Any tips for quick lower back pain recovery?

FReaK

Striker
3 weeks back in the gym now since they reopened and I felt my lower back go whilst squatting last night.

I've woke up this morning barely able to put my socks on without wincing in pain 😂

I'm lifting 50% lower than I was before lockdown so didnt think I'd gone too heavy but perhaps I have.

Any tips for a speedy recovery?

Possibly not what you want to hear, but speed & recovery don’t often go, the best thing would be to lay off the weights for a little while.

Lower back stretching for even a few minutes per day will help. Take it from me who had very bad sciatica and lower back issues for years and tried to train through it - you’re better off resting.

After that, when you train again, have someone check your form. The injury may be due to imbalance instead of load.

Gutted.

Started strength training in September 2019 and it's been stop-start pretty much since I began. I'd make a load of progress then have to start back from scratch again at the end of every lockdown.

It's been frustrating, so this injury is a real kick in the nuts considering I'd just got going again.

Keep moving would be my recommendation, I’d definitely recommend some physio/bodywork with Claudia and Jo at Pressure Point who do a lot of work with folk that lift. Best of luck with the recovery!

3 weeks back in the gym now since they reopened and I felt my lower back go whilst squatting last night.

I've woke up this morning barely able to put my socks on without wincing in pain 😂

I'm lifting 50% lower than I was before lockdown so didnt think I'd gone too heavy but perhaps I have.

Might be a bit late to this thread, but yoga for the core and a stretching yoga helped me massively with my lower back. Was always sceptical about yoga but now can't praise it enough. Especially as I'm getting older.

Possibly not what you want to hear, but speed & recovery don’t often go, the best thing would be to lay off the weights for a little while.

Lower back stretching for even a few minutes per day will help. Take it from me who had very bad sciatica and lower back issues for years and tried to train through it - you’re better off resting.

After that, when you train again, have someone check your form. The injury may be due to imbalance instead of load.
This and This...had exactly the same thing, I also gave it two weeks after the last twinge before retuning to the gym...good luck and good health 👍
I’m thinking of giving up squatting altogether my bad is that bad. Already given dead lifts.
Talking of dead lifts jogged my memory...is necrophilia with your missus ilegal? You'd think so, but most times I wouldn't know if my missus was even awake, and could just merrily carry on, have a smoke, fart and go to sleep :D

I'm not even on the bong tonight :eek:

Last edited:
I’m thinking of giving up squatting altogether my bad is that bad. Already given dead lifts.

I can't stress enough how much a core strength and stretching yoga routine will help your back.

At the very least it will give you a
stronger core, which may help you squat and lift for longer in life.

should be mandatory for anyone approaching middle age and onwards.

Im hopeless at it but there is a lass who does free videos for beginners and her core one seems great, will ask the Mrs what she is called and post again.

Edit Honest yoga NI she goes by.

Last edited:
I can't stress enough how much a core strength and stretching yoga routine will help your back.

At the very least it will give you a
stronger core, which may help you squat and lift for longer in life.

should be mandatory for anyone approaching middle age and onwards.

Im hopeless at it but there is a lass who does free videos for beginners and her core one seems great, will ask the Mrs what she is called and post again.

Edit Honest yoga NI she goes by.
Not so much yoga but I stretch every morning for about 30mins.

Not so much yoga but I stretch every morning for about 30mins.

I have been getting lower back pain for a while now, probably due to slouching on cheap office chairs for 8 hours a day.

But if I do her core yoga it does help. managed to get about 6 months pain free when I did it properly every night, but then I thought I had solved the problem and just let things slide again.

Deffo worth a try before giving anything up.

Need to identify the root cause. Stretching the lower back may reduce pain for a while but need to find the issue and the subsequent imbalances that have resulted from it/caused it

Probably something like a slipped disc causing sciatica. I had 6 weeks of it in January 😢

Physio/chiropractor/yoga/pilates/stretching and exercise at least 1 x daily (important to include legs in stretching as it can cause piriformis syndrome too)

You aren’t forced to do a particular exercise m8.

A lot of people do not have the mobility for barbell squats. The training programmes include them as they’re an optimal compound movement, but you can work the muscles with other exercises. Unless you’re a competitive power lifter then it’s not the end of the world.

I do deadlifts, barbell/Bulgarian split squats, goblet squats with raised heels, even machines if I have a back ‘twinge’.

If you're feeling pinching take ibuprofen to stop it getting worse.
I'd do crossed leg ankle on other knee sitting up and pressing on the knee of the leg on top as you lean forward with a straight back until you find the pull to stretch out.
I'd have an epsom salt bath and think about seeing an osteopath before lifting weights again.

Can’t post pics on here but I’ve bought a mat with very fine plastic spines on it, use it for 20 minutes before bed.. lie on it to make sure the affected area is on it, mind getting on and off it is horrendous but not too bad once your on it.. not a cure obviously but can ( for me anyway ) offer bit of relief from the pain..

suffered since my early 20’s with back trouble. Started in lower back but it’s gradually moving up over the years.. starting to get bother as far up as the neck now.

tried all kinds but I’ve not found anything that helps long term.. in my case I think once it’s gone it’s about managing the pain.. recently changed jobs which has been a massive help. Previous job was very physical and probably as much to blame as anything for the ongoing problems..

you will know what works for you, your body will tell you but I reckon it’s just trial and error..

Good luck.

Back