was possible he made a mistake, great, he has shown absolutely nothing to show he has learned anything from it.

Pace, movement and a predatory finish. It looks like those eG stats from early last season were right...his goals masked the fact that we were a pretty ordinary side. Sadly we still are.

The takeaway from that whole thread was that we created too few good goalscoring chances ourselves and allowed too many good goalscoring chances against us.

We were therefore over achieving because of Maja's goalscoring average being one in two and the excellent goalkeeping by our keeper that stopped us shipping goals.

Turned out the stats nerds were absolutely bang on.

Definitely understand what you're saying, I just look at it with different parameters. People have to be judged in hindsight, it is the only way but their actual job is to have good foresight.

This isn't a case of Grigg got injured for 8 months so in hindsight we were probably wrong, its a case of not rating someone enough to pay them 15k, costing the club a fortune on a player who lost 3/4 of his sale value the moment he signed and then continuing to pay Leadbetter and McGeady the same and more than that a week when they do not affect the game anywhere near how he did and have 0 resale value.

I don't think the intentions were bad, the foresight was shocking, imo there iirc.

It wouldn't be so bad.... well it would be but we all make mistakes, no problem. He suggested that it was possible he made a mistake, great, he has shown absolutely nothing to show he has learned anything from it.
Your final phrase carries the most weight, for me. Making mistakes is part & parcel of life, irrespective of the field of endeavour, thus forgivable & in fact, to be encouraged. Failing to learn from those mistakes is another matter entirely.

Rhetorical question: how can one club fail to learn from its mistakes so consistently despite many different owners & people in positions of influence over many years?

Last edited:
Your final phrase carries the most weight, for me. Making mistakes is part & parcel of life, irrespective of the field of endeavour, thus forgivable & in fact, to be encouraged. Failing to learn from those mistakes is another matter entirely.

Rhetorical question: how can one club fail to learn from its mistakes so consistently despite many different owners & people in positions of influence over many years?

I know it was rhetorical but I can't help myself, sorry.

If they were learning with the correct goal in mind, I would be forgiving. I believe their intention is promotion above all which even if they do succeed, it will land us no further forward in the grande scheme.

Until whoever is in charge realises that the goal shouldn't be purely this season orientated, we will continue to flounder.

I know it was rhetorical but I can't help myself, sorry.

If they were learning with the correct goal in mind, I would be forgiving. I believe their intention is promotion above all which even if they do succeed, it will land us no further forward in the grande scheme.

Until whoever is in charge realises that the goal shouldn't be purely this season orientated, we will continue to flounder.
If fans bought into this idea, it might make it easier to implement. I agree with you, in principle. Sadly (and I find it truly sad), society in this country (and others, but for the minute let's concentrate on this one) demands instant gratification in most aspects of life, including football. Like a petulant child, it kicks & screams if it doesn't get it. That is the practical difficulty you face in trying to implement long term change.

If fans bought into this idea, it might make it easier to implement. I agree with you, in principle. Sadly (and I find it truly sad), society in this country (and others, but for the minute let's concentrate on this one) demands instant gratification in most aspects of life, including football. Like a petulant child, it kicks & screams if it doesn't get it. That is the practical difficulty you face in trying to implement long term change.

Again, I completely understand that but the fans have been given 0 to believe in a different way of thinking. You can't blame the fans for a shit strategy just because at one point in time they might of thought it was a good idea as well.

By signing Will Grigg for a record in this league they decimated any other way of doing things, it signified far more than just a very bad signing. It showed some fans that it is ok to kick and scream when we aren't spending way above our means. It showed clubs that they should indeed charge a "Sunderland" tax.

If they truly incorporated a scaled-down Dortmund model instead of using a throwaway comment, communicated exactly what they were hoping to accomplish and how, along with the time they foresaw it taking and what the process should be judged on, at the very least you wouldn't have dickheads like me sticking the boot in at every opportunity.

Failing that, rely upon optimization instead of inspiration. R.B Leipzig didn't factor their fans' thoughts into their strategy.

aye you’re reading it wrong. Looks like he’s only started the last 3 and the rest of the games he’s coming on which is why there’s a time under the green arrow. Against Lyon he played 4 mins against Amiens he played 1 min etc. He injured his cruciate last season and has been coming back which is why he wasn’t involved more early on (I’m presuming)
Tilted my phone and now can see that last column! Doh!

This ...

And team mates confident enough in his ability to give him the pass in such a tight area with defenders both sides.
Makes such a difference.
Said a million times the lads first touch is what makes nearly all his goals
You can also see from all of the vids the benefit of having a player through the middle who can actually run forward with the ball at this feet rather than just looking for a simple square pass

Last edited:
Again, I completely understand that but the fans have been given 0 to believe in a different way of thinking. You can't blame the fans for a shit strategy just because at one point in time they might of thought it was a good idea as well.

By signing Will Grigg for a record in this league they decimated any other way of doing things, it signified far more than just a very bad signing. It showed some fans that it is ok to kick and scream when we aren't spending way above our means. It showed clubs that they should indeed charge a "Sunderland" tax.

If they truly incorporated a scaled-down Dortmund model instead of using a throwaway comment, communicated exactly what they were hoping to accomplish and how, along with the time they foresaw it taking and what the process should be judged on, at the very least you wouldn't have dickheads like me sticking the boot in at every opportunity.

Failing that, rely upon optimization instead of inspiration. R.B Leipzig didn't factor their fans' thoughts into their strategy.
I'm not apportioning blame, I'm simply making an observation on today's society. If I owned the club, I'd say : "This is how we're going to do it. Then set out a simple plan (possibly something along the lines adopted by Dortmund or Southampton), based on the development of the Academy players allied to analytics & mathematical modeling & extensive scouting along the lines of those used by the owner of Brentford & Midtjylland (Matthew Benham). I'd stress that we weren't going to make any big money signings at this level & that all future acquisitions would be commensurate with income & league status & based (but not exclusively reliant) on a combination of shrewd scouting & mathematical modeling. I'd urge the fans to come along for the ride, in the full knowledge that it might take 5-10 years to get us sorted. Whether or not the fans were onside, I'd press ahead, as promised. I wouldn't succumb to the lure of a quick but expensive fix. This, at least, is the theory, the template. Would I be hounded out? Who knows?!

Last edited:

Back