Any signs of improvement?

No improvement to the style of play.

f***ing Ipswich get dicked every week in the championship, come down, spend no money and all of a sudden they’re unbeaten and have only conceded 4 goals all season. f***ing joke but shows what a competent manager can do with abit of organisation
That's down to quality ( or lack of in our case ) of playing staff not manager.

He’s atrocious. There was a point in the game when O’Nien got injured and the Rotherham manager got all his players in. Whether it be instructions or just to try and fire them up, it’s a lot more than the arrogant dosser in our technical area did.

Spends the game with his hands in his pockets wondering how on earth he’s earning 350 grand a year to fail to achieve anything.

Got to go.

Agree noticed that. He doesn't seem to inspire.

No improvement at all. In fact there's been periods - first half at Ipswich, second half last night - when we've looked far worse than we did at any point last season. Rest of the time it's been as per last season: not controlling games, allowing the opposition team to have as much possession as they want, not being able to keep clean sheets and relying on the individual quality of certain players to get us anything out of games.

We will always win and draw enough games in this league because two thirds of our opponents are really quite poor. Owing to this on paper our results are not bad but the point that Ross seems to miss is that so far as the remaining teams are concerned we're simply in the mix and we are nothing exceptional. We therefore need to be a lot better than we are now to win an automatic promotion spot.

McNulty is like getting a better version of Maja back.
Is he shite :) Maja is playing for Bordeaux at 19 and McNulty is on loan from Reading at the age of 27...He's the best we've got, and looks decent at this level, but he's nowhere near as good as Maja. Maja had 15 goals by Christmas last year, at the age of 19.

We failed last year - 5th was a very poor performance. So the owners, rightly, put a target of 100 points. To do that we need marked improvement from last year. Ross targeted more clean sheets which has totally failed. So can anyone see any improvement or signs of improvement because I genuinely think we are worse than we were at the start of last season. I cannot see how Ross is going to turn us into a top 2 team.

Logon or register to see this image

Given that he didn't learn from his mistakes from November onwards last season the odds of him realising what went wrong and rectifying it effectively over the summer were remote at best. Should have been sacked within a week of the play-off final

No improvement to the style of play.

The start of yesterday’s game and the spell in a game earlier this season where we scored (which I forget who it was against every time I reference it) are the two occasions where I’ve thought “that’s it, that’s how we need to play”. Slick incisive passing and movement that no team in the league can live with.

However, that’s about an hour total from 8 league games and the rest of the time we don’t seem to know how play together. How is that even possible?!?

That's down to quality ( or lack of in our case ) of playing staff not manager.

I disagree. We can play football. We just don’t.

Well we want to win the league. Correct? Last we would have had to get 96 points to win the league so why would a target of 100 points be wrong? Last year I think Ross's target was 92 points and we ended up with 85 points. Obviously, with Bury out the league the 100 points target will reduce. As I mentioned on another thread a number of opposition managers said last year, with our squad, we should be running away with the league and that was after we swapped Maja for Grigg.

Well we want to win the league. Correct? Last we would have had to get 96 points to win the league so why would a target of 100 points be wrong? Last year I think Ross's target was 92 points and we ended up with 85 points. Obviously, with Bury out the league the 100 points target will reduce. As I mentioned on another thread a number of opposition managers said last year, with our squad, we should be running away with the league and that was after we swapped Maja for Grigg.

We want to win the league yea.

We want to win the champions league.

The owners can want whatever they like but unless they are going to be the best owners in the division, they have no divine right to expect us to walk the league.

The 100 points thing was idiotic crowd-pleasing if they were aware we had no money to spend. We have a slightly worse squad than last year and I don't think last years squad deserved to walk the league either?

Something has to break the cycle of the clubs problems being purely the "manager" it employs at the time, it simply isn't and while I am far from a Jack Ross fan, we have bigger problems that are undiagnosed and will remain all the time that fingers get pointed squarely at the "manager".

The owners can want whatever they like but unless they are going to be the best owners in the division, they have no divine right to expect us to walk the league.

The 100 points thing was idiotic crowd-pleasing if they were aware we had no money to spend. We have a slightly worse squad than last year and I don't think last years squad deserved to walk the league either?

Something has to break the cycle of the clubs problems being purely the "manager" it employs at the time, it simply isn't and while I am far from a Jack Ross fan, we have bigger problems that are undiagnosed and will remain all the time that fingers get pointed squarely at the "manager".
I don't think the squad has a divine right to win the league but I don't think he gets the best out of the squad and I don't think anyone has a better squad in this division and 90+ points should be well achievable. I have never called for a manager's head and think our turnover of managers has been a big part of the problem. However, this year only promotion is acceptable and if, as I believe, the manager is not getting the best out of his resources then we should get in a manage who can. The fact that Ross's teams play football that is generally awful to watch would be OK if we were constantly top 2. Ross has had 70 odd games here and last year under achieved. There are no signs whatsoever to suggest that he won't under achieve this year. To repeat his a long way short of getting the best out of the resources he has available.

Sorry, and the other point I would make that the positive and ambitious points target made a refreshing change compared to a manager who puts out a team designed for 0-0 in a Wembley final or replaces a striker with a midfield last night because we are playing mighty Rotherham at home.

Last edited:
You wouldn’t think the manager, recruitment staff & owners were on the same page. Ross hasn’t openly complained about signings so he’s happy with the players, yet he can barely get a 90 minute tune out of them.

We failed last year - 5th was a very poor performance. So the owners, rightly, put a target of 100 points. To do that we need marked improvement from last year. Ross targeted more clean sheets which has totally failed. So can anyone see any improvement or signs of improvement because I genuinely think we are worse than we were at the start of last season. I cannot see how Ross is going to turn us into a top 2 team.
Its pretty simple, he is not.

I don't think the squad has a divine right to win the league but I don't think he gets the best out of the squad and I don't think anyone has a better squad in this division and 90+ points should be well achievable. I have never called for a manager's head and think our turnover of managers has been a big part of the problem. However, this year only promotion is acceptable and if, as I believe, the manager is not getting the best out of his resources then we should get in a manage who can. The fact that Ross's teams play football that is generally awful to watch would be OK if we were constantly top 2. Ross has had 70 odd games here and last year under achieved. There are no signs whatsoever to suggest that he won't under achieve this year. To repeat his a long way short of getting the best out of the resources he has available.

Sorry, and the other point I would make that the positive and ambitious points target made a refreshing change compared to a manager who puts out a team designed for 0-0 in a Wembley final or replaces a striker with a midfield last night because we are playing mighty Rotherham at home.

That's fine marra, just differing opinions on squad capability and the sound bites being positive and ambitious rather than harmful.

Is he shite :) Maja is playing for Bordeaux at 19 and McNulty is on loan from Reading at the age of 27...He's the best we've got, and looks decent at this level, but he's nowhere near as good as Maja. Maja had 15 goals by Christmas last year, at the age of 19.

27 year old McNulty is on par with 19 year old Maja. That's all that really matters. Yeah, Josh will be better in a few years time. But for this year, McNulty is the key.

Back