Any Sparks fans?

Son of Stan

Striker
Edgar Wright has made a documentary on the Mael brothers. Sparks were the first band I ever saw as a young teen. Nice to see someone recognize how influential they have been.

I was just singing Never turn your back on mother earth to myself yesterday too. 😁

Apologies if seb, I hadn't seen anything mentioned. No apologies if no one gives a fcuk either. 😄

Morrissey was a fan.
Depeche Mode too apparently.

My first "proper" (ie. not VA) album was Kimono My House, very heavy for a pop band.
Lyrically they are on their own. I remember playing that album and 'getting' the double meaning in Hasta Manana Monsieur:
You mentioned Kant and I was shocked
You know, where I come from, none of the girls have such foul tongues

And I thought, yeah!

Have been making original and somewhat eccentric music for decades. Disappointed I missed their last gig in Newcastle but looking forward to the doc.
Got my mate the most recent album for Christmas, on coloured vinyl.

They did a tour a few years ago and played a complete, different album each night. Thats some going. I bet rehearsals were fun!

On the police re union tour they were reheasing up to 10 hours a day for 3 weeks - I'm sure they took a few breaks for tea and arguements

A great duo. I remember when a lot of people were offloading their old records with the advent of CDs that I picked up copies of the Kimono My House and Propoganda LPs for a quid each in a second hand shop on Hylton Road. I remembered them from the This Town Ain't Big Enough For The Both Of Us single but was smitten with how good the whole of both albums were.

Back